You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Kickers..

I know my opponent was in the wrong for raising up with K6, but the call I made, was it the correct move. As was I right to call with a 10 kicker?
The reason I called was because she was a tight player but whenever she got an ace or king she would send them in.

Would you guys of played this hand any other way? reraising pre flop considering the blinds and stack sizes?

Fugly69 Small blind  150.00 150.00 4287.50
repoman Big blind  300.00 450.00 562.50
  Your hole cards
  • K

ironman404 Raise  600.00 1050.00 3650.00
kelsey01 Fold     
rerouter Fold     
bluff1991 Call  600.00 1650.00 1750.00
Fugly69 Fold     
repoman Fold     
Flop

• K

ironman404 Bet  1650.00 3300.00 2000.00
bluff1991 All-in  1750.00 5050.00 0.00
ironman404 Call  100.00 5150.00 1900.00
ironman404 Show
  • K

bluff1991 Show
  • K

Turn

River

ironman404 Win Straight to the 7 5150.00  7050.00

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Probably made the correct call with your chip stack size, you were just unlucky This is probably a very bad example to use if you want to discuss kickers with relation to options available
  • edited November 2009
    Personally I dont consider a 10 to be a good kicker,  on this hand you had less than 10 blinds and being faced with a raise (all be it a min raise) if you think the player is weak you should be all in or fold. Can't see them calling another 1700 with K6. OK this time you actually got it in ahead and got unlucky, but if you missed and folded you left with 5 or 6 blinds and no room to make a play or get anyonw to fold when you shove all in.

Try and be the aggressor and make the others make the decisions, doing that there you would of got the villan to fold and you take the pot pre-flop (although im a nit and would of probably folded K10 in that spot with that stack)
  • edited November 2009
    u was unlucky u will be surpriesd how many pots u win by haveing a good kicker
  • edited November 2009
    Frilly pink ones!
  • edited November 2009

No Pez,

Kickers,  Not Knickers!

• edited November 2009
      First thing i can see with this hand is that the initial raise was by a big stack to put pressure on the small stack in the BB. Your call made it easy for the BB to fold.
      As far as raising with K6 is concerned, i have no problem with it. If you are going to play K6 then you should be raising with it. It is much easier to bet with marginal hands than it is to call with them. 
      I did not like your flat call on the flop at all, you called off a quarter of your stack hoping to see a good flop. Seeing as we only hit 1 in 3 flops calling off that much is a bad play. You only had 2 sensible options which were the reraise all-in or fold. Either of which were fine in this situation.

Looking at the hands the allin would have led to folds all round, unless real fishy calling happened,which would have led to 1050 chips being added to your stack uncontested.With you only sat on 2350 that constitutes a big gain.By flat calling you had only left yourself a pot size stack and so you could not bet your opponent off the hand.

When you are down to 8 BB which you were your only options are shove or fold. In this case either option is acceptable. Your opponent owned you here not by his cards but by making you play the pot his way. The secret to winning poker  is to ask the difficult questions and not be put in a position to answer the difficult questions.

I know all these things are easy in hindsight. But ask yourself one question, after putting a quarter of your stack in the pot would you have folded if the board had come A72. If the answer is yes then think of why you put that much into the pot just to see the flop.

Hope that some of this helps
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Kickers..:
    No Pez, Kickers,  Not Knickers!
    Posted by Hale72
    ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Ur mistake was pre flop with the flat call.  At that stage, with ur chip stack its a simple shove or fold.  The flop helps u this time but how often will it come like this?  The 10 kicker vs the 6 kicker is irrelevant - the flat call here is the problem.