You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

cash for points

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
hi everyone just a quick question about the subject. Whats the best way to earn cash for points??

is it playing MTTS, playing high stakes cash or DYM, Ive started playing a couple of cash tables at a time with a little success but dont seem to getting many points for my work. I see a lot of people playing all day and night is this the only way to earn those mega points and get into the priority club?? 

I know its a bit of a stupid question but one i think i need to know. Cheers!!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I personally wouldn't worry about getting X amount of points in a month. Especially if your playing anything below £40nl or say £20sngs, just concentrate on playing well and the rest will come.

But FWIW I'm clocking about 21 points per hour playing mainly 1 (sometimes 2) tables of £50nl.  I really wouldn't focus on points tho, until you start playing (and being rolled for) £0.5/1, £1/2, £1/3, seriously!!
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah don't worry too much about getting Priority, it's not exactly easy for most people.

But to answer your question, MTTs are the worst way of earning C4P by a country mile. Essentially you earn C4P based on how much rake you pay to Sky, so for SnGs (whether it be DYMs, HU SnGs or whatever) and MTTs, you get 10 poker points for every £1 of rake you pay. So if you go into a tournament where the buyin is £10 + £1, you'll get 10 points as you paid £1 in rake. Likewise if you play the £11 DYMs that is £10 + £1 so you get 10 points for them too, but obviously you could play about 10 DYMs in the time it takes to play 1 MTT.

The best ways of earning poker points are generally cash poker (if you play 40NL+), DYMs and HU SnGs.

But like I say, it's not easy, last month, I was playing nothing but HU Hyper SnGs. I was playing £5.25 games, and played just over 1000 games and still only got just over 3000 poker points which I think was just over £40.

Notice by the way, I was paying 25p rake per game, so you get 3 points per game (they always round up the points on SnG/MTT buy-ins if it ends in 5p.
  • edited August 2012
    as lambert has said mtt is the worst route for making c4p.

the secret is being able to multi table either dym or cash and it really needs to be a minimum of 4. cash is the easiest route because you can take advantage of the 3 daily happy hours where you get a 50% boost on the points you earn within the designated times.

of course the higher the limits you play the more points you earn but you can still knock out a reasonable amount of c4p at the lower limits. last month i acheived priority just by playing at nl10 but i put in long hours 6 tabling every day. it is not something i am repeating this month as towards the end i found myself chasing the last few points rather than concentrating on playing winning poker.