You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good spot for a raise after a weak lead on turn?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
rancidSit out    jonah54Small blind £0.02£0.02£2.67IDONKCALLUBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.02 Your hole cards77   Bigcat588Fold    Lambert180Fold    Jangles594Fold    jonah54Raise £0.06£0.12£2.61IDONKCALLUCall £0.04£0.16£3.98Flop  82K   jonah54Bet £0.12£0.28£2.49IDONKCALLUCall £0.12£0.40£3.86Turn  Q   jonah54Bet £0.04£0.44£2.45

Comments

• edited September 2012
    what are you calling flop for
  • edited September 2012
    coz its a dry flop so floating he could have anything 
  • edited September 2012
    Don't float at 4NL. You play 77 for a set, or very occasional all undercards and safe-ish, like 236r.

Fold the flop, fold the turn, so many raggy Ks, Qs, and even 8s that are beating you, and you gotta remember that just cos he has 3rd pr (if he does), that doesn't mean he'll fold to a raise.

Just fold.
  • edited September 2012
    thats y i hate 4 nl lol coz i never fold flop on higher stakes game 
  • edited September 2012
    youd be surprised - a lot of higher stakes players would fold a pair when there are 2 overs and facing a cbet. Obv not on tv games but sick online grinders, perhaps not on this dry a board but on a lot. 

I do fold the flop tho, maybe because I'm a nit. It aint bad I don't think tho. Why do you want to bluff the turn? If you bluff the turn why did you float the flop? I don't mind just flatting tbh. But again, this is the problem when flatting the flop readless
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Good spot for a raise after a weak lead on turn?:
    thats y i hate 4 nl lol coz i never fold flop on higher stakes game 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    then you'll just get constantly exploited...

explanation edit-

you'll want to float some of the time, but not ALL of the time.
  • edited September 2012
    i arsised to 20 p and he folded but thats irrelevant he betes bigger on the flop then the turn my thinking is y bet sooooooo small on the turn must be weak so i raised but at 4nl this is bad raising beacuse u just get alot of calling stations who dnt understand the game and dnt understand that my raise = strength they just think oh well i got a pair must be good lol  so i raised and he folded on  higher stakes this would work alot but on 4nl i was lucky to get it thru this time has i have just explained 
  • edited September 2012
    i raised to 20 p and he folded but thats irrelevant he betes bigger on the flop then the turn my thinking is y bet sooooooo small on the turn must be weak so i raised but at 4nl this is bad raising beacuse u just get alot of calling stations who dnt understand the game and dnt understand that my raise = strength they just think oh well i got a pair must be good lol  so i raised and he folded on  higher stakes this would work alot but on 4nl i was lucky to get it thru this time has i have just explained 
  • edited September 2012
    You were bluffing with the best hand tho. more value in flatting
  • edited September 2012
    Yes i fold the flop here
  • edited September 2012
    i understand that percival but if i call the turn  what if i face a big bet on the river id sigh fold this way im taking the initative in the hand 
  • edited September 2012
    raise raise raise
    noway in this hand can you ever know where you are as you havnt played it correct
    whats the plan with 77 your not traping as they too weak all your going to find yourself doing is calling down with the worse hand or getting no value
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Good spot for a raise after a weak lead on turn?:
    rancid Sit out         jonah54 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.67 IDONKCALLU Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.02   Your hole cards 7 7       Bigcat588 Fold         Lambert180 Fold         Jangles594 Fold         jonah54 Raise   £0.06 £0.12 £2.61 IDONKCALLU Call   £0.04 £0.16 £3.98 Flop     8 2 K       jonah54 Bet   £0.12 £0.28 £2.49 IDONKCALLU Call   £0.12 £0.40 £3.86 Turn     Q       jonah54 Bet   £0.04 £0.44 £2.45
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    should have folded to any bet after the flop, as you missed the 7 and two overs on flop any bet is likely to be at least an 8 so your in trouble, if he bluffs here and gets you to fold good luck to him but never betting here not to any lead
  • edited September 2012
    why is any bet likely to be at least an 8?

hero is gonna be ahead here quite a bit but it's more to do with the fact he's readless and therefore wont know what to do when villain double barrels. Folding the best hand is sometimes the best play. 
  • edited September 2012
    call flop
    call turn
    see what oppo does on river

weak turn is ok to turn your hand into a bluff and raise - depends how likely oppo will fold a weak K or even a 8 or similar
    don't think it's bad to raise any min bet at NL4, they make this min bet because they either weak or strong but it's the middle strenght hand that stations do not let go if when you raise them
    reads do make this easier though
  • edited September 2012
    i cant even read books so how can i read players lolz
  • edited September 2012
    Call on flop is fine IMO.

Bluffing at nl4.   Not so cool.
  • edited September 2012
    Just out of interest, for those who have commented on this, how would you of played the hand on the flop and turn had this been £2/£4 instead of 2p/4p any different?
  • edited September 2012
    Completely dependant on the villain. Villain is probs cbetting this flop 95% of the time. I'm not a high stakes player but I'm not sure how profitable it is flatting the flop readless, it's probably ok
  • edited September 2012
    thanks for your replies i posted this because u get this alot where theres say 40p in pot and they bet a 10th of the pot i was wondering aswell on higher stakes do u play this the same way or different because on 4nl u tend to get more people that call then higher stakes game people give u credit for a raise i know this is a samll 4nl game but intresting replies so thanks for your input