You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do on this river?

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
1-DAYSmall blind £0.10£0.10£20.00
alexburleyBig blind £0.20£0.30£31.87
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

1royston1Fold    
elbows7Fold    
SHANKS474Fold    
badcawlFold    
1-DAYRaise £0.70£1.00£19.30
alexburleyRaise £2.00£3.00£29.87
1-DAYCall £1.40£4.40£17.90
Flop

• J

1-DAYCheck    
alexburleyBet £2.00£6.40£27.87
1-DAYCall £2.00£8.40£15.90
Turn

1-DAYCheck    
alexburleyBet £3.00£11.40£24.87
1-DAYCall £3.00£14.40£12.90
River

• A

1-DAYCheck
right, what shoud i do on this river? go for a value bet, or check behind? the check calling every street made me suspicious. 
Only read on him is that i've seen him chase gutshots, and doesn't like to fold. He slowplayed a couple of hands too against other players.

Comments

• ybyb
    edited August 2012
    bet flop and turn bigger, check river imo
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do on this river?:
    bet flop and turn bigger, check river imo
    Posted by yb
    +1
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: What to do on this river? : +1
    Posted by grantorino
    +2
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah flop bet should be more like £3.50

Turn bet more like £6.50 which would mean he is practically all-in by river anyway. If he doesn't have much more than £6.50 left by the turn, then just stick him all-in.
  • edited August 2012
    ok thanks guys, much appreciated!
  • edited August 2012
    i wouldnt bet more than 2.60 otf tbh
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Probably unwise to disagree with one of, if not the best cash player on site but I'm always eager to learn so...

What hand calls a £2.60 bet that doesn't call a £3.50 bet?
  • edited August 2012
    Please don't start choosing not to disagree with people.  It makes life boring.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Glad someone finally said this. It feels as though some people are always saying "bet bigger". I'd go with half-pot in alot of hands, and particularly in 3-bet pots.
    In Response to Re: What to do on this river? : Probably unwise to disagree with one of, if not the best cash player on site but I'm always eager to learn so... What hand calls a £2.60 bet that doesn't call a £3.50 bet?
    Posted by Lambert180
    My thoughts are the same as they always are:

1) We don't want to make bigger bets with big hands than we would with bluffs. So if we're going to be making lots of c-bets without the goods, we want those bluffs to be cheap.

2) On a flop with so few hands out there like this, we don't want to make it too expensive for those flush-draws, and top, second or third pairs to come along. Draws are still getting bad odds if we make it half-pot but we know that people call with those hands anyway.

3) In a 3-bet pot, (for most players, especially at this level) we're representing quite a narrow range when we c-bet on this type of flop - premium hands. We don't want to make a huge bet with those hands, show people that we are unlikely to fold and therefore allow them to make easy, correct decisions. A good example would be when we're called pre-flop by lower pairs and they can just easily fold if they miss their set or bust us if they hit. If we have AK and we're going to be making these c-bets when we miss, then we're happier if our standard c-bet is smaller.

EDIT: 4) You don't have to bet the flop as big in 3-bet pots to get stacks in by the river, as the pot's already bigger. I forgot to mention that earlier.
  • edited August 2012
    By the way, I'd definitely bet more on the turn - lolz

Seriously though, half-pot on the flop is fine but if you're betting the turn it should be bigger, as that's what you'd want to do with a really big value hand.
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks Borin. As always I've been proven wrong, but I'm always glad to be proven wrong here as long as I'm given a good explanation as to why I'm wrong (which you did).

Probably because I'm so used to playing 4NL where you can alter your bet sizes to whatever you want, c-bet smaller with bluffs, c-bet bigger with monsters and no-one pays attention anyway. Have to get out of that habit when I move up.
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks Borin. As always I've been proven wrong, but I'm always glad to be proven wrong here as long as I'm given a good explanation as to why I'm wrong (which you did). Probably because I'm so used to playing 4NL where you can alter your bet sizes to whatever you want, c-bet smaller with bluffs, c-bet bigger with monsters and no-one pays attention anyway. Have to get out of that habit when I move up.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Don't think you've been proven wrong by me. Those are only my opinions. I'm just a poker theorist, remember. Maybe Lol_raise or some other poker practitioner will say my reasons are crackers.