You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Curiosity didn't kill the cat.

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Curiosity didn't kill the cat...................... It killed my stack. lol

its happened to me a few times just to see what him/her was holding.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Happens to me a lot, often when i'm usually thinking they've got the hand that they turn out to have... Just at times, i can't fold a hand, the sownside to my game really :(
  • edited November 2009
    A thing never to do is to just call to see what the opponant is holding.
    It will cost you all your chips eventually.
    Just think, you don't make that call just to see his cards and next hand you have pocket A's.
    Think of all the extra chips you now have to enable you to get more chips for the pocket A's.
  • edited November 2009
    I like to put them on a hand and still call just to prove i'm right :(
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Curiosity didn't kill the cat.:
    I like to put them on a hand and still call just to prove i'm right :(
    Posted by diablo_pez
    This would be similar to the "creative put".

I particularly like a statement by the great Jesse May (possibly quoted from someone else) about the dangers of the "creative put". i.e. the habit of putting someone that has gone all in on a hand that you can beat. Basically, he said, "I go through all the hands that he might possibly have that I can beat. Then, if I can't think of any of those, I put him on a complete bluff and call anyway"!
  • edited November 2009

I find that if u type in the chat box that ur folding a monster, or state a large hand ur folding, or type what ur opponent may have that it sometimes gets them to show and u have kept ur chips and see.

• edited November 2009
    lol i will not do that phil u pay to see my cards
  • edited November 2009
    lol i will not do that phil u pay to see my cards
    Posted by scrumdown
    You'll be surprised at the number of players who do though
  • edited November 2009
    so what are we saying here exactly? you call if you think they are buffing,you call if you know you are winning,or you fold if you think you have lost.surely no one calls if you know you have lost just to see their cards
  • edited November 2009
    so what are we saying here exactly? you call if you think they are buffing,you call if you know you are winning,or you fold if you think you have lost.surely no one calls if you know you have lost just to see their cards
    Posted by dav1964
    you'd think wouldn't you
  • edited November 2009
    Some people will call even if they "know" they have lost a hand early in a tournament just to gain information about the cards that an opponent is playing. If they are playing an aggressive opponent (sitting on their left, for example) this has the added advantage that everyone else at the table knows what cards that player is playing and hence this may slow the player down for later hands.