You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

8NL - OESD v a Donk;)

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Thoughts on my line here please.

I called pre because I'm IP, we're almost 150xBB effective, and Donk seems obsessed with trying to outplay me so always does 'find a player', comes to my cash tables, then plays some odd hands v me lol so I'm confident of winning a big pot if I can make a hand either by letting him bluff off, or him trying to bluff raise me.

Should I have raised the flop? When I flat the flop, I assume flatting the turn is fine?

Thought have thought I was actually ahead until he binked the river ;)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
IDONKCALLU Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £11.19
Lambert180 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £17.41
  Your hole cards

normarg Fold     
GREGHOGG Fold     
IDONKCALLU Raise  £0.16 £0.28 £11.03
Lambert180 Call  £0.12 £0.40 £17.29
Flop

• K

IDONKCALLU Bet  £0.24 £0.64 £10.79
Lambert180 Call  £0.24 £0.88 £17.05
Turn

• A

IDONKCALLU Bet  £0.66 £1.54 £10.13
Lambert180 Call  £0.66 £2.20 £16.39
River

IDONKCALLU Bet  £1.12 £3.32 £9.01
Lambert180 Fold     
IDONKCALLU Show

IDONKCALLU Win  £2.03  £11.04
IDONKCALLU Return  £1.12 £0.17 £12.16

Comments

• edited September 2012
    a donk who is 4 buy ins up on heads up 10nl cash :)
  • edited September 2012
    always loking for your tables lambert xtra value lolz
  • edited September 2012
    i was betting river whatever river was irrelevant only way i could win pot
  • edited September 2012
    Well, you knew IDONK didn't have the nuts on the river because he didn't value-shove. ;)

When you call the flop, it's got to be with some possibility of taking the hand away on later streets. The turn is the perfect card for you to raise and represent while still having some equity with your straight draw if he calls...

Maybe IDONKCALLU is never folding to you, though. If not, then I probably don't like chasing the straight draw, particularly on the three-diamond board. You know that, if you're behind, you've only got six comfortable outs and hitting your straight could be the worst thing for you if your opponent has the made-flush.

So I'd raise or fold the turn.
  • edited September 2012
    meh I fold pre but peeling in position is never bad here .. 3b is good pre too

I raise flop. You can expect villain to fold so much and there are so many sexyyyyyyy turn cards. And even if there's not you CAN already have a fit made hand. So I raise and barrel any turn

As played meh. Tbh I prob fold or raise. Flatting the turn and folding to a river bet when you miss is soooooo passive and boring and youre just burning money.

Your line is too passive imo

• edited September 2012
    calling connecting cards is only profitable if you sucessfully bluff some of the time.. if you only ever call down and then fold when you miss then you lose money overall

as played, just fold the turn you don't have odds to call for the straight and 2 of your outs are diamonds
  • edited September 2012
    Why is 98o a good hand to flat with v a guy who is trying to outplay you?

And yeah you need to have a good plan for postflop. I like raising that turn, u can raise flop also if you like. 
  • edited September 2012
    you saying that about my comment? i prefer 3b or fold pre ofc. but just saying it isnt so bad. 
  • edited September 2012
    raise flop or raise turn

v donk it's always the best policy )
  • edited September 2012
    lambert gettin absolutely bossed!

nice to see this isnt a standard hand like usual tho...3bet AK...K high flop...is this a good spot to cbet????

CAPTAIN IDONKCALLU!!!!
  • edited September 2012
    fold pre

fold turn...you have so little showdown value and can expect to have very few outs against most of oppo's range. 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: 8NL - OESD v a Donk;):
    lambert gettin absolutely bossed!  nice to see this isnt a standard hand like usual tho...3bet AK...K high flop...is this a good spot to cbet???? CAPTAIN IDONKCALLU!!!!
    Posted by bolly580
    I think I played it brilliantly, knew exactly where I was, called when I was ahead on flop and turn, then folded river when I knew I went behind ;)

• edited September 2012
    played the hand weakly and with no plan 

sorry
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: 8NL - OESD v a Donk;):
    In Response to Re: 8NL - OESD v a Donk;) : I think I played it brilliantly, knew exactly where I was, called when I was ahead on flop and turn, then folded river when I knew I went behind ;)
    Posted by Lambert180
    sorry Lambert - but I think you are falling into my trap (ie how I used to play). Calling when you think you are a little ahead and then folding when he overtakes you isn't the way to maximise your gains. raise the flop - you have a decent hand - and see if you can get paid there and then - re-evaluate the next card if he calls but keep the pressure on. if he comes over the top - ul - but at least you put up a fight.
  • edited September 2012
    I should point out... I was being sarcastic when I was I played the hand brilliantly lol. Obviously I didn't know I was ahead on the flop and turn (until he showed me his cards).

I think the main mistake was not raising either the flop or the turn. Point definitely taken on board... it's all a learning game innit, and I think I've improved my cash game more in the last month or so with the help of you chaps, than I had done in all my months of plodding about at 4NL in the past.
  • edited September 2012
    Pre

With opponents range being wide I would prefer 3 bet pre, unless you are gettting four bet a lot. Flatting in position pre can be ok in my opinion, in particular that deep in position against a wide opening range. Also you seem to have good post flop reads on opponent, so this justifys a call more. You will have  to be calling , with a view to make moves on cerain boards, and following through with the moves through the streets.

Flop

Call is fine given opponents tendency to bluff through the streets, so we can look to hit the turn and let the opponent barrel off and get our value from the hand this way. If you are confident you made a profitable call on the flop don't worry about folding the turn, with your straight draw particularly on flush drawing boards. If opponent check folds turn a lot then we can call profitably, by betting turn when checked to.  If we raise flop and get rerased big,we usually have to fold , hate it, and lose value from strong hands that bet the flop. Although we are very deep so we could call a flop 3 bet in position and look to stack opponent alot of the time, it we hit turn. So we will be pot building and balancing our flop re raising range.

Turn.

I would fold or raise, flush action killer for extracting value on river, if we hit also reverse implied odds come into the frame.On a board with no flush draws, i think we can call turn, with stacks that deep. Against a very heavy turn bluffer we can raise turn for fold equity form their air, balancing our turn raising range, and fold equity on river if the opponent calls turn looking to hit a flush on the end, and then misses. I think it is important to bet river if we raise turn,if flush card misses on the end. It is very believable we can have a flush here, as long a we don't make too many moves /overuse the move. Ideally you want a wide turn betting range for this move, which in this case you have.
  • edited September 2012
    Against one oppo it is not worth calling a bet with connectors. Let the 8p go.