You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is it worth a river steal attempt?

Would appreciate help here.

Playing cash and against someone who I tag as a weak player. He is betting fairly small, in most pots, and not really wanting to tangle with anyone.  Im calling the flop any day with my hand but he dwelled before betting the turn which made me think he didnt like the K from the flop.  He then bets half on river to the amount he bet on turn. What would u do and why?
BA14 Small blind  £0.20 £0.20 £39.82
phil12uk Big blind  £0.40 £0.60 £43.81
  Your hole cards

jerbroni Fold     
jacksson16 Call  £0.40 £1.00 £44.39
vill Raise  £1.60 £2.60 £39.02
BA14 Fold     
phil12uk Call  £1.20 £3.80 £42.61
jacksson16 Call  £1.20 £5.00 £43.19
Flop

• K

phil12uk Check     
jacksson16 Check     
villBet  £1.60 £6.60 £37.42
phil12uk Call  £1.60 £8.20 £41.01
jacksson16 Fold     
Turn

phil12uk Check     
vill Bet  £4.40 £12.60 £33.02
phil12uk Call  £4.40 £17.00 £36.61
River

phil12uk Check     
villBet  £2.00 £19.00 £31.02

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Once you've called the flop and turn, I'm not folding to that size bet on the river - the 8 changed nothing so you were either always behind to which you regret calling the previous streets or massively in front and you take down nice pot. It could be cheap bluff with AQ/AJ (diamonds perhaps) which explains his larger bet on turn but there's little value in raising the river - unless you genuinely believe he could lay down K10/KJ, you should be happy with the chance to get to showdown relatively cheap and take it on the chin if he's reeled you in with the King!
  • edited November 2009
    just call it for me, if you raise then he folds, he had a worse hand. But if he has the king, a raise is called so seems a waste to raise on the river
  • edited November 2009
    Depends on how the other guys has been playing - passive or aggressive.  If aggressive then yes. Main risk is if he calls or raises, chances are he has you beat. But hey in for a penny in for a pound.
  • edited November 2009
    Call, 99 is good more than 10% of the time here.
  • edited November 2009
    C/R the river here doesn't make sense to me and I doubt I'd be folding a K in that spot so I'd just  call down and be thankful that the river bet is so cheap.
  • edited November 2009
    not at these stakes, jus call ur gettin a decent price, a small amount of the time u will be gd here
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Is it worth a river steal attempt?:
    Call, 99 is good more than 10% of the time here.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    This is why you're just calling.

If you raise you're only getting called by better, meaning you lose alot more for the same profit for when he folds as when you flat call.

• edited November 2009
    i would just call
  • edited November 2009

Got to ask yourself why you called on the turn.
    If you called bc you thought your hand was probably good, then the river does nothing to change that. In that case just call.

If you called bc you thought you were behind, but could make some fancy play on the river, then ..............review your turn play imo.
  • edited November 2009
    just call.. if you reraised his river bet you prob would only get called if your beat...............
  • edited November 2009

You need to rr on flop.  His bet is only 1/3rd of the pot and probably signalling that he has a hand but does not like the k.  If c/r here to a pot size bet £6 you will get an answer either way.  If he repops or calls you can get away and have lost no more than making the play you did. Or if he folds, which he probably will do, then you take the pot there and then.

Once you call a weak flop bet and then call his turn bet, very difficult to fold to a small stopper/ value bet on the river.  At this point you are either way behind to 10 10, jj, qq, ak, kq, kj, k10 etc etc, or just infront.  Either way you need to be asking the questions earlier.

• edited November 2009

re raise on flop wud have been and answered ur questions on how strong his hand is