You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do I deal with donk bets?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Please can I have some help. I seem to be having problems dealing with donk bets.  I'm playing NL4 cash, trying to play tight and usually enter a pot with a raise. I raise with a decent hand (3x BB), get called, then face a pot-sized bet on the flop. This seems to happen about once a session and I don't know how to deal with it.
I think about the range and automatically assume they have the best cards to fit the flop.

In this case I'd been playing on the table about 90 minutes, and this was the first hand I'd played in the last 8.
The table was fairly passive (though they would occasional fireworks with 4bet/5bet/shove hands), it seemed fairly typical of the tables at this level.

xxx Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.30
xxx Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.16
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

neb01 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £5.62
xxx Fold     
xxx Fold     
xxx Fold     
xxx Fold     
villain Call  £0.08 £0.26 £3.08
Flop

• J
  • Q
  • Q

villain Bet  £0.26 £0.52 £2.82
neb01 Fold     
villaiin Muck     
villain Win  £0.24  £3.06
villain Return  £0.26 £0.02 £3.32

Thinking about it. I seems strange to make such a big bet if they are ahead, esp if I'm likely to make a c-bet which they can call.

Any general advice would be appreciated, though I realise that it will depend on each particular situtation.

One last question - In this case is the fold too tight? . As I said these bets confuse me and I think the safest course is to fold (even if it's not the best play)

Prev

Comments

• edited August 2012
    what the hell this is a great flop for your hand what u hopeing to hit jjq lol i am calling this bet and call down this is deffo not a fold 
  • edited August 2012
    my advice would be if this happens again dont fold this is a lovely flop for your hand 
  • edited August 2012
    Im with IDCU. This is a pretty nice flop for your hand. Im certainly never folding to that pot sized donk lead. Can he really have a Q here? Im calling down as well assuming the board doesnt get ridiculously wet (like runner runner 10h, 9h)
    Maybe one of the NL4 regs can make a better analysis but to me that donk lead says I might have a lower pair and betting to see if its good. or A high. 
  • edited August 2012

the donk bet can be many things, from a super strong made hand to weak top pair to botom pair to total air so dont always assume its super strong. its worth calling at times to gain more information as to what the flop bet represents.

your fold in this hand is super nitty. you have flopped a decent hand and the pair on the board makes it less likely they are holding a queen. i'd be calling here to see what they do on the turn as on the flop i dont know for sure what hes doing it with. it could be a queen, worse jacks, an underpair, K10 for a draw or total air. if the villain continues with this line of showing strength on the turn then its time to make your decision wether to carry on in the hand.

• edited August 2012
    It depends how often they donk what they show down when they do how often they do it etc. You have much the same options as facing any other bet.

In the hand above I'm calling and prob calling down. Raising and folding would both be pretty bad imo readless
  • edited August 2012
    As said this is a good flop for you, you say you are a tight player so if he had a Q why lead out on the flop? Even if he reads you as T/A surely he would look for a C/R. I.M.O your fold was to tight, limit the pot and call him down if he shows Qs spit!
  • edited August 2012
    I think you have to call one street or fold pre.  Some villains can make this bet on any paired board with nothing but they rarely continue strongly after the turn.   Position ftw!

Edit: in general though, a pot size donk bet at this level is usually something that doesn't want to fold.  I still can't fold this flop.