You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Where Did I go Wrong?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I know I went wrong in this hand, feels like I played it way too passive but I don't know which street I should change. I wasn't sure it was a good idea firing again on the turn when I got 2 callers on the flop, didn't think I'd get called by a worse Ax by 2 people twice.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.29
Stilsmokin Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.52
  Your hole cards
  • A

jamboGJ Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.26
alanso Raise   £0.12 £0.22 £5.81
No_Jacks Call   £0.12 £0.34 £2.19
Lambert180 Call   £0.10 £0.44 £4.19
Stilsmokin Fold        
jamboGJ Fold        
Flop

• J
  • A

Lambert180 Bet   £0.32 £0.76 £3.87
alanso Call   £0.32 £1.08 £5.49
No_Jacks Call   £0.32 £1.40 £1.87
Turn

Lambert180 Check        
alanso Bet   £0.28 £1.68 £5.21
No_Jacks Call   £0.28 £1.96 £1.59
Lambert180 Call   £0.28 £2.24 £3.59
River

Lambert180 Check        
alanso Check        
No_Jacks Check        
Lambert180 Show
  • A

alanso Muck
  • J
  • K

No_Jacks Show
  • A

No_Jacks Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s £2.07   £3.66

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I don't really like playing ATo in the SB at NL4. I think at this level it's pretty easy to make your money just by playing in position and playing premium hands so you don't really need to be playing thin spots like this. It's not wrong, I just don't think it's worth bothering with.

I don't like donking on the flop. If neither of our opponents has an Ace, they probably just fold (Although apparently not this time - KJ). When they call, it gives us problems on the turn. I'd just check-call the flop, keep weaker hands in and make our decisions easier in future. We probably have the best hand, but I'm not sure we gain anything by betting. If the pre-flop raiser raises your lead what's the plan?

If they both check back on the flop then bet the turn for value.

As played, I probably bet-fold the turn. After not being raised on the flop I think there's a good chance I do have the best hand so I'm still betting for value. If you get two callers then check the river and see what they do.

As I say, on the few occasions that I do play at NL4, I play almost exclusively in position. This hand is a great example of why.
  • edited August 2012
    fold pre
    I probz c/c flop - I don't mind donking into fish tho because you'll get more value that way
    probz b/f turn
  • edited August 2012
    C/c flop

As played bet turn

• edited August 2012
    you played it the same as I would have done..with 2 more callers you would have expected one of them to have an ace and no_jacks would have gone to the end anyway
  • edited August 2012
    If your going to play this weak A in the SB with the Button just calling I would be tempted to a strong 3 bet pre, standard Squeeze... and if someone comes back over the top dump the hand cheaper than finding out on the river your out kicked/drawn.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Where Did I go Wrong?:
    I know I went wrong in this hand, feels like I played it way too passive but I don't know which street I should change. I wasn't sure it was a good idea firing again on the turn when I got 2 callers on the flop, didn't think I'd get called by a worse Ax by 2 people twice. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Lambert180 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.29 Stilsmokin Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.52   Your hole cards A 10       jamboGJ Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.26 alanso Raise   £0.12 £0.22 £5.81 No_Jacks Call   £0.12 £0.34 £2.19 Lambert180 Call   £0.10 £0.44 £4.19 Stilsmokin Fold         jamboGJ Fold         Flop     3 J A       Lambert180 Bet   £0.32 £0.76 £3.87 alanso Call   £0.32 £1.08 £5.49 No_Jacks Call   £0.32 £1.40 £1.87 Turn     8       Lambert180 Check         alanso Bet   £0.28 £1.68 £5.21 No_Jacks Call   £0.28 £1.96 £1.59 Lambert180 Call   £0.28 £2.24 £3.59 River     6       Lambert180 Check         alanso Check         No_Jacks Check         Lambert180 Show A 10       alanso Muck J K       No_Jacks Show 6 A       No_Jacks Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s £2.07   £3.66
    Posted by Lambert180
    Almost all of them.  

PS.  Sorry if I seem to be giving you a hard time.  Feeling quite lary tonight.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Where Did I go Wrong?:
    In Response to Where Did I go Wrong? : Almost all of them.   PS.  Sorry if I seem to be giving you a hard time.  Feeling quite lary tonight.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I don't mind people giving me a hard time, I'm far from a fantastic cash player, but please actually give advice lol.

If you think I played all streets wrong then how would you have played? If you're in the camp of folding pre-flop then just assume you decide to call pre like I did, where would you go from there?
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Where Did I go Wrong?:
    In Response to Re: Where Did I go Wrong? : I don't mind people giving me a hard time, I'm far from a fantastic cash player, but please actually give advice lol. If you think I played all streets wrong then how would you have played? If you're in the camp of folding pre-flop then just assume you decide to call pre like I did, where would you go from there?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Okie dokie

1. fo1d pre
    2. having ca11ed pre c/c f1op
    3. having bet f1op I think b/f turn is marginally better than anything else.  If I really think about this I can talk myself into something else.
    4. having got to the river the way you p1ayed it, I'm fine with checking the river (hence almost every street).

It's kind of hard for me to say what I would do because I would never get to the place where I need to do something, if you get my drift.

PS.  I didn't really want to give any advice tonight, just wanted to give someone a hard time for no reason while I'm safely sat behind my PC screen.  I really am quite dispicable. 
  • edited August 2012
    I think what I'm getting at is that when we don't know what to do we are more likely to make mistakes.  At NL4 it is unnecessary to play marginal hands oop and get into these spots where we don't know what to do when everyone else at the table is most likely already making fundamental unforced errors for you to exploit. 
  • edited August 2012

Why did you lead the flop ?

• edited August 2012
    i dont mind the lead out on the flop if you're going to triple barrel (although obviously on this occasion you would get 3 outered)

but bet/check/check is a really weak line.  before you bet the flop you need to think about what you're going to do on the turn if you get 2 flat calls.  considering the turn is a complete blank if you're willing to fire at that flop you should be willing to fire that turn imo.

the easiest way to avoid this spot is to fold pre and then wait until you have position