You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

seedings

edited September 2012 in The Football Corner
how do they work out the seedings in the champions league? why are m city seeded above teams like b dortmund (twice bunda wnrs) juve (italy champs) ajax etc all of won this comp, city got to the group stages yet are seeded in pot two. any ideas guys?.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    In Response to seedings:
    how do they work out the seedings in the champions league? why are m city seeded above teams like b dortmund (twice bunda wnrs) juve (italy champs) ajax etc all of won this comp, city got to the group stages yet are seeded in pot two. any ideas guys?.
    Posted by windamon
    The seedings are work out on national leagues performances in europe so chelsea winning last year means the english teams get better seedings.
    Being cynical its done to protect the big clubs and the tv revenue. The english and spanish teams have the bigest following in the non national markets (china,india,japan and the usa) so its essential that one or preferably both finalists come from these countries. So the seedings are there to stop non profitable teams costing uefa and the g12 clubs money.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: seedings:
    In Response to seedings : The seedings are work out on national leagues performances in europe so chelsea winning last year means the english teams get better seedings. Being cynical its done to protect the big clubs and the tv revenue. The english and spanish teams have the bigest following in the non national markets (china,india,japan and the usa) so its essential that one or preferably both finalists come from these countries. So the seedings are there to stop non profitable teams costing uefa and the g12 clubs money.
    Posted by BADBOY985

Doesn't previous european preformances factor into seedings as well? I thought clubs got co-efficant points the further into the competition they went. (I maybe wrong though)
  • edited September 2012
    national seedings which badboy refers to refer to how many clubs get in. Spain and England both have the max i believe. 

Club co-efficents which bolesAA refers to are what is wanted here. Its based on how well each side has done in the last 5 years in Europe. Number 1 seeds thend to be the long stayers in the CL, number 2 seeds usually decent CL teams. 3rd pot usually the team that drops the the Europa league. 4th pot the rest. 

Its designed to stop big on big clashes early and save the best till last. 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: seedings:
    national seedings which badboy refers to refer to how many clubs get in. Spain and England both have the max i believe.  Club co-efficents which bolesAA refers to are what is wanted here. Its based on how well each side has done in the last 5 years in Europe. Number 1 seeds thend to be the long stayers in the CL, number 2 seeds usually decent CL teams. 3rd pot usually the team that drops the the Europa league. 4th pot the rest.  Its designed to stop big on big clashes early and save the best till last. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Sorry mate but its done to protect the status quo when it was a real champions cup all the teams went i a hat and you played who you got who you drew and every team had the same chance.
    you also didnt mention the "Market Pool" which dertermines who gets what money based on the telvision revenue from the teams country, which is specificaly done to keep the G12 clubs happy because uefa know if they ever break away, uefa as a organisation is Fooooooooooooked!