You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Silly superstition or is there something in it?

edited November 2009 in The Shed
As many people on here will know I'm a big West Ham fan. Unfortunately things really haven't gone as expected this season & it's pretty certain that we'll find ourselves back in the bottom three later today.

However, there could be more to this. On the opening day of the season we beat Wolves 2-0 and that match day I was wearing my shirt from last season. After that game & feeling very optimistic for the season I went online & ordered our new home shirt which I've worn every match day since except for one game. The one game I didn't wear the new shirt was when we beat Villa 2-1. Every other match day I've worn the new shirt we haven't won a single game! A couple of draws but that's it but unfortunately 2 of those draws involved us throwing away a 2-0 lead both times.

So is it just a spooky coincidence or is there more to the power of the replica shirt?

Does anyone else have any superstitions when it comes to their teams?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I voted silly sup, but dont think they are rubbish, came back well yest.
  • edited November 2009
    no i dont think its superstition just uncanny
  • edited November 2009
    WE ALL DO IT THE SEASON POMPEY WENT UP TO THE PREMIERSHIP THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL SUNNY DAY I WORE JEANS AND A T SHIRT (I DONT WEAR MY POMPEY SHIRT TO MATCHES BECAUSE THIS IS BAD LUCK) BROUGHT A BOTTLE OF DIET COKE ON MY WAY INTO THE GROUND WE WON I DID THE SAME FOR THE NEXT 5 HOME GAMES ALL WINS. THEN ITS MID OCTOBER EVENING KICK OFF. IF YOUVE BEAN TO FRATTON PARK ITS ALWAYS A NIGHTMARE TO PARK AND EVENING KICK OFFS A PARTICULARLY BAD. SO IVE PARKED ABOUT A MILE AWAY FROM WHERE I USUALLY PARK SO IVE HAD TO GO OUT OF MY WAY TO GO TO THE SAME SHOP SO AS NOT TO JINX THE BLUES. I SIT DOWN EVERONE LOOKING AT THAT MAD BLOKE SHIVERING IN A T SHIRT.BUT I BRAVED IT AND WE BEAT THE MIGHTY WIMBLEDON. THE NEXT HOME GAME WAS LEICESTER AND I RAINED TORENTUALLY AND MY GIRLFRIENDS CAR WOULDNT START IN THE MORNING SO SHE TOOK MINE I WENT ON THE TRAIN WEARING JUMPER COAT HAT AND GLOVES. WENT STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND WE LOST TWO NIL. SO GET LAST SEASONS SHIRT BACK ON ASAP MY FRIEND AND WE CAN ALL HAVE A LARGE BET ON THE HAMMERS TO MAKE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SPOTS
  • edited November 2009
    I voted silly - but can understand why you would go back to your old top. You just never know. Karma is a very funny thing so change that top now.
  • edited November 2009
    Ah, Fratton Park. Only been there once & it was an experience to say the least. By no means the worst ground I'vew ever visited but the visiting facilities are somewhat lacking. Still, I've noticed they've put a roof on the visitors end now though. I thought you lot were moving into a new stadium. What's happening there then Badboy?

Anyhow, next up we're at home to Burnley & whilst I'd like to think we should beat them at our place I'm gonna take your advice and go with last seasons shirt cos god knows we need the points now.
  • edited November 2009
    GOD KNOWS WEVE ONLY BEEN WAITING 30 YEARS THE FUNNIEST THING IS WERE STILL GOING FOR A HOST CITY FOR THE 2018 WORLD CUP BID LOL
  • edited November 2009
    I've got 12 Leeds shirts and it doesn't matter which one i wear, we win anyway lol
  • edited November 2009
    labrat, when i get down to elland road, ive got no superstition but we always win anyway hehe :)

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Silly superstition or is there something in it?:
    I've got 12 Leeds shirts and it doesn't matter which one i wear, we win anyway lol
    Posted by labrat64
    Which quality opposition were u playing in.........what league is it again??? ;)
  • edited November 2009
    a couple of mine for you.

a try my best to go to every Newcastle home game.

whilst at the games i wear my lucky Newcastle socks and wear my scarf in a way that the Newcastle emblem is facing and pressed against my chest.

odd i know.

didn't really work too much last year but this season.....
  • edited November 2009
    great thread by the way.

+ 1 point
  • edited November 2009

I had a similar situation a few years ago too (the famous Tevez season). Every time I wore my '86 retro top we lost (unfortunately I was wearing it at Reading on new years day when we got tonked 6-0!).

Needless to say I haven't worn it on a match day since.

Although, I'm convinced it was my lucky jacket that I wore to every game in the run in that season that kept us up and not king Carlos, as we won every game when I wore it to the match. I was that convinced, that when we played at the Emirates it was a scorching hot day so I just took it with me in my bag and low and behold Bobby Z popped up with the winner (and to this day I still have no idea how Arsenal didn't score at least 10 that day)

• edited November 2009
    Maybe, just maybe there could be something in this?

Wore last season's shirt today and not only did we manage to win but also scored 5 in the process!!!

OK, so we also conceded 3 but that's not the point really.

Now for the real test. Next up is Man Utd at home next Saturday so last season's shirt will be the clothing of choice.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Silly superstition or is there something in it?:
    Maybe, just maybe there could be something in this? Wore last season's shirt today and not only did we manage to win but also scored 5 in the process!!! OK, so we also conceded 3 but that's not the point really. Now for the real test. Next up is Man Utd at home next Saturday so last season's shirt will be the clothing of choice.
    Posted by silentbob
    If you like this superstition dont wear it nxt week becuase it will be blown out of the water, continue wearing it against teams like burnley :)
  • edited November 2009
    Well after reading through this, there can now be no doubt that there's something in it