You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

have i played this hand like a div or what?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I recently was in a hand where i had pocket aces on the button, when the action came round to me i put a min raise in and was called by one person, the flop came KKK my opponant checked as did i, the turn came a 6 he checked so did i again, obviously i want my opponant to hit some kind of house to get some action, the river comes a 7 but again my opponant checks, at this point my train of thought is that my opponant couldn't have anything so i have to put a little bet in just to see if he calls with ace high or something, to my amazement he then raises me so i think he is thinking im trying to steal the pot or he has in fact hit a 6 or 7, hoping he's hit a 6 or 7 i push all in and he calls, to my astonishment he turns K5 so i lost to quads, was this bad play by me or was i justified by the line my opponant took.
I would appreciate some feed back as this hand is still annoying me a little

Comments

• edited September 2012
    In Response to have i played this hand like a div or what?:
    I recently was in a hand where i had pocket aces on the button, when the action came round to me i put a min raise in and was called by one person, the flop came KKK my opponant checked as did i, the turn came a 6 he checked so did i again, obviously i want my opponant to hit some kind of house to get some action, the river comes a 7 but again my opponant checks, at this point my train of thought is that my opponant couldn't have anything so i have to put a little bet in just to see if he calls with ace high or something, to my amazement he then raises me so i think he is thinking im trying to steal the pot or he has in fact hit a 6 or 7, hoping he's hit a 6 or 7 i push all in and he calls, to my astonishment he turns K5 so i lost to quads, was this bad play by me or was i justified by the line my opponant took. I would appreciate some feed back as this hand is still annoying me a little
    Posted by Herbie536
    Hi Herbie.
    Min raising pre-flop with premium like these is a NO NO and is always asking for trouble imo. Ok it was pretty unluck for you that he hit quads on this occasion, but if slow play these hands you will get beat a lot of the time.

Lets say the flop cam down 55K, K55, or even 355 for instance, our aces are smashed and we are going to lose the lot.

As for the rest of the hand, the check is ok on the flop, I would then have 3 bet the turn, if he calls or shove then we can likely put him on a K and maybe get away from it, but in all honesty we should not have put ourselves in the position in the first instance.

Never min raise with hands like these EVER (As Tikay would say) :)

Good luck m8 - See you at the tables
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: have i played this hand like a div or what?:
    Hi Herbie. Min raising pre-flop with premium like these is a NO NO and is always asking for trouble imo. Ok it was pretty unluck for you that he hit quads on this occasion, but if slow play these hands you will get beat a lot of the time.

Lets say the flop cam down 55K, K55, or even 355 for instance, our aces are smashed and we are going to lose the lot.

As for the rest of the hand, the check is ok on the flop, I would then have 3 bet the turn, if he calls or shove then we can likely put him on a K and maybe get away from it, but in all honesty we should not have put ourselves in the position in the first instance.

Never min raise with hands like these EVER (As Tikay would say) :)

Good luck m8 - See you at the tables
    Posted by POKERTREV
    I have to disagree with most of this post, PokerTrev:

The emboldended portion is only accurate in cash games or deepstack tournament situations. In shallow-stacked tournament situations a min-raise would be considered "standard" and has many advantages. We haven't really been given enough information about the circumstances of this hand to say whether a min-raise was appropriate.

Making a min-raise is not slow-playing. Slow-playing our hand would be limping or calling a raise. Limping with AA would certainly be a mistake but that's not what happened.

Being worried about our opponent flopping a full house, trips or two-pair is not a good way to play the game. If we hold AA we do not want our opponent to fold K5 pre-flop. If he makes this call we are delighted. If we're making raises with big hands because we want to make our opponents fold weak hands, then we're not going to make much money. Sometimes K5 beats AA; Most of the time it doesn't. 

I agree that the check on the flop is fine but there seems to be no bet on the turn so I assume you misread that part. However, I don't think we should be looking for ways to get away from the second nuts. Saying we would make a raise or a 3-bet with KKKAA on this board, with the intention of folding to a raise would be quite bad in my opinion. We would be acting out of fear of one hand, while in reality our opponents range is likely to contain many hands that we beat - Pocket pairs and any 6.

Saying we should never min-raise with hands like these is bad advice in my opinion. There are times when it's bad to min-raise and times when it's good to do so. Most importantly we mustn't alter our bet sizes dependent on the strength of our hand. If we would min-raise here with KQ or 66, then we should do the same with AA.

If the Original Poster could provide us with the following information, it would be helpful:

i) Stack sizes at the table.
    ii) Action in front of you in the hand - Was it folded around to your button or was it limped or raised in front of you?
    iii) Any reads on your opponents play and how you have been playing yourself. (Playing lots of hands, aggressively/passively, etc.)

Looking at the hand as presented I can see one or two little adjustments but I'll hold off until you can tell us more.
  • edited September 2012
    Bet flop forvalue

Bet turn for value. Never check 2streets imo

River I shove as well, v some villains might just call the raise

As borin said more info for better replies
  • edited September 2012
    Definately putting in a small bet by the turn, but i,d still lose as i,d be shoving the river as well putting him on a small pocket pair or the 6 or 7
  • edited September 2012

bet bigger pre and flop turn and river altho by turn i think you would have known he had you beat