You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet sizing?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
advise / comments on both pre and post flop bet sizing please?
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Slykllist Small blind  40.00 40.00 3952.50
DADDYJP Big blind  80.00 120.00 2010.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

MAGICmagic Fold     
petecapr04 Fold     
ellison01 Raise  160.00 280.00 5300.00
Slykllist Raise  400.00 680.00 3552.50
DADDYJP Call  360.00 1040.00 1650.00
ellison01 Fold     
Flop

• K

Slykllist Bet  780.00 1820.00 2772.50
DADDYJP Fold     
Slykllist Muck     
Slykllist Win  1040.00  3812.50
Slykllist Return  780.00 0.00 4592.50

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2012
    pre is ok i think, but the flop bet is wayyy too big, i'd make it around 300
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing?:
    pre is ok i think, but the flop bet is wayyy too big, i'd make it around 300
    Posted by yb
    I thought this after hence the question, what is thinking behind 300?  Personally I think I missed the opportunity to get his chips in here because I was paying too much attention to the possible flush draw and not enough to his stack size?
  • edited August 2012

If you lead 300 here what are you trying to represent?  Weakness, ie. a weak bet looks alot weaker than a check?  Or are you literally just trying to induce the re-shove?

• ybyb
    edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing? : I thought this after hence the question, what is thinking behind 300?  Personally I think I missed the opportunity to get his chips in here because I was paying too much attention to the possible flush draw and not enough to his stack size?
    Posted by Slykllist
    people do stupid things sometimes when you bet small, it sets up stacks for a shove on the turn and it makes your cbets cheaper for the times you miss the flop
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing? : people do stupid things sometimes when you bet small, it sets up stacks for a shove on the turn and it makes your cbets cheaper for the times you miss the flop
    Posted by yb
    So you'd advocate habitually c-betting small?  I generally value bet, c-bet and represent with exactly the same bet sizing, and almost always proceed with a perceived value bet.  Is this someting you would advise against and that I need to work on?
  • edited August 2012
    Suppose I've always worked on the theory that if my action is 'correct' then at least if I get unlucky it's not me that's made the mistake.

For example.... the hand above, if I don't bet 3/4 pot and the turn comes a diamond to make his flush, it's my fault for giving him the right odds to get there?

PS.  I know this particular hand is a bad examlple because of stack sizes
  • ybyb
    edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Bet sizing? : So you'd advocate habitually c-betting small?  I generally value bet, c-bet and represent with exactly the same bet sizing, and almost always proceed with a perceived value bet.  Is this someting you would advise against and that I need to work on?
    Posted by Slykllist
    generally the most important factor when it comes to bet sizing is the stacks to pot ratio, as you are aiming to get stacks in by the river with your value hands when you can. in late stages of a tourny your preflop raise/cbet sizes do not have to be big at all to be able to get stacks in, so you might as well make them smaller imo so you can make your bluffs cheaper, and also play against a wider range (often in position) with your value hands.
  • edited August 2012
    Pre ok although I might make it a little bigger

1/2 pot plenty on flop.