You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a call or fold?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Oppo has been playing quite loose, still early on in the tourney, do i need to get involved here?

I`m probably racing , spewy to call or tight to fold?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
thefootb29 Small blind  25.00 25.00 2080.00
lawr Big blind  50.00 75.00 2480.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

wee_pero Raise  250.00 325.00 4210.00
davelufc Raise  850.00 1175.00 5475.00
DIDUDANNY Fold     
Cherrybeex Fold     
thefootb29 Fold     
lawr Fold     
wee_pero All-in  4210.00 5385.00 0.00
davelufc ??

Comments

• edited September 2012
    This will probaly be a split decision as imo AK early on can be a hand that gets us into loads of trouble. Late on it becomes a massive hand and there is much more of an easy decision to call. I would tend to play the player here more than my hand and would probably not c/r that amount considering his 5x from ep with the hope of trapping down the streets.

Mind you I am still very early on in my poker journey so would also be interested in everyones thoughts
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Is this a call or fold?:
    Oppo has been playing quite loose, still early on in the tourney, do i need to get involved here? I`m probably racing , spewy to call or tight to fold? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance thefootb29 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2080.00 lawr Big blind   50.00 75.00 2480.00   Your hole cards K A       wee_pero Raise   250.00 325.00 4210.00 davelufc Raise   850.00 1175.00 5475.00 DIDUDANNY Fold         Cherrybeex Fold         thefootb29 Fold         lawr Fold         wee_pero All-in   4210.00 5385.00 0.00 davelufc ??
    Posted by davelufc
    Easy fold in my opinion, its unlikely early on villian is doing this with aq/aj/kq, so your nearly always going to be against a pair in which you are an underdog.  In tournament play while the blinds are still low theres no need to get involved here, theres much better spots to get your money in
  • edited September 2012
     Hi sir

Fold IMo. Looking at other stacks, you seem well-placed and could be dominated. Tend to steer clear of big stacks on tables....bully the tiddlers...... If you had a smaller stack i'd say go for it...don't hink there's a need here nut it's your money as you'll probably be 46:54 here. Mind you may have had some reads of this player from showdowns and have some idea of his strategy/ aggression etc.
  • edited September 2012

Took me literally years to learn that you shouldn't 3b AK if you're planning to fold to a 4bet. 

Wish I'd understood that earlier, so it's worth repeating on all these clinic threads where it's relevant. 

It's basics, but it's only easy if you know it.

So yeh as played, snap call. If you don't want to go all in, don't 3bet in the first place.
  • ybyb
    edited September 2012
    3bet smaller, don't fold now
  • edited September 2012
    Got to think he holds a medium to high pair and he has shown he's happy to get his money in. If he was that loose early on just call his initial raise and wait for flop. If you hit and he bets after flop then you can get your money in. 
  • ybyb
    edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this a call or fold?:
    Got to think he holds a medium to high pair and he has shown he's happy to get his money in. If he was that loose early on just call his initial raise and wait for flop. If you hit and he bets after flop then you can get your money in. 
    Posted by wartic
    if he's loose and aggro why wouldn't you just want to get stacks in pre when you could easily be dominating him, rather than calling and having to fold the flop most of the time?
  • edited September 2012
    Have said the same as dohhhh don't 3b ak on a raise
  • edited September 2012
    Took me literally years to learn that you shouldn't 3b AK if you're planning to fold to a 4bet.  Wish I'd understood that earlier, so it's worth repeating on all these clinic threads where it's relevant.  It's basics, but it's only easy if you know it. So yeh as played, snap call. If you don't want to go all in, don't 3bet in the first place.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

A very good point...cheers Dohhhh...i'll write that down....
    So are you saying call and see a flop then?
  • edited September 2012
    Personally yes, im have fish half nit lol
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this a call or fold? :   A very good point...cheers Dohhhh...i'll write that down.... So are you saying call and see a flop then?
    Posted by profman15
    Either

a) call and see a flop....

or....

b) Raise the initial raise, and be prepared to put all your stack in.

Both are better options than raising then folding to a 4bet or a shove from the initial opener. (if another player behind 4bets or shoves, then we are allowed to fold)

I would prefer option b, like Dave, and now be snap calling the all in.

Generally I'd advise going with option B most of the time. With reads, option A can be best though. 

Option c, of raising then folding to a 4bet, is very very bad, and much worse than A and B!

(hope I haven't confused you more lol)

• edited September 2012

Thanks all for the replies, Interesting that there was not one answer.

Thats why poker is such a good game, no one got the same opinion on a certain hand

on a PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    thefootb29 Small blind  25.00 25.00 2080.00
    lawr Big blind  50.00 75.00 2480.00
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

wee_pero Raise  250.00 325.00 4210.00
    davelufc Raise  850.00 1175.00 5475.00
    DIDUDANNY Fold     
    Cherrybeex Fold     
    thefootb29 Fold     
    lawr Fold     
    wee_pero All-in  4210.00 5385.00 0.00
    davelufc All-in  5475.00 10860.00 0.00
    davelufc Unmatched bet  1865.00 8995.00 1865.00
    wee_pero Show

davelufc Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

Turn

• J

River

wee_pero Win Pair of 5s 8995.00  8995.00
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Dave

46:54 equity means you're up against an underpair just like you were.
  • edited September 2012
    The thing to remember here, while you are flipping as an underdog, because you've already put 850 in, you are calling 3360 to win 5385 which is nice pot odds when you're virtually 50/50 to win
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Dave 46:54 equity means you're up against an underpair just like you were.
    Posted by profman15
    Errrrr, please turn that statement around so that it actually makes sense (i.e.) you're up against an underpair with 46:52 equity.

You must be a retired Prof.
  • edited September 2012
    As others have said, 3-bet-folding AK in these situations is probably not going to be profitable long-term.

The one point I'd like to emphasise is that when someone makes it 5x UTG, you're unlikely to see AA or KK very often. That means that the pot odds of 3360 to win 5385 (1.6:1) are irresistable.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this a call or fold? : Errrrr, please turn that statement around so that it actually makes sense (i.e.) you're up against an underpair with 46:52 equity. You must be a retired Prof.
    Posted by RogueCell

Hi Rogue
    Grandad here.
    Why turn what around? I don't understand what your saying here. He will be the underdog v an underpair...with about 46:54 equity. He asked why no one had given the hand. I was saying i had by stating this equityand so suggesting the underpair.
    Ps Im not going to tell you abut your "46:52"(must add up to 100, sweet) ...grandads don't do that!. Hope your birthday went well...cheers