You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad beat, or just poker

Playing on a 5c/10c cash table.  Pocket 9's on the button.  One limper before.  Raised to 3BB, folded round to BB who re-reaised to 95c.  Limper calls, I call.  Flop comes down rainbow 3 9 Q.  I bet out 1/2 pot size, BB re-reaises all in for about $8.  Passenger folds.  I called, for some reason I totally discounted pocket Queens (maybe my mistake).  Q comes on the turn, can't remember river card.  He turns over Q9 off-suit.  Would I have been too nitty folding the set (or the 9's pre-flop), even though he had jammed?  Could I have got him off this, or is your average player married to the top two pair?  Is it just one of those things, I got the money in good and got donked?

Rapidly falling out with NLHE!!!!

Comments

• edited September 2012
    No, always fold a set when raised

I assume you are levelling, this is a cooler postflop
  • edited September 2012

Thanks - I presume you are saying 'don't get married to hands'.  Flirt a bit, take it out to dinner, but as soon as the tinitus starts get off the pot.  On that subject, when do I go with it.  Take for example:-

Playing in a free pub league; Pick up Qs7s in BB; checked down family pot.  Flopped flush 5 8 9 (straight flush draw never entered my thinking); open betting with 250 into 500; call from button only; 4s turn; bet 500 into 1000; button re-raises 1200; I jam for remaining 4400...

...He calls and turns over Ks X; cards have flast FURB with 6c; I go home 29 minutes after shuffle up and deal feeling a bit of a wally.

Question therefore:-

1) Was my bet too small on the flop? (I suspect not)
    2) Was it a fishy call from Button? (I suspect it was)
    3) Was it a bad bet on the turn? (I suspect it was)
    4) Should I have got off it on the button's re-raise? (I think this was my big mistake)
    5) Was calling the All-in a bit fishy from the button, I could have checked the BB originally with a low suited Ace, or had the As? (I would like to think so, but stand to be corrected)