You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Guess the hand from last night's Roller........

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Thoroughly enjoyed my foray last night for first time. Great set up ith scope for post flop play. Certainly gave me food for thought and i'll learn a lot from 20/63 with loads of hands to analyse. Aggro play reigns supreme here.
Anyway here is a hand that crippled me. Do you feel i played it wrong either initial limp or bet-sizing. Could you put the villain on a hand/range of hands here.

My thoughts....lots of reraises so limp i thought would be raised then i could rer. Didn't happen
Flop may have caught one or both. 77, KJ, KX, two spades poss but not JJ or KK as would have raised pre.
Get donk bet but not unduly worried as allows me to raise(triple). Surprised he calls but,,,a little worried now.
Turn is a blank. Small bet to either AI to rer or commit/ fold on R. I'm perplexed now and becoming wary.
So Spade on R and villain bets<1/3 of pot. I'm worried now but can't fold imo. Could i? Call and i lose.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
TBH there was so much 4 betting with players carrying on down the streets then showing K4o that i felt i could still be good.
PS last time i tried a guess the hand, i left the hand in it....done it correctly here. I'll put the answer either friday evening or sat morning promise.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancesara36dd08Small blind 150.00150.008857.50&&&
Big blind 300.00450.008450.00 Your hole cardsAA   profman15Call 300.00750.007421.25subsnwFold    8NOOFold    sara36dd08Call 150.00900.008707.50&&&
Check    Flop  K7J   sara36dd08Check    &&&
Bet 460.001360.007990.00profman15Raise 1200.002560.006221.25sara36dd08Fold    &&&
Call 740.003300.007250.00Turn  4   &&&
Check    profman15Bet 1650.004950.004571.25&&&
Call 1650.006600.005600.00River  8   &&&
Bet 2025.008625.003575.00profman15Call 2025.0010650.002546.25      profman15MuckAA   &&&
Win 10650.00 14225.00

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Just don't limp! :(

After the limp it's played ok imo. 
  • edited August 2012
    +1 never everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr limp 
  • edited August 2012
    Ahem, so.. you got caught slow playing aces eh.

It`s 100 lines for you my lad, " I must never limp with a monster "

You`re banned from the tuck shop for a week,

4/10, very poor. See me.
  • edited August 2012
  • edited August 2012
    Don't limp profman, certainly not with AA, if there has been lots of raises, then it just means their 3bet will be bigger and it'll be easier for your 4bet to be a shove (which is what we all love with AA).

Raising the flop is good, plenty of hands to get value from, turn is good. When he bets river I think, 'urgh I've been done here' but I still call lol.

You've got a blocker for the nut flush so I'd go with 77.
  • edited August 2012

I dont often venture in here where all the 'experts' live but I will go for....

K spades K diamonds.  It is what is called in the trade as a 'reverse trap non barrel gotta call bet'  (I think). :)

I am glad you enjoyed the Roller last night Steve, and there is no reason why you can not go for it again! Have a look at some of the cheaper sats to see if you can get in again.
  • edited August 2012
    He's hit the FD - KQ s?  (Maybe even 910s for str flush!)
  • edited August 2012
    j  7  for me 
  • edited August 2012
    Well guys,

Answer time but may i have right of reply too .
    Firstly, yes never limp with AA but in this case i felt justified as the table was extremely aggressive. Earlier i flopped AA in mp. utg limped, i limped and with two very aggressve players to my left i knew one would raise up to steal. The raise came, 4BB, cld by original limper and i could squeeze with triple reraise. Called by one and led to AI to double up.
    So with AA utg i felt a limp would be raised up but it wasn't. If i hadn't have been 90% certain of a raise then i would have certainly. Yes an error normally but in this case it didn't lead to my demise to let the villain see the flop as the cards he had were......................................................

Da da da daaa, cue music,...

TEN OF CLUBS, NINE OF HEARTS

Sorry guys..no winners...mind Sky's run out of prizes to give as Lambert's got 'em all...lol.
    So may i ask you whether this is ok from villains perspective ok?

Yes i'll take a flop.  Oh its a double gutshot. 8 outs approx 32% equity. i'll donk to push him off/suggest. Oh , he's reraised me. I'll call?! Turn blank. i need to rep? i bet yes smaller (bigger or ai he folds yes? Mind no one said that above). River...OMG i'll bet out and get chips.

Can i ask if he had the pot odds to play like this? Implied or not? Is this play typical of this type of £110 entry as i'm not sure if i'll ever know where i stand if it is! Would you have played this hand like this as it's blown my socks off. I need to improve my play as calling the reraise with 8 outs and ss getting lower i would have folded TBH. The villain is no doubt a better player than myself I just want to get the mentality of his play

PS Dave LUFC I wasn't intending to slowplay aces. i hope you understand my reasons. By the way i an an ex maths teacher so i'm doing the lines!! LOL. It's a pity you didn't bother to guess the hand and/or critique my play so that i can learn. Isn't that the aim of a poker clinic? GL at the tables and the Championship league this season.....
  • edited August 2012
    Well I don't know who the villian was but unless it was someone very well known to be a very good player, I wouldn't be too quick to assume they're a better player than you. I don't like the limp pre, and it probably did muddy the waters of the whole hand, but I'd say the villian didn't play it great either!

No he doesn't have the odds and if he hits anything other than an 8 or a Q on the river then he's just donked off nearly 50% of his stack, more if he tries to bluff the river. You were the favourite in this hand, don't forget it
  • edited August 2012
    Actually, wasn't MattBates to your left in the roller... in that case you probably can assume he's better than you lol but still the same above applies.
  • edited August 2012
    Villains play is weird, but you prob only limp monsters, still either way it looks bad to me

Raise pre

I'd flat flop v player I think is good, raise fine v fish

If I was playing well I might find a fold on river, cos call/call/ donk is nearly always huge ime. But I call it usually in game
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Guess the hand from last night's Roller........:
    Well I don't know who the villian was but unless it was someone very well known to be a very good player, I wouldn't be too quick to assume they're a better player than you. I don't like the limp pre, and it probably did muddy the waters of the whole hand, but I'd say the villian didn't play it great either! No he doesn't have the odds and if he hits anything other than an 8 or a Q on the river then he's just donked off nearly 50% of his stack, more if he tries to bluff the river. You were the favourite in this hand, don't forget it
    Posted by Lambert180

Cheers Lambert
    I knew i could rely on you to answer analytically..appreciated.
    Cheers grantorino too. Do you think he would have carried on if i'd min raised pre?I do...
  • edited September 2012
    raise pre, what else do u limp UTG :s

maybe call or raise flop lead
    oppo call is fine

oppo should fold turn imo -

u could find a fold on river as it's a very strong bet

• edited September 2012
    Damn i was going to say 9- 10 before i saw your answer but read this post to late.
    I dont think limping with AA is always wrong , sometimes its good to mix it up but you have to be prepared to be beaten a lot more with it if you do.
    Simple as that really.
    The guy had a double belly buster yes but also if another spade came down on the river (apart from Q or 8 spades) i think they could have bet a much larger amount representing the flush giving you a really tough decision to call.
  • edited September 2012
    Ta Rancid and jonjo for the advice. Yes, i don't think i'll ever limp AA again even though i thought i had good reason to at the time considering the table dynamic. I still think he would call.
    I didn't want to catch the 'fall in love with Aces ' syndrome and the call came a i'd seen some strong bluffs played at the table in showdowns. This was my debut at this level. MattBates was on my lhs and had been so aggro early doors until a cooler as well as two eventual final 'tableists'.
    TBH i was unsure what to expect in a deepstack T with a big Bi. there were definite differences in play. I've only been playing 14 months now, love the game, but recognise that different strategies are needed both in different tournament and stages of T's. I see this as a learning process...i've got a stack of hand analysis to do and with yur help i'll get better...cheers

LONG LIVE THE POKER CLINC!!!!!
  • edited September 2012
    U would expect better play

Oh well