You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River Value Bet - £5.25 HU Sit and Go.

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic

The opponent is one of the tougher players at this level. He's called down a couple of streets with second pair once or twice but has been mostly solid and pretty aggressive. I've played him before and I think he probably knows I'm capable of bluffing multiple streets/donking off my stack. He has been coming over my bets and raises a fair amount and sometimes floating my c-bets.

If anyone has anything to say about the action up to the river, feel free. The question is really about this river bet, though.

Since he's called me down on two streets already, am I missing value on this river? If he had nothing he would either have raised before now or, more likely with this type of board, would have given up already. So I'm pretty confident he has some sort of value hand. There have to be some two-pairs in that range but the straights are obvious on this board and you'd expect a raise on the flop or turn from those two-pairs most of the time. He may have been allowing me to barrell, though. Am I leaving value behind against his range or is my bet about right?

I knew he might yet have a one-pair hand and my image might get this bet paid. Perhaps more pertinently I didn't think I'd get a call from the weak two-pairs if I bet too big: I haven't exactly been making huge bluffing bets up to this point.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BorinLoner Small blind  10.00 10.00 1540.00
1009498 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1430.00
 Your hole cards
  • J

BorinLoner Raise  40.00 70.00 1500.00
1009498 Call  30.00 100.00 1400.00
Flop

1009498 Check     
BorinLoner Bet  50.00 150.00 1450.00
1009498 Call  50.00 200.00 1350.00
Turn

1009498 Check     
BorinLoner Bet  120.00 320.00 1330.00
1009498 Call  120.00 440.00 1230.00
River

1009498 Check     
BorinLoner Bet  280.00 720.00 1050.00

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Seems completely standard to me. I think you'd definitely be missing out by checking back the river.
  • edited September 2012
    Yes. Checking back would not be good.

It's just the size: Am I overestimating the chances that i) he calls this smallish bet with one-pair some of the time and ii) he folds with weakish two pairs to a big bet (47, 48, 78, or 79 perhaps)?

If he only ever calls with two-pairs and up but doesn't lay down the weak two-pairs for a bigger bet, then obviously bigger would be better.

I understand it's tough to know without knowledge of the player. Just generally speaking, what do we all think?
  • edited September 2012

I think I'd make it smaller if anything, not bigger. 

180 maybe.....

• edited September 2012
    seems ok to me maybe around 200 river 
  • edited September 2012
    Smaller is a bit of a surprise.

Isn't 180-200 a bet designed purely to try to get value from a one-pair hand? Doesn't it leave a huge amount behind if they have better? Aren't alot of the one-pair hands now two-pairs by this river anyway?

Given that I've bet three streets and this river is going to be a disaster for any one-pair, is it realistic to think I'll get called at all by those hands? I made the bet thinking I might but wouldn't have posted if I didn't have doubts about that.
  • edited September 2012
    Bet bigger, like 550,if he's gonna call 200 etc then he's gonna call more. Got's to get max value when in spots like this at smaller stakes.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Borin
    I've seem some of your posts and been impressed Borin. Could you or anyone help me wiith this once and for all please....
    I'm trying to improve my HUPLAY by playing hu shuffles a little. May i ask if the blinds are say 10/20 does the phrase 'raise to 2BB' mean that the pot will then have 40+20=60 in, waiting for bb'b action.
    You get in books 'raise 5k' not 'raise to 5k' which is different isn't it?
     From the hand point of view imo what uv done is fine and im glad i would have done the same.

May i ask if that is the person's real name because if it is, shouldn't you rejig it so it doesn't advertise his play?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: River Value Bet - £5.25 HU Sit and Go.:
    Seems completely standard to me. I think you'd definitely be missing out by checking back the river.
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol really? ha

I kinda like 280, but anything around there is fine imo.
  • edited September 2012
    He hasn't really revealed anything abuot his play Profman because we don't know what the villian has, so this could be what he does with 72 or AA, so makes no difference really.

If you raise TO 2xBB, raising TO will always be the total amount you're putting in, so if you raise TO 750, then the full amount you've put in is 750 regardless of if it's a raise, 3bet, 4bet etc etc. So if you raise TO 2xBB then you are making it 40 in total @ 10/20. I wouldn't worry too much about the terminology though as long as you know what yuo want your bet to do.

• edited September 2012
    Make it bigger imo, polarise your range and look for a hero call. 
  • edited September 2012

the river bet is towards the top end of what i would bet. 

on this board even 2 pair hands are hero calls for villain so you want to make it as easy for him to call as possible. 

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: River Value Bet - £5.25 HU Sit and Go.:
    the river bet is towards the top end of what i would bet.  on this board even 2 pair hands are hero calls for villain so you want to make it as easy for him to call as possible. 
    Posted by huuuuume
    +1

Bet small on river for me
  • edited September 2012
    So the suggestions range from: 

Bet smaller - It's fine - Bet Bigger

I suppose that means 280 isn't too bad. I couldn't make my mind up. I think seeing his hand and knowing that I definitely missed value caused me to doubt my sizing.

Profman, I see Lambert has answered your questions. Thanks for the kind words.
  • edited September 2012
    not sure if i would bet the turn tbh