You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who is your favourite poker player and why?

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Tom Dwan for me dnt really have to say why just crushes it 

Comments

• edited August 2012
    My favourite has always been Daniel Negreanu. Obviously he's a brilliant player and great at reading people but I just like that he enjoys a bit of banter at the table (as do I).
  • edited August 2012
    a great reader of the game i remember 2007 main event  main tv table hes play was great reading abilty just genious i send u clip paul look at this just great reading ability 
  • edited August 2012
    watch this paul negranu at hes best :)     http://youtu.be/WO8k47_lP0M
  • edited August 2012
    In terms of good for television Negreanu, Hellmuth, Tony G, Schwartz

For pure brilliance and bravery Ivey and Dwan

And for just seeming like a thoroughly decent bloke( and a fine player with some cajones) good old Barney Boatman
  • edited August 2012
    HI ID
    It's difficult really but my favourite players are ones that have a personality so that tv play is interesting to watch. Funny thing is that even some quiet players have an aura about them eg Barry Greenstein as you can 'see' him making his matheatical calcultions to decide on a play. Tony G makes me laugh as i want him to get his come uppence but he's good tv. Helmuth knows what appeals to tv. Doyle just for being Doyle. Negreanau as he brings the whole table in. Dwan and Ivey becaue of their mind-blowing brilliance. Phil Green as i've read and enjoyed his books.
    It comes down to players who bring the psychology of the game to the surface....the i know what they think i think they are thinking....the meta game. That's what makes poker a game of the mind and not a robotic pastime.
  • edited August 2012
    My favourite has always been Daniel Negreanu. Obviously he's a brilliant player and great at reading people but I just like that he enjoys a bit of banter at the table (as do I). 

got lots of respect for him as a player but not so much as a person. Great publicist happy to criticise and mock easy targets but less keen to tackle the issue of one of his best friends owing the poker community a total of a 6 figure sum. (Not disputed by player involved)

• edited August 2012

CASH: Phil Ivery
    MTT's: Hellmuth
    Biggest Fish:  Tony G, Devilfish

• edited August 2012
    Tom Dwan - Built his entire roll from a $50 deposit grinding $6 sngs on Paradise poker.  His SnG diary would have been a good read ;)
  • edited August 2012
    atm Phill Galfond,David Oppenheim but I'll always like Hellmuth and Chan.
  • edited August 2012
    dwan/galfond/Joseph Cheong/mercier
  • edited August 2012
    I like hellmuth/luke schawrtz/esfandiari/tony G so many but they are at top of my list
  • edited August 2012
    negr / hellmouth / luke s / tony g -  anyone thats entertaining -
  • edited August 2012
    cant stand hellmuth i really cant how hes won so many bracelets is beyond me whenever i see him online or tv he gets owned by the whizz kids these days i put hellmuth in same bracked as devilfish oldskool and not willing to learn new stuff n put the effort in hes more of a celeb then a poker player these days imo   musta done summit right to win so many bracelets but this was when the game was soft he couldnt do it now 
  • edited August 2012
    Phill Lark He has a self deprecating style but you can see he thoroughly enjoys the game and Jennifer Tilly for a couple of reasons!
  • edited August 2012
    haha good viewing when jenifer tily is on :) i always sky plus it if shes playing lmao
  • edited August 2012
    Tony G is gash..

Mine is Scott Seiver, sick game and is funny.. and he's fat which always makes me like ppl more not sure why
  • edited August 2012
    im fat and funny oh wait just need to be better at poker :)
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Who is your favourite poker player and why?:
    cant stand hellmuth i really cant how hes won so many bracelets is beyond me whenever i see him online or tv he gets owned by the whizz kids these days i put hellmuth in same bracked as devilfish oldskool and not willing to learn new stuff n put the effort in hes more of a celeb then a poker player these days imo   musta done summit right to win so many bracelets but this was when the game was soft he couldnt do it now 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

The Brat's been doing really well the last couple of years though there aren't many safer stakes out there for mtt's.

''he called a raise with J10 honey...he was sposed to bust me anyway''
  • edited August 2012
    sam trickett for me - like the way he thinks things out
  • edited August 2012
    Tom Dwan love watching his stone cold bluffs.  Love watching Hellmuth when hes on tilt for a laugh.
  • edited August 2012
    John Tabatabai. Exciting to watch and always replies to you In the chat box. GSOH also.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I'm a Hellmuth Hater with the best of 'em, but he is MILES better than Devilfish.
  • edited August 2012
    Tony G is a god among men.. Mine is Scott Seiver, sick game and is funny.. and he's fat which always makes me like ppl more not sure why
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    FYP.
  • edited August 2012
    Love it when people put Hellmouth down, no perspective :s
    All you see is this persona, which is purely for marketing - pokertainment at it's best
    Who wants to watch people siting around a poker table just being boring.

Can't ignore his last WSOP results can you

Loving Hellmouth 4 life

But he has breed his own bad beats, evevryone wants to bust him lol
    So it's no wonder they call with rubbish and he rants )
    If he wasn't such a massive face/ego/persona then I am sure he would actually do a lot better at poker

even though he is never a cash game player )
  • edited August 2012
    in any cash game against ivey dwan antonius negranu and galfond or mercier hellmuth would get smashed apart and that counts for sit n go im not having it i watch alot of poker online last few years hes been terrible tbf i havent seen much of hes wsop sucess back in the day there was stu unger who brought the game on a whole new level which people do the moves now which he made years ago woulda been intrested if he was still alive now what what moves he be doing now 

i dnt hate hellmuth as a person because he makes good tv but as a player i dnt rate him think any 1 from sky poker could give him a good game tbh 
  • edited August 2012
    Love it when people put Hellmouth down, no perspective :s All you see is this persona, which is purely for marketing - pokertainment at it's best Who wants to watch people siting around a poker table just being boring. Can't ignore his last WSOP results can you Loving Hellmouth 4 life But he has breed his own bad beats, evevryone wants to bust him lol So it's no wonder they call with rubbish and he rants ) If he wasn't such a massive face/ego/persona then I am sure he would actually do a lot better at poker even though he is never a cash game player )
    Posted by rancid
    Ok, I'll bite.

I respect Hellmuth's record, I just don't like his face or what comes out of it.

Now if only he won with the grace and humility of Tony G...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtE5Hx740Pc 
  • edited August 2012
    Love it when people put Hellmouth down, no perspective :s All you see is this persona, which is purely for marketing - pokertainment at it's best Who wants to watch people siting around a poker table just being boring. Can't ignore his last WSOP results can you Loving Hellmouth 4 life But he has breed his own bad beats, evevryone wants to bust him lol So it's no wonder they call with rubbish and he rants ) If he wasn't such a massive face/ego/persona then I am sure he would actually do a lot better at poker even though he is never a cash game player )
    Posted by rancid
    Oh, and this.

I'm proud to share @ least one attribute with the 'greatest player in the world'. ;-)
  • edited August 2012
    in any cash game against ivey dwan antonius negranu and galfond or mercier hellmuth would get smashed apart 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Can i ask why Negreanu is in that field of players?! For cash games i think Negreanu is a HUUUUGE dog in that field. I don't rate him on anywhere near the top 1000 cash players in the world. 
  • edited August 2012
    reading ability and abilty let go of a good hand