You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good Bluff Spot?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Good chance to bluff here? I figured his weak bet on the turn was an attempt to hit his draw cheap and I was happy to continue cheaply with such a big draw. Then when he makes the same bet on the river, I think it's only gonna be a terribly weak hand he just wants a showdown with
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
grahamnew Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.59
arrbee10 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.30
  Your hole cards
  • Q

boom10 Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £3.71
paul1922 Call   £0.12 £0.30 £8.20
Margot86 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £0.12 £0.42 £4.28
grahamnew Raise   £0.18 £0.60 £2.41
arrbee10 Fold        
boom10 Call   £0.08 £0.68 £3.63
paul1922 Call   £0.08 £0.76 £8.12
Lambert180 Call   £0.08 £0.84 £4.20
Flop

• J

grahamnew Bet   £0.42 £1.26 £1.99
boom10 Call   £0.42 £1.68 £3.21
paul1922 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £0.42 £2.10 £3.78
Turn

grahamnew Bet   £0.04 £2.14 £1.95
boom10 Call   £0.04 £2.18 £3.17
Lambert180 Raise   £0.40 £2.58 £3.38
grahamnew Call   £0.36 £2.94 £1.59
boom10 Fold        
River

grahamnew Bet   £0.04 £2.98 £1.55
Lambert180 Raise   £1.55 £4.53 £1.83
grahamnew Fold        
Lambert180 Muck        
Lambert180 Win   £2.79   £4.62
Lambert180 Return   £1.51 £0.23 £6.13

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I don't like it. You're bluffing at 4nl, it's likely they'll call you down with anything so it's too risky imo. 
    You flat the flop to try and hit, so do the same on the turn. You're getting unbelievable odds and it's better to keep other players in for when you hit imo. 

Plus it's such a small raise. Wtf you repping? 
  • edited August 2012
    Looking back it was a bit too small, but I basically treated the 4p as a check and I wanted to increase the size of the pot with such a big draw, while keeping everyone in the pot. This raises makes it TONS easier to get stacks in on the river when I hit and when I don't I'm not committed and can let go (if he hadn't have made such a weak bet).
  • edited August 2012
    raise/call flop
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot?:
    raise/call flop
    Posted by NColley
    Indeed. The good bluffing spot is on the flop. Here you have a straight-draw, a flush draw and an overcard. It's very likely that all of those are live and at this stage you're probably a favourite in the hand anyway. I know that semi-bluffing at NL4 is usually considered to be bad but if you're the favourite to win then you're not really bluffing at all anymore, you're value betting.

In this spot, even if they have a set you've got many outs. Worst nightmare is going to be the better flush draw, which is unlikely and even then you have many outs. So raise the flop and try to get as much money in there as possible.

As you've played the flop, just call the turn and fold the river... for 4p. :)
  • edited August 2012
    You can raise/call or just shove flop. You can flat too.

Dunno what's going on on the turn, no need to do that just call.

Just call river.
  • edited August 2012
    im shoving this flop 
  • edited August 2012
    I know it's only 4p Doh but how can I call the river with Q-high?

So no-one agrees then that his turn and river bet are clearly the bets of someone with very weak holdings who doesn't want to call a big bet?

If all else fails, at least people will know I don't always have the nuts when I raise the river :p
  • edited August 2012
    Prefer raising flop, calling ok though

Not a big fan of raising turn unless you bluff some missed rivers. If you do raise make it more

I like river, you might be able to call getting~75/1 if you wanted
  • edited August 2012
    Yee you've kinda got to raise the flop and look to get it in.  Dream flop.

As played,   decent play IMO.   maybe just the wrong level.

At nl40 nl50 your just never ever getting called on the river, unless they've backdoored nut flush.

Edit : When i say called  ^^^ they'd obv raise.
  • edited August 2012
    To answer the thread title: No.

I was going to go on a massive rant about how there are no good bluffing spots at NL4, but I'd be lying.  There are.  This definately isn't one though. 
  • edited August 2012
    To answer the thread title: No. I was going to go on a massive rant about how there are no good bluffing spots at NL4, but I'd be lying.  There are.  This definately isn't one though. 
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Yeah I definitely think there are opportunities to bluff at 4NL so I'm glad you took that back lol.

I don't understand why this aint one though. The way he's played it, does it not look SO much like he is drawing and trying to do it cheaply. So by the river when the straight draw and flush draw have both missed (I'm discounting the BD flush), surely I can easily take it away from him when he probably has nothing, especially when he bets so weak.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot? : Yeah I definitely think there are opportunities to bluff at 4NL so I'm glad you took that back lol. I don't understand why this aint one though. The way he's played it, does it not look SO much like he is drawing and trying to do it cheaply. So by the river when the straight draw and flush draw have both missed (I'm discounting the BD flush), surely I can easily take it away from him when he probably has nothing, especially when he bets so weak.
    Posted by Lambert180
    It looks to me like its either a draw or a pair he is willing to call down with.  I don't see the need to get involved.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot? : It looks to me like its either a draw or a pair he is willing to call down with.  I don't see the need to get involved.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I thought Id add that sometimes I go on another site that gave me a free bankro11 and i dont even bother 1ooking for good b1uffing spots, i just try to make everyone fo1d.  Somehow Im in profit.  It makes me fee1 big anyway.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot? : It looks to me like its either a draw or a pair he is willing to call down with.  I don't see the need to get involved.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Because there's a £3 pot just sitting there and he clearly isn't confident in his hand? I'm not turning down virtually a full BI that's just sitting there for the taking. If he does call at least I can put a note either that he min-bets monsters on the river to trap or he min-bets junk on the river and still calls a big raise, or whatever.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot? : Because there's a £3 pot just sitting there and he clearly isn't confident in his hand? I'm not turning down virtually a full BI that's just sitting there for the taking. If he does call at least I can put a note either that he min-bets monsters on the river to trap or he min-bets junk on the river and still calls a big raise, or whatever.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah, but people like to call.

Edit: you dont need to bet that much to get a missed draw to fo1d

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Good Bluff Spot? : Yeah, but people like to call. Edit: you dont need to bet that much to get a missed draw to fo1d
    Posted by Wilhelm
    That probably is true, but as you said people like to call, and I knew a bigger better would put people off doing anything crazy like calling with junk pairs like maybe A4 or A5 of diamonds (which I'm behind to).
  • edited August 2012
    get as much money in on flop as possible
  • edited August 2012
    dont like bluffing at this level
    you should defo be raising the flop the intention of gettin it in here 
  • edited August 2012
    Raising is not going to be that much better than calling