You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i cant believe it, beat on a full house???

on the bounty hunter i had pocket 8s and just called, the flop came i was loving it 2 8 2, full house on flop so checked the guy next to me checked and the next guy went all in i took a bit of time hoping when it comes round to the guy next to me hed call aswell, he didnt. the cards were shown i had 88 the other guy had 8J i was thinking yea thats good. the flop came it was a J and then the river a J so thats the way to take the wind out of someones sails.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    lol, nowt you can do about that one, hope you didnt lose much
  • edited November 2009
    man, THREE people have started threads in the past two weeks telling this exact same story, there house being beten by another, weird.
  • edited November 2009
    Nothing that unual about it. On a double paired board, it is inevitable it will happen regularly.

If you have the lower end of the FH, it pays to beware.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: i cant believe it, beat on a full house???:
    Nothing that unual about it. On a double paired board, it is inevitable it will happen regularly. If you have the lower end of the FH, it pays to beware.
    Posted by Hale72
    Think you mis read it hale, they had 88 v j8 on a 282 flop, he wont be geting beat regulary, to catch running jacks.

You just got very unlucky on this occasion
  • edited November 2009
    No, I perfectly understood.

Running jacks was the only way out, however once the board double it was game over.

Unfortunate, but thats poker.

Had he not been all in on the flop, would he have been prepared to fold his FH on the river? I think not.
  • edited November 2009
    I dont think i could fold river tbh if i had been betting all the streets.

But like he said he was all in on the flop so that rules out thinking about folding river. I think hes a 99% fav here over someone needing running jacks so yea its harsh luck.

I do see were your coming from tho, paired boards can be nasty and having the lower end you need to be prepared to fold.
  • edited November 2009
    No, I perfectly understood. Running jacks was the only way out, however once the board double it was game over. Unfortunate, but thats poker. Had he not been all in on the flop, would he have been prepared to fold his FH on the river? I think not.
    Posted by Hale72
    He's holding the Top full house when he calls the other guys all-in. it's the 2nd nuts on that board (only beaten by the very unlikley 2 2 for quads). I'm kind of lost with what your point is here Hale (with all due respect).He couldn't fold it so I don't understand what your saying. The runner runner house to beat him is a freak occurance
  • edited November 2009
    question only hevace can answer.  If the game went the other way and he slow played and it was checked to the river I would have folded a raise or all in against me.
  • edited November 2009
    You can do no more than being in front when the chips go in, I understand that.

At the point of the all in, only 60% of the flop cards had been played. Hevv's hand could not improve further.

Unfortunately, the opponents hand could, and did. It just happens. That's the beauty of poker. Runner Runner cards are rare but not unheard of.

Like I say, had the hand been played slower, would he have been able to put it down?
  • edited November 2009
    If this goes to the river then not knowing the player i don't know what his reaction is going to be. For me if i play this hand weak enough for it to get to the river and the guy pushes on me there then i don't consider it that hard a laydown (and i take myself out to the car park for a good talking to as it should have never got there). I don't see this getting to the river though. If he doesn't push on the flop as he does then he most certainly is going to bet when he has top 2 pair on the turn, our hero will re-raise this slightly and the guy will come over the top. I'm almost certain that the money is going in on this before the river 99% of the time in a bounty hunter
  • edited November 2009
    The odds of hitting the required (runner, ruuner) jacks is 329/1 so I think we can all agree that this is a very bad beat.
    He would also have lost if t=2 & r=2 so, in fact, the actual odds of losing the hand are 246.5/1.
  • edited November 2009
    The J8's chances of winning are two different runner + runner chances being on the condition that he either hits one of the 2's and then the remaining case 2 or hits one of the J's and then one of the two remaining J's.

I work out the J8's chances of winning are (2/47 x 1/46) + (3/47 x 2/46)

which is (2/2162) + (6/2162) = 8/2162 = 1/270.25 = odds of 269.25:1

Very unlucky for you to lose the hand in that fashion but we dont know your respective positions but I am guessing you were the small blind and tht J8 limped in, we also dont know your chip stacks and head values.... if J8 had you well covered and you had a good bounty on your head you cant complain that they pushed in, you got the action you wanted, they got the chance to take your head and this time they got a miracle hand to bail them out - If your hand had held up would they have been short stacked or would they still have had you covered?  If you had raised or even jammed all in preflop would they have called?  Its all ifs and buts now, but my general point is that you get more marginal decisions (such as all in with J8 on a 822 flop) in a Bounty Hunter and so more bad beats.
  • edited November 2009
    unlucky, the other 270 other times you flopped a full house and the other guy flopped top pair, you won a lot of money. Just this once you lose some :)
  • edited November 2009
    unlucky, the other 270 other times you flopped a full house and the other guy flopped top pair, you won a lot of money. Just this once you lose some :)
    Posted by Hogg321
    Its 135:1 that you flop a FH when you have a PP and its 1087:1 for any two random cards to flop it!

The J8 couldnt really have expected to be up against a FH but its a sick old game innit! ;-)
  • edited November 2009
    The J8's chances of winning are two different runner + runner chances being on the condition that he either hits one of the 2's and then the remaining case 2 or hits one of the J's and then one of the two remaining J's. I work out the J8's chances of winning are (2/47 x 1/46) + (3/47 x 2/46) which is (2/2162) + (6/2162) = 8/2162 = 1/270.25 = odds of 269.25:1 Very unlucky for you to lose the hand in that fashion but we dont know your respective positions but I am guessing you were the small blind and tht J8 limped in, we also dont know your chip stacks and head values.... if J8 had you well covered and you had a good bounty on your head you cant complain that they pushed in, you got the action you wanted, they got the chance to take your head and this time they got a miracle hand to bail them out - If your hand had held up would they have been short stacked or would they still have had you covered?  If you had raised or even jammed all in preflop would they have called?  Its all ifs and buts now, but my general point is that you get more marginal decisions (such as all in with J8 on a 822 flop) in a Bounty Hunter and so more bad beats.
    Posted by Rattious
    Since there are seven known cards after the flop, the denominators in your fractions should be 45 and 44. That's how I came to my figure.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: i cant believe it, beat on a full house??? : Since there are seven known cards after the flop, the denominators in your fractions should be 45 and 44. That's how I came to my figure.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Quiet right! As you say with both players cards showing there are only 1980 possible card combinations not the 2162 I was working on - school boy error!