You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl.

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
1) No reads here. We check calling? check folding? bet/calling? or shoving?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
N1CK Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £30.26
gerry22 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £104.52
 Your hole cards
  • Q

DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £25.20
AJ_Rockets Fold     
1-DAY Call  £1.20 £2.85 £46.67
bolly580 Fold     
N1CK Fold     
gerry22 Fold     
Flop

• J

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.80 £4.65 £23.40
1-DAY Call  £1.80 £6.45 £44.87
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £4.80 £11.25 £18.60
1-DAY Call  £4.80 £16.05 £40.07
River

• Q

DOHHHHHHH All-in  £18.60 £34.65 £0.00
1-DAY

2) Again no reads but know this guy is a winning player. I've played with him quite abit and should really have some more information to give, but I haven't.

Happy to shove the river here? Or hope he checks back?

*Edit didn't realise how little he had back when I first re-read the HH, looks a no brainer now. Turn probably too big.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £41.01
bolly580 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £58.19
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

bawbag1 Fold     
havinitoff Fold     
AJ_Rockets Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £28.95
EVY Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.30 £4.65 £37.71
bolly580 Fold     
AJ_Rockets Call  £2.55 £7.20 £26.40
Flop

• Q

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £4.00 £11.20 £33.71
AJ_Rockets Call  £4.00 £15.20 £22.40
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £11.00 £26.20 £22.71
AJ_Rockets Call  £11.00 £37.20 £11.40
River

• K

DOHHHHHHH All-in  £22.71 £59.91 £0.00
AJ_Rockets

Comments

• edited August 2012
    h1 c/f river

h2  i dont like pre vs unknown, want to be 3betting a polarised range when we dont know how he plays, with kjo you will just get into messy spots with tpgk where you are probably just going to valuetown yourself

i want to say c/f river  but he's so short.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl.:
    h1 c/f river h2  i dont like pre vs unknown, want to be 3betting a polarised range when we dont know how he plays, with kjo you will just get into messy spots with tpgk where you are probably just going to valuetown yourself i want to say c/f river  but he's so short.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Could I ask why you say this?  Is it because of flush & str8's?  Also, is flop & turn OK?
  • edited August 2012
    1 c/f river

2 flat pre. Prob just jam river, c/f if deeper. Sometimes give up on turn

You seem to be just randomly 3betting hands readless v villains. You need to start establishing 3bet/flat/fold ranges depending on villain and position. You need to pay attention to your own image and how villains are playing and adapting to adjust accordingly and make it profitable. If you want to play 97 tables and autopilot then just nit it up. I doubt just saying you regs suck I am awesome and am going to keep exploiting you will work without you thinking clearly about what you are doing
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl.:
    1 c/f river 2 flat pre. Prob just jam river, c/f if deeper. Sometimes give up on turn You seem to be just randomly 3betting hands readless v villains. You need to start establishing 3bet/flat/fold ranges depending on villain and position. You need to pay attention to your own image and how villains are playing and adapting to adjust accordingly and make it profitable. If you want to play 97 tables and autopilot then just nit it up. I doubt just saying you regs suck I am awesome and am going to keep exploiting you will work without you thinking clearly about what you are doing
    Posted by grantorino
    Not sure I do this. I think they are exploitable, ofc they are they play 30nl, but I don't know how to do it and have never boasted that I do. The opposite if anything.

Although the bolded bit does seem to work for Smitalos :P

Don't really know how to go about doing what you say above. I probably 3b this hand because I had nothing happening on the other 3/4 tables I was on at the time. Natural variation!

Also I thought it was good to 3b 'blockers' but not apparently not? It's all very confusing.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl. : Not sure I do this. I think they are exploitable, ofc they are they play 30nl, but I don't know how to do it and have never boasted that I do. The opposite if anything. Although the bolded bit does seem to work for Smitalos :P Don't really know how to go about doing what you say above. I probably 3b this hand because I had nothing happening on the other 3/4 tables I was on at the time. Natural variation! Also I thought it was good to 3b 'blockers' but not apparently not? It's all very confusing.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Most of my reply should prob be in your other thread about exploiting regs

My point is not that you are big headed, rather that you want to exploit regs but just kinda think ok I can start 3betting wider and it will automatically happen.  3b KJ here is a perfect example. You have no reason to, you just do.  

If you want to exploit regs you need to pay attention to their tendencies. You also need to take into account your own image. If you start 3betting them a lot , you need to see how they adjust then adjust yourself accordingly. In other words you need to work at exploiting people. Also you will still make most of your money from fish

Having blockers when you 3b is good when you are bluffing. No idea whether you are bluffing in hand above, but it's a strongish hand to bluff
  • edited August 2012
    You should not be 3betting KJ oop just because you are doing nothing on your other 3/4 tables.. thats just ridiculous.

• edited August 2012

im not a fan of how you played either hand but both hands seem like the players are caling to hit or have top pair 1st hand i think you get away with the move as i cant see what he has except from a j not great kicker

hand 2 i wouldnt be suprised if you lost all your cash and snap called with 2 pair straight or something else that beats you

both these hands are very badly played on river you going to get snapped off by better hands and lose all your cash

• edited August 2012
    im not a fan of how you played either hand but both hands seem like the players are caling to hit or have top pair 1st hand i think you get away with the move as i cant see what he has except from a j not great kicker hand 2 i wouldnt be suprised if you lost all your cash and snap called with 2 pair straight or something else that beats you both these hands are very badly played on river you going to get snapped off by better hands and lose all your cash
    Posted by DrRunGood
    Gd read :P

Not so good :P

I got lucky.
  • edited August 2012
    How sure are you that your value shoving or bluffing these rivers :S

kinda out on a limb )
  • edited August 2012
    How sure are you that your value shoving or bluffing these rivers :S kinda out on a limb )
    Posted by rancid
    Not sure at all, hence the post.

Just feels weird barrelling away with air then I make top pair and c/f? wutttt.

I probably shove both rivers if I miss anyway (wud have failed both times). Just can't help myself. 
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl. : Not sure at all, hence the post. Just feels weird barrelling away with air then I make top pair and c/f? wutttt. I probably shove both rivers if I miss anyway (wud have failed both times). Just can't help myself. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    given the fact that you miss rivers 75% of the time, oppo's will have to fold how much of the time to make this +EV :S

So basically how often would these oppo fold to the third barrel, are they realy folding TP to you with your image ?

Plus how often do you plan to actually be ahead before river to make this whole scenrio worhwhile, 60% of the time !

Think I am coming down with a cold, stooopId weather + air con !

Think your going to come unstuck here the majority of the time, but hey you kinda feel obliged to shove river now in both scenrios don't you. When your semi bluffing turn with equity and pick up river card for very possible TP, checking sometimes is best me thinks but it can't hurt to bet for some value can it. Even though with the river bet you may just value town yourself ) But I think it's reasonable to say oppo got TP on flop so why not go for some value init ! at least river shove is merged & stuff.

edit: I did say merged but not too sure what the range merging is all about )

gg
  • edited August 2012

Do you ever stop to think how easy you would be to play against?

Barrell barrell barrell barrell 3bet light barrell barrell barrell yawnnn

Basically it would be +EV to just call you down with top pair / 2nd pair because you don't have it enough. Also are you taking this line when you actually have it? like if you have K9 and it comes 9 6 4 are you barrelling 3 streets as well?

If your opponents have adjusted to how you play then shoving the river is less bad, if they haven't adapted then shoving is terrible.

AJrockets seems competent but loves to hero so i'm guessing he snaped the river with a 9 or similar? Hand 1 you never get called by worse.

• edited August 2012
    Do you ever stop to think how easy you would be to play against? Barrell barrell barrell barrell 3bet light barrell barrell barrell yawnnn Basically it would be +EV to just call you down with top pair / 2nd pair because you don't have it enough. Also are you taking this line when you actually have it? like if you have K9 and it comes 9 6 4 are you barrelling 3 streets as well? If your opponents have adjusted to how you play then shoving the river is less bad, if they haven't adapted then shoving is terrible. AJrockets seems competent but loves to hero so i'm guessing he snaped the river with a 9 or similar? Hand 1 you never get called by worse.
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Well I'm trying to make myself hard to play against, I guess aggression isn't the way to do this anymore? What should I do? How do I learn to win playing loose aggressive?

I did.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl. : Well I'm trying to make myself hard to play against, I guess aggression isn't the way to do this anymore? What should I do? How do I learn to win playing loose aggressive? I did.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Never say never, lesson learnt.

Loose aggressive isn't just raising wider and barreling wider.. you're play is so random and uncalculated.

Are you asking ppl to type out the answer on 'how to play loose aggressive style profitably at 6max? cos that would take an age on a forum and you need to have certain levels of perception and ability. You also need to listen more, ppl comment how wreckless you play but you haven't seemed to adapt.

From what i see of your hands and the way you talk about the game, I'm 100% sure this would not be an overnight process. Why don't you get some coaching, maybe someone watching you in game might help you gain some clarity??
  • edited August 2012
    play in position is a big must theres aggression and theres aggression i prefer the tight aggresiver then loose aggresive when tight aggresive u can get away with the odd play now n then when loose aggresive people will call u down light yes when u do hit big u will get paid but how much will u lose b4 that happens 
  • edited August 2012
    One thing having a loose aggro image, it's another to know how to maximise the return
    Basically you just need to turn up with it more times than your oppo think you will )

classic differance is checking turn with 25% equity or betting it, don't think Dohhhhhhhhh play is that bad - can't understand why people are jumping all over him tbh - the majority would check river - obviously a safer option - but if Dohhhhhhh v/b river pot size and gets paid off then how is that bad -

If oppo's are calling him down lighter then frankly the trigger should go off that he needs to lower his bluffing frequency

adjust and exploit

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl. : Never say never, lesson learnt. Loose aggressive isn't just raising wider and barreling wider.. you're play is so random and uncalculated. Are you asking ppl to type out the answer on 'how to play loose aggressive style profitably at 6max? cos that would take an age on a forum and you need to have certain levels of perception and ability. You also need to listen more, ppl comment how wreckless you play but you haven't seemed to adapt. From what i see of your hands and the way you talk about the game, I'm 100% sure this would not be an overnight process. Why don't you get some coaching, maybe someone watching you in game might help you gain some clarity??
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Appreciate you taking the time to reply again. 

I normally know when I've played a hand bad, just don't really know how or why, or what I should be thinking etc.

It's good for other people to see too, especially when it's bad aggressive.

You've raised some great points in the replies you've posted over various threads.

I don't think I'd ever pay for poker coaching, at least not while I'm @ nl30/40. I've beaten the level in the past, feels like I can still beat it now, but I should be making more than I am. Hopefully it will come.

Can get the occasional gem of a post by putting hands here, sometimes something just clicks.

Also gets regs to 5bet shove 5high pre flop v me ;) lol

• edited August 2012
    1st hand,

half pot turn or check. We cant expect a lot to fold turn after calling the flop, nor can we expect to get raised often so betting is fine but i do prefer smaller c-bet since there's no real difference except influencing the size of the pot. Vs bad player i am checking here. River is awful imo, i think you only get called by AJ, and lose value to a much wider junkier range EDIT, i check river i think.

2nd hand,

3 bet smaller like ~2.50 (based on villain being good), it makes post flop life easier, if he calls your 3-bets ip every time you may have to adjust sizing, or simply 3 bet less. So with smaller sizing i could c-bet smaller, bet turn smaller, and easily c/f missed river without having invested half my stack in like you did. Play monster pots with fish, but keep the pot controlled vs good players you want to give them plenty of room to allow them to make mistakes.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 similar hands firing OOP with air and getting there otr? to V bet or not? 30nl. : Appreciate you taking the time to reply again.  I normally know when I've played a hand bad, just don't really know how or why, or what I should be thinking etc. It's good for other people to see too, especially when it's bad aggressive. You've raised some great points in the replies you've posted over various threads. I don't think I'd ever pay for poker coaching, at least not while I'm @ nl30/40. I've beaten the level in the past, feels like I can still beat it now, but I should be making more than I am. Hopefully it will come. Can get the occasional gem of a post by putting hands here, sometimes something just clicks. Also gets regs to 5bet shove 5high pre flop v me ;) lol
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Fair enough.. at least your posts spark some discussion and thought. Not just "shall i call here wit aces on a 6789 board.."
  • edited August 2012
    meh hand 1 you should be able to correctly c/f river but w/e it's nl30 I think you should be playing aggro enough when you have reads that you can jam this river for value against a lot of nl30 peeps. if it's your first hand with someone check river ldo.