You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

General advice on protecting a made hand against getting max value

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all

Something I really seem to struggle with is getting max value and bet sizing. I cant find the hand to demostrate so i'll try to explain as best i can

All players are running 30 to 50 bbs and quite early in the tournement

early positions fold
u/g raises 3x
button calls
i call with pocket 4's
b/b folds

flop is Jd / 4c / 8d

i check
u/g checks
button min raises

What i then tend to do is re raise strongly to protect aginst the flush draw and generally fold the other 2 out knowing that a made flush in 6 max is far more likely than in full ring games

Is this the correct play or should I try not to be concerned about the possible flush and trap for value (There has been the very odd time when my re raise has been called, a flush has connected and I've lost a large chunk of my chips)

Comments

• edited September 2012
    In your example I think you can take one of 2 lines: the first being to donk bet. A lot of the time the opener will check behind on this flop given it's multiway and it tends to hit calling range rather than the openers range, and you don't want this to go check check check to give a free turn. Secondly is the check raise, i can't give you a raise size as it's dependant on stacks and pot size. I don't like check calling bcos there are quite a few turn cards that might scare you if villain bets strongly again PLUS it might kill your action - if villain has AA and you just flat his cbet, and the flush is made on the turn (ott) he might check and you lose a lot of value. So mainly c/r is the best line to take, occasionaly you can c/c on certain boards. 

Just because there's a flush draw and someones bet doesn't mean he has a fd, in fact it's pretty unlikely he has one. So of course protect your hand against possible draws and value bet your hand well to get more chips from overpairs and TP etc... but don't be too concerned is my advice.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2012
    percy sums it up well, also i'd prefer c/ring these types of boards as opposed to c/cing because, when the board is quite draw heavy, you can represent draws when you raise as well as strong made hands, so players are more likely to continue with top pair/overpairs etc.
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks both - I guess its one of those hands where u only remember the times when u do get out drawn by a flush which i know are few and far between

Great advice
  • edited September 2012
    Worry about getting value from worse hands ( inc draws) rather than protecting your hand. 

In the situation you describe I would usually c/r , but it depends on reads stack sizes etc
  • edited September 2012
    You need to donk...if people come along fine but don't give them free cards if indeed you want to protect a hand.