You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl, v tight passive opponent, is this crackers?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxSmall blind  £0.15 £0.15 £36.92
spudman1 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £14.61
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

elbows7 Fold     
arnold03 Fold     
ronnieg197 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £67.92
xxxCall  £0.75 £2.10 £36.17
spudman1 Fold     
Flop

• K

xxxBet  £1.05 £3.15 £35.12
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.60 £6.75 £64.32
xxxCall  £2.55 £9.30 £32.57
Turn

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £6.00 £15.30 £58.32
xxxCall  £6.00 £21.30 £26.57
River

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH All-in

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2012
    yeah i think so, when he calls that turn card he's not folding to a blank river very often imo. if you wanted to continue i'd probably bet the turn a bit bigger though fwiw.
  • edited August 2012
    Well you can get him off a turned flush but im not in love with the play,

players dont fold on paired brds

im 50/50 depends what mood im in, but i probably give up after the turn vs a tight passive oppo
  • edited August 2012
    Fair play to you for firing 3 streets, need more specific information on villain really before being able to give any useful advice tho. ie how does he play nut flush draw no pair here? or non nut flush? 2 pair or JJ,TT,99? (presuming his not 3betting 99+ pre)

Also why are you taking the line?  Because you like your hand? Or because you don't believe his donk? If his tight passive then what is he doing this with?
  • edited August 2012
    just give up to his donk bet imo

if you got him to fold then congrats... seems unlikely though.

• edited August 2012
    awfull turn card soon as u get called surely u must know ya beat not sure what u trying to rep ak maybe 
  • edited August 2012
    looks fine but I am crackers !
  • edited August 2012
    Why are you raising flop v tight passive?  From the bare read you posted I just fold flop and move on, but flop do king range is important

On river you can make him fold a flush, but thats it
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 30nl, v tight passive opponent, is this crackers?:
    awfull turn card soon as u get called surely u must know ya beat not sure what u trying to rep ak maybe 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    but he could easily be beat on the turn by the flush, but the river brings houses,  soo the flush would have to fold river .......

Not too sure i love the play myself, if he snaps you off with a king,  seems like a waste of money , espeically if he his tight passive.   Although when it works, its genius .....     espeically if you show the bluff ;)
  • edited August 2012

I'm really bad with reads, I don't know what I'm sposed to post alot of the time if I haven't played any hands with the villain...

He just folds pre flop loads, I open loads of buttons & small blinds when it's unopened and he just folds almost always.

It doesn't help that sky dont let me make notes on mini view, if I have to click on another table I can't finish the note when I click back on to the box, it's very tilting.

Need to work on getting better reads, any advice?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm really bad with reads, I don't know what I'm sposed to post alot of the time if I haven't played any hands with the villain... He just folds pre flop loads, I open loads of buttons & small blinds when it's unopened and he just folds almost always. It doesn't help that sky dont let me make notes on mini view, if I have to click on another table I can't finish the note when I click back on to the box, it's very tilting. Need to work on getting better reads, any advice?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

give up river, learn to make notes.
  • edited August 2012
    probz. bet turn bigger
  • edited August 2012

He just folds pre flop loads, I open loads of buttons & small blinds when it's unopened and he just folds almost always.  Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Just use deduction and make assumptions; reads are always going to be vague/grey/unclear but you just have to go with your instincts imo and develop them the more you play with someone. And then develop a specific strategy against that player.  Practice this loads, pick one villain and bully the %$£ out of him taking lines against what you deduce in real time - the better you get at it the more players you can do this to. 

So from what you've said, we know his playing very tight pre, we can steal his blinds with impunity and cbet him when he whiffs flop very often.  His going to be playing a very tight range. And reraising his prem range pre so when he flats its pretty easy to run through the type of hands his going to hold. 22-TT, KQ, AJ, prob even some hands like A9s KTs, QJs, and some SCs when we've been hammering him.

Subsequently when he calls pre, he has a fit or fold range, his prob folding small underpairs alot. And Bet/Raising a set of 8s or 2s. So when he bet/calls flop his range is narrowed to Kx and Flush Draws imo. Which means that turn is horrible for us for both Kx and FDs and I prob shut down on river. Also FWIW betting £4 on turn achieves the same as betting £6 but when we get called we save a little.