You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll sucess?

I am still not 100% sure how to run a sucessful bankroll, can someone offer some advice please? Much appreciated!

Comments

• edited November 2009

stick to tournaments so you can control your loses. Otherwise on wrong site - lol

• edited November 2009
    You play within ur means.
    You never play with scared money.
    You dont have a massive chunk of ur bankroll in play at any time.
    You only move up levels when successful and winning more times than not.
  • edited November 2009
    best bit of advice i was given. Don't play with scared money. If you can't afford to lose that much don't play with that much.
  • edited November 2009
    I play about 3%, no ouch factor at that level
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
    take to the tables about 5% of your bankroll
  • edited November 2009
    the usual guidelines are

~20 buy ins for cash games (when your taking the max allowed)

~25 buy ins for Sit n Go games

~40 buyins for MTTs

if your a successful player and stick to that, you should make money
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll sucess?:
    the usual guidelines are ~20 buy ins for cash games (when your taking the max allowed) ~25 buy ins for Sit n Go games ~40 buyins for MTTs if your a successful player and stick to that, you should make money
    Posted by Hogg321
    This!

If you play scared, you will lose equity in every hand since you'll be folding more often and so people will bluff against you way more.
  • edited November 2009
    Before i really knew anything about backroll management i was down quite a bit.

No i control it and have played within it's means i am UP i little bit.
    Obviously this doenst help you just thought id share my story :)
  • edited November 2009
    ive gone broke a few times because of not using BR management, trying to up my BR now with freerolls and see if i can gain from there these days.. lol
  • edited November 2009
    Like others have said, between 2 and 5% of your bankroll should never be put down in 1 game, but if you are only playing for fun and playing small amounts i.e your BR is £10 then its no the end of the world if you go busto. If on the other hand you want to start a proper bankroll and play regually, I would look to deposit a minimum of £50. Reason being if you start from £20 your max buyin should be £1, theres only so many £1 games you can do before you get bored and start playing out of your limits.

I did this many times, used to deposit £30 go up and down and eventually bust before reloading, then I decided I would deposit more and make it last. I put down £120 i think, and iv now cashed out numerous times and still have a pretty tasty bankroll which I have not deposited into for getting on a year now.
  • edited November 2009
    ask Webby :)
    Posted by diablo_pez
    lol
  • edited November 2009
    the usual guidelines are ~20 buy ins for cash games (when your taking the max allowed) ~25 buy ins for Sit n Go games ~40 buyins for MTTs if your a successful player and stick to that, you should make money
    Posted by Hogg321
    Wow, no.

I'm by no means a brm nit but

40 BI for NL cash (most say 50, I think 40's fine)
    50 BI for SnG's (move up to a reg at the next level at 100 BI's, but take shots before)
    100 BI for MTT's (w/o a doubt the highest variance form of poker)
  • edited November 2009
    Not really necessary to have 40-50BIs for cash if you're moving down appropriately imo ladyfingrs
  • edited November 2009
    Not really necessary to have 40-50BIs for cash if you're moving down appropriately imo ladyfingrs
    Posted by Deadluck
    You think move down every time you have a 10BI downswing?

They happen somewhat often
  • edited November 2009
    40 BI for NL cash (most say 50, I think 40's fine)

Multi-tabling I'd say 40 is minimum, however if you are only gonna be 1-tabling and play pretty snug then 20/25BI is fine.

• edited November 2009
    I agree with Phil, the key is to always play within your means.

If we're classing our bankrolls as the amount we keep in our sky poker accounts, mine is 3 buy-ins for NL50.
  • edited November 2009
    40 BI for NL cash (most say 50, I think 40's fine) Multi-tabling I'd say 40 is minimum, however if you are only gonna be 1-tabling and play pretty snug then 20/25BI is fine.
    Posted by scotty77
    But really, aside from rec players, who 1 tables anymore?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll sucess? : But really, aside from rec players, who 1 tables anymore?
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    old people
  • edited November 2009

People like me, who cnt play 3/4 onm this site for some reason that is beyond me as i cud, and still can, play manyt tables on other sites! please help me sum1, ive restored my comp to factory settings to try and solve this, its so frustrating. I dnt use a dongle or owt like that it must be something simple.

plzzzz help meeee :(
  • edited November 2009
    People like me, who cnt play 3/4 onm this site for some reason that is beyond me as i cud, and still can, play manyt tables on other sites! please help me sum1, ive restored my comp to factory settings to try and solve this, its so frustrating. I dnt use a dongle or owt like that it must be something simple. plzzzz help meeee :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Most comon response i've heard to the lag problems on here is to clear your temp internet files but i can't profess to know the answer to be honest
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll sucess? : Wow, no. I'm by no means a brm nit but 40 BI for NL cash (most say 50, I think 40's fine) 50 BI for SnG's (move up to a reg at the next level at 100 BI's, but take shots before) 100 BI for MTT's (w/o a doubt the highest variance form of poker)
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    It depends on how comfortable and how good your game is for the level your playing. You can play on a 10 BI roll if you think your edge is that big that variance shouldn't really effect it. E.g. a 1/2 reg cashing a roll out for whatever reason then trying to rebuild up from 25nl certainly wont need a 1k roll because their edge is just going to be huge. Plus certain games play nitty and contain less variance because you can nearly always stack off with the top of your range.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Bankroll sucess? : It depends on how comfortable and how good your game is for the level your playing. You can play on a 10 BI roll if you think your edge is that big that variance shouldn't really effect it. E.g. a 1/2 reg cashing a roll out for whatever reason then trying to rebuild up from 25nl certainly wont need a 1k roll because their edge is just going to be huge. Plus certain games play nitty and contain less variance because you can nearly always stack off with the top of your range.
    Posted by iveyesc
    Yah, 10BI is never fine.