You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice for NL20

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,

I usually only pay NL4-10. I think I'm very successful at NL4 and make a consistent but more modest profit at NL8.

After a good start at NL10 I had an horrific run. I dropped back down to NL4/8 to give me a break and since returning to NL10 I seem to be doing fine. Although I am still 'down' overall at NL10, since returning to the level I have been making a profit.

I am now hoping to be able to 'dip my toes' into NL20 soon (and start to play some 'proper' poker!) and was looking for some general advice.

I know at the lower levels I can sometimes be guilty of not paying full attention to the tables (e.g. watching TV) and playing somewhat on auto-pilot. I get away with it at these levels, but I presume I would have to be more focused at NL20.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    nl20 is still a micro level and you'll still be faced with many fish. You can probably be profitable just playing the most standard abc poker
  • edited September 2012
    Play good poker

It's not going to be a massive jump. Solid abc poker plus the odd move v weaktight regs should do the trick
  • edited September 2012
    At this level play tight people will call you down with anything but when you have a hand make sure you valuebet huge including valuebetting with middle pair
  • edited September 2012
    my advice is to play an extra table at nl10 as you will find when you go to nl 20 you prob get your fingers burnt like nl 10 with a big badbeat or a bad run. if your winning at nl10 open up another table that way your using the same amount of money so can have the same potential win but your playing a level your comfortable at and already beating and by playing extra tables you will find irons out luck

p.s. why you wanting to move up too fast if your still down at a level your not ready to move up. be patient
  • edited September 2012
    Still preantly of players willing to call of with marginal hands at nl20 but throw in some players who now think they can bluff makes this the most profitable level i have played so far. Although admittidley i have only made it to nl30 so far...
    If your game is good enough to beat nl10 i think you will be fine at nl20 not much change tbh.

When you get comfrtable you can expand your 3bet range slightly. Take more aggro lines against regs as yo will ahev to play against them to. Good luck
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Advice for NL20:
    Still preantly of players willing to call of with marginal hands at nl20 but throw in some players who now think they can bluff makes this the most profitable level i have played so far. Although admittidley i have only made it to nl30 so far... If your game is good enough to beat nl10 i think you will be fine at nl20 not much change tbh. When you get comfrtable you can expand your 3bet range slightly. Take more aggro lines against regs as yo will ahev to play against them to. Good luck
    Posted by jams88
    Agree with all this, and I'd even sugegst railing jams88 as he seems to have the 'perfect' style in my opinion for nl20. There are others you could learn from also so I would encourage you to watch some tables first as well and see if you can pick anything up.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Advice for NL20:
    Hi, I usually only pay NL4-10. I think I'm very successful at NL4 and make a consistent but more modest profit at NL8. After a good start at NL10 I had an horrific run. I dropped back down to NL4/8 to give me a break and since returning to NL10 I seem to be doing fine. Although I am still 'down' overall at NL10, since returning to the level I have been making a profit. I am now hoping to be able to 'dip my toes' into NL20 soon (and start to play some 'proper' poker!) and was looking for some general advice. I know at the lower levels I can sometimes be guilty of not paying full attention to the tables (e.g. watching TV) and playing somewhat on auto-pilot. I get away with it at these levels, but I presume I would have to be more focused at NL20. Thanks.
    Posted by Pysterman
    As your probably aware there are some terrible plays and donk callers at the small levels giving you more chance to get out drawn and sucked out on, personally i hate playing these levels as i always seem to have bad beats, my advice is move up to 25/25 or 25/50 if you can as the players play "proper poker" here and not too many fishermen to get unlucky to
  • edited September 2012
    whatever level you play, do you want to beat the regs or fish ?

If your only after the fish then play tight ABC solid and you will be fine

If you want to beat the regs then good luck )

imo stay away from regs as much as possible and outplay the fish who are always at whatever level all to eager to donk off with TPGK

gl
  • edited September 2012
    you can still exploit bad regs massively tho
  • edited September 2012
    you can still exploit bad regs massively tho
    Posted by percival09
    true but I don't think op wants to start messing with regs straight away )

As long as their is one person at the table you can win money from then thats' all you need to worry about.
    Quote takens from someone, think Neil Channing FTW !
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Advice for NL20 : As your probably aware there are some terrible plays and donk callers at the small levels giving you more chance to get out drawn and sucked out on, personally i hate playing these levels as i always seem to have bad beats, my advice is move up to 25/25 or 25/50 if you can as the players play "proper poker" here and not too many fishermen to get unlucky to
    Posted by Herbie536

Worst advice ive seen imo

The orig poster has already said that he is moving up to 20nl so jumping straight into 50nl would be far too big a step for him and also he NEEDS to be playing the type of players you say he should be avoiding and NOT playing the type of players you say he should be sitting with.

TBH i dont know if your advice is a wind up so if it is you got me :)
  • edited September 2012
    no such thing as proper poker
  • edited September 2012
    sit at my tabes and cant win a hand and will donate you some money!
  • edited September 2012
    essentially the standard wont change much.

just make sure you dont change your game too much. when moving up a level it can be far to easy to start thinking that everyone is better and that they will all be trying to put moves on you or all be taking lines you've not seen before.

not a lot changes.  regs dont bluff any more often.  fish still play like fish.

easy game :)
  • edited September 2012
    At the risk of sounding stupid what is NL? :-0
  • edited September 2012
    At the risk of sounding stupid what is NL? :-0
    Posted by conlonl07
    lol...don't worry about looking stupid.  NL means no limit - e.g. no limit hold em.

if it's 20NL it means the max buy in is usually £20 which will mean that the blinds are  usually 10p/20p

if you're new to the forums you really should go onto general poker chat and introduce yourself on the thread there for new players.
  • edited September 2012
    is there such thing as bad regs if so y are they regs then lol 
  • edited September 2012
    bad regs can still feed on the fish and make profit.  the only time a bad reg is in real trouble is when they are on a table full of better regs.
  • edited September 2012
    so many bad regs.
  • edited September 2012
    is there such thing as bad regs if so y are they regs then lol 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Reg stands of regular player, not winnar.