You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My AA comes third!! Just unlucky or bad play?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Iwas playing an NL4 game.
On the button with AA. I raise 5bb. Opponent1 shoves al in. Opponent 2 calls. I shove all in and opponent2 calls again. All 3 players all in pre flop and I'm sitting pretty.
Flop comes 948
Turn J
River Q
I lose to a set of jacks AND 2 pair. Unbelievable but I guess thats poker. Dont think I did anything wrong and would do same again. Unless anyone thinks differently?

Hand History #558905640 (13:22 01/09/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancejack1939Small blind £0.02£0.02£0.86LB438Big blind £0.04£0.06£0.92 Your hole cardsAA   usoges24Call £0.04£0.10£2.87Bricktop01Fold    KellyCallCall £0.04£0.14£6.72Chiddy2114Raise £0.20£0.34£4.11jack1939Fold    LB438All-in £0.92£1.26£0.00usoges24Fold    KellyCallCall £0.92£2.18£5.80Chiddy2114All-in £4.11£6.29£0.00KellyCallAll-in £5.80£12.09£0.00KellyCallUnmatched bet £2.45£9.64£2.45LB438ShowJJ   KellyCallShowQ9   Chiddy2114ShowAA   Flop  948   Turn  J   River  Q   LB438WinThree Jacks£2.72 £2.72KellyCallWinTwo Pairs, Queens and 9s£6.19 £8.64

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Absolutely dream situation, take notes on what each player was willing to get it all in with pre-flop and use it. Just unlucky you lost, you're never in rgeat shape with AA 4way, but you should make the call 100% everytime.
  • edited September 2012
    its unlucky. i'd be wanting to play lots of pots with the q9 villain whos prepared to stick nearly £6 in pre with a junk hand. the jacks call is standard since they have less than 25bb. im always in this pot but you got to remember against 2 oponents your % to win drops to nearer the 50-60% mark as opposed to nearer 80% when only against 1 opponent.

i would have ben ok with losing to the jacks as the side pot was bigger than the main, so it was really unfortunate you couldnt get that.
  • edited September 2012
    I like flatting the 3b pre, 4betting fine too

The more people you can get it in against pre the more profitable it will be, even though you will win less often
  • edited September 2012
    You're asking whether getting the best hand possible preflop all in is a good play or not? Think about it. 
  • edited September 2012
    I like the re-raise to isolate, but the Q9 player is uber spewy and you should 100% be prepared to get every penny in every time against any opponents with AA. As long as the chance of you winning is 51% or more, always make the call.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: My AA comes third!! Just unlucky or bad play?:
    I like the re-raise to isolate, but the Q9 player is uber spewy and you should 100% be prepared to get every penny in every time against any opponents with AA. As long as the chance of you winning is 51% or more, always make the call.
    Posted by died
    It doesn't really make a difference what the odds are of you winning when you hold AA pre. Sometimes you will get it in multi-way and you'll end up not being 51%+ to win, but it's still +EV when you take into account how many stacks you're playing for.

AA aipf against 1 opponent = about 88%
    2 players = 76%
    3 players = 68%
    6 players = 44%

But all of this is outweighed by the fact you are risking 100BB to win 200,300,400BB etc, so it is always +EV to get AA in pre in cash, ALWAYS
  • edited September 2012
    ^ Yeah i'm NEVER folding AA to any shove for any BB amount ever pre.
  • edited September 2012
    So why did you say as long as the chance of you winning is 51% or more, always call.
  • edited September 2012
    fold pre. you only have 1 pairs
  • edited September 2012
    So why did you say as long as the chance of you winning is 51% or more, always call.
    Posted by Lambert180
    You know for a 4NL player you really do like calling people out on every detail of what they post don't you?

You've been challenging me needlessly in a few threads now for absolutely no reason, but it appears i'll have to teach you to read between the lines and state the absolute obvious so you don't become confused.

OP is clearly a beginner. A general guideline is if the chance of you winning is 51% or more you should be prepared to stack off.

You obviously completely disregarded the bit right above that statement in my other post where i said 'should 100% be prepared to get every penny in every time against any opponents with AA'. You conveniently forgot that bit. 

I'd think as you're a poker player you'd be used to noticing large details such as full sentences.
  • edited September 2012
    fold pre. you only have 1 pairs
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Fold pre, very funny!
  • edited September 2012
    Apologies if you feel that way. I'm not doing it needlessly, I often question alot of things in the clinic, generally only to be proven wrong by better players, but that's part of becoming a better player IMO.

I didn't disregard your comment but the two comments are not mutually exclusive and can be contradictory, as I mentioned, not just with AA, but there are times when you may only be going in as a 40% favourite, but if you stand to win 3 times more than what you put into the pot, it is correct to do so (in cash).

By the way, the stakes I play are irrelevant, I'm playing 4NL at the moment, to stick to good BRM, and build a roll but I have played higher in the past. There are people in the clinic who paly 20NL that give better advice (IMO) than some people who play 50NL so don't think it's really that relevant.

Again, sorry if you feel I'm picking on you, I'm not, I just question everything, which I think is a good trait in a poker player.

EDIT: I also got proved wrong recently by a good player on the site saying something similar about the 51% thing when I said surely you'd be happy to get it in with QQ v AK all day long because in the long-term you'll win, and they pointed out that it is still -EV if you KNOW it's definitely QQ v AK because you will both lose long-term due to rake.
  • edited September 2012
    Apologies if you feel that way. I'm not doing it needlessly, I often question alot of things in the clinic, generally only to be proven wrong by better players, but that's part of becoming a better player IMO. I didn't disregard your comment but the two comments are not mutually exclusive and can be contradictory, as I mentioned, not just with AA, but there are times when you may only be going in as a 40% favourite, but if you stand to win 3 times more than what you put into the pot, it is correct to do so (in cash). By the way, the stakes I play are irrelevant, I'm playing 4NL at the moment, to stick to good BRM, and build a roll but I have played higher in the past. There are people in the clinic who paly 20NL that give better advice (IMO) than some people who play 50NL so don't think it's really that relevant. Again, sorry if you feel I'm picking on you, I'm not, I just question everything, which I think is a good trait in a poker player. EDIT: I also got proved wrong recently by a good player on the site saying something similar about the 51% thing when I said surely you'd be happy to get it in with QQ v AK all day long because in the long-term you'll win, and they pointed out that it is still -EV if you KNOW it's definitely QQ v AK because you will both lose long-term due to rake.
    Posted by Lambert180
    TBF, I don't think it's in lamberts nature to disregard other peoples comments and certainly not to pick on others. I have only ever seen him give his honest opinion on hands, he may have different views to others at times but don't we all??? Thats the beauty of poker imo, be a pretty boring game if everybody played the same!
  • edited September 2012
    Yes calling allin here everytime even if there is 5 allins before us.
  • edited September 2012
    I would call with 6 all ins f u
  • edited September 2012
    I'd call if it was a 10 seater and we have 10 all-ins
  • edited September 2012
    U won mr lambert. 

• edited September 2012
    Died is super awesome do u agree?

Press y for yes

Press n for no
  • edited September 2012
    I pressed y also.