You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sigh @ barrelling a kak turn for us (again), shud I give up or try again?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
The guy was on a few of the tables running in the early hours, so I remember assuming at the time that he might be good. Prob wrong to do that.

No reads or anything. Never played him before.

Would betting the river compound my turn error?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £48.50
kcxyz Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £98.50
tappazuki Sit out     
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

kapstad Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.25 £2.00 £47.25
kcxyz Call  £1.00 £3.00 £97.50
Flop

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £2.00 £5.00 £45.25
kcxyz Call  £2.00 £7.00 £95.50
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £5.00 £12.00 £40.25
kcxyz Call  £5.00 £17.00 £90.50
River

• K

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £9.50 £26.50 £30.75
kcxyz

Comments

• ybyb
    edited September 2012
    as you say the turn isn't a great barrelling card. i'd defo bet that river, but i think you probs need to make it bigger if you want to try to fold out one pair hands as well as draws
  • edited September 2012
    agree with above

need to make it bigger if your gonna fire again, prob like 14 to put villian under pressure with all his 1 pair hands
  • edited September 2012
    yh agree with above. 

most of his pairs/draws are staying with you ott and you only really have 2 overcards. as played yh i bet river but bigger
  • edited September 2012
    If he has a pp and made trips or has k's he would play like this. Readless after one call I would check to see his reaction. If he checks he is drawing and if he bets you save some money- what are you actually beating here.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Sigh @ barrelling a kak turn for us (again), shud I give up or try again?:
    If he has a pp and made trips or has k's he would play like this. Readless after one call I would check to see his reaction. If he checks he is drawing and if he bets you save some money- what are you actually beating here.
    Posted by gracie24

You're saying whenever a villain checks behind it's a draw? I'm sure he'd check behind a lot of made hands that he doesn't want to build the pot with that he thinks have a good chance of winning at showdown.

Hero isn't betting for value on the turn. He knows he isn't beating anything hence the bet, admittedly it's not a great barreling card but he's betting to knock villain off his weak hands/air. 

• edited September 2012
    I guess you can bet the river too if you think you would also lead 99-QQ for value, as it looks alot like this. How have you been playing? have you been barreling much so would villain happily c/c down with an 8 or 9? 

I guess checking the turn is essentially giving up on the pot so is why you didnt do it. Whilst the 2 is a bad barrell card for bluffs, its a good barrel card for value hands like overpairs.. does villain know this? in which case a bad barrel card becomes a good barrel card. 

Given the above i'd say a good player would be calling with draws and SHOULD be folding their pairs that arent TP and some or all of their TP hands.. IF they are good. 
    IF they are bad or a station then, well, don't have to barrel to beat them. 

Against a good player i dont mind the river bet as you can still rep a widish range for value that will beat alot of the hands he calls flop and turn. He also folds out all flush draws other than Kxhh
  • edited September 2012
    I think turn is ok if you intend emptying clip on a lot of rivers. I fire river bigger