You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too tight a fold?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancescotty77Small blind £0.50£0.50£67.20LIONS62Big blind £0.50£1.00£47.31 Your hole cards710   gerrard9Fold    fisheyboy1Raise £2.50£3.50£69.57bearlytherCall £2.50£6.00£47.00scotty77Fold    LIONS62Fold    Flop  66J   fisheyboy1Check    bearlytherBet £3.00£9.00£44.00fisheyboy1Raise £6.00£15.00£63.57bearlytherCall £3.00£18.00£41.00Turn  8   fisheyboy1Bet £18.00£36.00£45.57bearlytherCall £18.00£54.00£23.00River  2   fisheyboy1All-in £45.57£99.57£0.00bearlytherFold    fisheyboy1Muck    fisheyboy1Win £52.20 £52.20fisheyboy1Return £45.57£1.80£97.77

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I would say it's one of those "Don't call the turn if you can't call the river" posts. You've made your flush and you're being asked to put in £18 of your £41 stack... This is where you need to make your decision.

I would probably raise all-in on the turn, unless I know that my opponent is liable to bluff on three streets or they're able to fold trips or a Jack for such a relatively small raise. I don't want another club coming on the river without my stack in the middle. When you call, it has to be with the intention of getting your stack in on a blank river, I think.

I guess the fold on the river is fine if our opponent is a nut-peddler but I don't think a nut-peddler bets the turn, after the club hits, with anything we beat. So that would mean folding the turn after hitting the flush. If we're folding the turn after hitting the flush, it probably means we should be folding to the min-raise on the flop since he's always likely to continue his aggression after the check-raise. Hmmm... Maybe it should always be a fold on the flop. lol

Next time just call the river bet and save me this headache. :)
  • edited September 2012

Is there any realistic hand that is beating you apart from JJ or AK of clubs?

Possibly 66 if you have seen him raise so big pre-flop with smallish pairs (but wouldnt he just flat call the flop?).

He could very easily have a hand you're beating, such as a largish pair with one club, or AJ with Ace of clubs.  I'm a terrible player generally, and a terrible cash player in particular, but I would definitely call having got this far.  I'm sure he hasnt come this far with 22, and if he got lucky with 88, then so be it.  With odds better than 2:1 I think it is a profitable call in the long run.

• edited September 2012
    You've called the flop to hit a flush. You've called the turn because you've hit the flush. Hit puts you all-in with a half pot bet and you fold the flush you've played the whole hand for????? Makes no sense. Either reraise turn or call turn with the intention of getting of getting it all-in on river. Can't call turn and fold river leaving 50% of your stack on the table.
  • edited September 2012
    His turn bet sizing would make me want to call.
  • edited September 2012
    You have to make your decision on the turn, because you called you have call river also - and im happy about it.

I would probably shove turn dependant on reads on opponent, I recon he has QQ,KK,AA - would like to see if I am right!
  • edited September 2012
    I aint folding a flush when I've flatted a full pot bet on the turn and only have £23 back and getting over 3/1. The turn bet does kind of commit you
  • edited September 2012
    He's never check/raising a full house on this flop so I would put him on QQ-AA AKs.

Flop - As played
    Turn - You've hit your flush, time to shove all in as you don't want to see another club on the river. All Ax draws, QQ-AA, AJ are all calling.  Only hand we're scared of is set Js.

River - You have to call! How can you call the turn and then fold to a brick river card? If you felt that he has the boat then you should of folded the turn.
  • edited September 2012
    Ok thanks for the responses.  Let me just say that i was never ever intending on folding and 1st time this has ever happened to me in my life where i accidently click the away button before i go to call i was so tilted after and left all my tables lol.  The reason for my call of the 5x raise pre was that my opponant had been playing pretty loose and i knew if i hit a hand i could get paid off.  Full credit to my opponant tho for inducing the missclick!  He must have been watching some of waterboats videos on inducing missclicks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMuUnAEAdA
  • edited September 2012
    why u raise pre ? as played u hit your card on the turn with your stack u call 18 and leave yaself 23 back ? y not ship it in on the turn here i dnt see the sense of calling of 18 then fold to extra £23 if u are calling the turn u have to call the river   the river is a blank and yet u still fold so y call the £18 on the turn u have got to ask yaself bearly 
  • edited September 2012
    wow I ain`t folding here I think he had aj/qq+ with one club

but yeah agree with borinloner why call turn n fold blank river makes no sense just don`t play these hands if you are not happy stacking off when you hit what you wanted imo.
  • edited September 2012
    Our opponent opens 5x pre and is called fisheyboy1, yet you just mucked your hand?
  • edited September 2012
    Please see above post of mym missclick!
  • edited September 2012
    i dont see any reason why you would post this hand in a 'poker clinic'.  there is no discussion to be had about the hand and all the hand comments just become a complete waste of time
  • edited September 2012
    + 1^^^ Great thread !
  • edited September 2012
    You've called on the flop to hit a flush and then called on the turn when you've a hit a flush. I litterally do not see any logic in folding the river with the ammount you've put and when a complete brick comes down as well. In my opinion definitely have to call once you've called the turn, folding litterally makes no sense

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Too tight a fold?:
    i dont see any reason why you would post this hand in a 'poker clinic'.  there is no discussion to be had about the hand and all the hand comments just become a complete waste of time
    Posted by huuuuume
    lolololololol because i can!
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Too tight a fold? : lolololololol because i can!
    Posted by bearlyther

lol

never folding CMON !
  • edited September 2012
    your prob beat but when you come in with 10 7 you hoping for flush or straight so if your not prepared to go bust when you hit it dont play these hands if it was me i would have went allin on turn if i played this hand
  • edited September 2012
    This is comedy GOLD!!!!!!
  • edited September 2012
    This is comedy GOLD!!!!!!
    Posted by GliterBabe
    If he had position on me in the hand i would have bet the river and folded to a shove