You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl, got there again, facing river bet, call/raise(howmuch?)/shove??

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I must have tried to isolate the UTG opener here as I'd identified him as a weak player & I also have the button.

Recieved a cold call behind, and utg folds (fail!) :(

Gonna leave V's name in as I have no reads or anything.

Cbet I think is standard, and check back turn because I pick up equity and he's not gonna fold an ace.

Get there otr, as I always do, and he leads in to me......

What's my play here?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemccaw03 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £40.68 bolly580 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £28.65  Your hole cards 5 4    xxxRaise  £0.60 £1.05 £48.00 andybeth Fold     VINEY73 Fold     DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.80 £2.85 £27.75 mccaw03 Call  £1.65 £4.50 £39.03 bolly580 Fold     xxx Fold     Flop  J 6 A    mccaw03 Check     DOHHHHHHH Bet  £3.30 £7.80 £24.45 mccaw03 Call  £3.30 £11.10 £35.73 Turn  3    mccaw03 Check     DOHHHHHHH Check     River  J    mccaw03 Bet  £5.55 £16.65 £30.18 DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited August 2012
    just calling here if u raise think u only get called by better 
  • edited August 2012
    Why are you isolating a weak player with 5 hi? In what way is he weak? What is your image like?

Cbet smaller

Meh I don't like shoving readless. Prob call as he should have pps a lot which now either crush you or fold to a raise. Maybe click it back if he likes to call a lot

• edited August 2012
    cbet size is too big for a 3bet dry pot imo.. your leaving too much on the table when your bluffing.

think you should bet turn, you would carry on betting turn if you had AK right?

river is tempting to raise, not much I can see that your gonna lose to except 66, AJ and Axhh but I can't see what your gonna get value from unless villian is so sick of your 3bets that hes making calls oop with KJ/QJ/J10

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 30nl, got there again, facing river bet, call/raise(howmuch?)/shove??:
    cbet size is too big for a 3bet dry pot imo.. your leaving too much on the table when your bluffing. think you should bet turn, you would carry on betting turn if you had AK right? river is tempting to raise, not much I can see that your gonna lose to except 66, AJ and Axhh but I can't see what your gonna get value from unless villian is so sick of your 3bets that hes making calls oop with KJ/QJ/J10
    Posted by NColley
    What has what we would do with AK got to do with it? Are we going to play every hand the same. Turn gives us some equity but it's a really bad barrell card
  • ybyb
    edited August 2012
    cbet should be around half pot on that board imo

i don't know why villain has to have pocket pairs a lot, randomers love calling 3bets light at relatively low stakes, and i think Jx/Ax are far more likely than pocket pairs when he calls flop and bets river. i'd definitely be raising.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 30nl, got there again, facing river bet, call/raise(howmuch?)/shove??:
    cbet should be around half pot on that board imo i don't know why villain has to have pocket pairs a lot, randomers love calling 3bets light at relatively low stakes, and i think Jx/Ax are far more likely than pocket pairs when he calls flop and bets river. i'd definitely be raising.
    Posted by yb
    Well yeah, pps not so likely by river, although when people cold call 3bets oop pre I find they have pocket pairs a lot, but point taken

I think it's pretty hard to get called by worse when we raise river the way hand played out, but then I prob dont vbet thin enough in these spots
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 30nl, got there again, facing river bet, call/raise(howmuch?)/shove?? : What has what we would do with AK got to do with it? Are we going to play every hand the same. Turn gives us some equity but it's a really bad barrell card
    Posted by grantorino
    pick up lots of extra equity I prefer to build pot for the times it hits + can make him fold some of the time.

I can see/and understand the reasons for not betting the turn though.

• edited August 2012

i like how you played the hand.  as you're readless i probably play it very similar to this except maybe cbet flop slightly smaller.

on the river i'm probably raising an unknown nl30 player who bets half pot pretty much every single time unless i have some reads/notes.  i'd expect to be called a lot of worse hands.  raise /> call

• edited August 2012
    Dohhhhhh

WAT ZE FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK

Have I misread the turn card and the action?

we have 3bet 5 highy and now turned the world and we're like checky. does 5 high play well on the river at showdown?

R/F river not too large.
  • edited August 2012
    bet turn
    r/f river
  • edited August 2012
    how can you ever r/f river

I don't really like pre but it aint tooo bad. 
    bet flop smaller (think this is something you need to pick up on as ive seen you do it a few times in 3b pots) 
    I like the turn
    I raise river here every time
  • edited August 2012
    I bet the turn 100%
  • edited August 2012
    i give unkowns absolute zero credit at 30nl and below...i imagine he bets this river with AK/AQ and will defo call a raise. 

Can also have KJ IMO, seen regs cold call in these spots with KJ imagine other will.

I raise river, possibly jam.

then again awful
  • edited August 2012
    i know you are asking about the river but imo pre is a bit spewy, cant imagine it being profitable vs UTG villain who is likely going to call. We are bluffing! so we want folds, or be it that villain is passive enough so that post flop play is easy.

Like others have said c-bet smaller, don't mind a check back on the turn purely due to the action thus far, plus we have picked up some equity . . . i mean he has called a 3-bet pre from s/b, and a chunky c-bet . . . so readless i would give him a bit of credit for having a hand at this point.

River: i think we can raise fold ~12. If this guy is solid, tight or whatever raising river is a bit ambitious tbh, and so calling would be better.

• edited August 2012
    how can you ever r/f river I don't really like pre but it aint tooo bad.  bet flop smaller (think this is something you need to pick up on as ive seen you do it a few times in 3b pots)  I like the turn I raise river here every time
    Posted by percival09

to raise fold the river, we click the right button to instigate a raise, then when our opponent re-raises us we do the left button to do a foldy. hence we've raised folded.

if we were to have the nutted hand then raise and fold would be bad. 

If you're raising the river here EVERY time and yet never able to R/F then you are burning money.
  • edited August 2012
    every time in this situation vs this villain i meant, didn't put it cleary. 
    Thanks for your explanation. 
  • edited August 2012
    every time in this situation vs this villain i meant, didn't put it cleary.  Thanks for your explanation. 
    Posted by percival09

k I don't know villain so i'm just talking in general. 
  • edited August 2012
    I think u played the hand fine, you say no reads so we have to presume he has none for you so whats he called the flop bet with and did he check turn hoping you would bet in order to build the pot? TBH he looks like he is trying to trap u so he may have reads :-), u hit back door flush so we must feel you are ahead, IMO a good value bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot on the river I dont like the idea of shove all in!