You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River bet sizing with nuts in limped pot?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Have an old note that opponent isn't v good.

That's all I've got to go on, I spose it means he's capable of making mistakes on the end here!

How big would you go?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxx Small blind £0.20 £0.20 £38.60
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.40 £0.60 £106.28
 Your hole cards

IDONKCALLU Fold     
johnnyd117 Fold     
kidwiz10 Fold     
xxx Call  £0.20 £0.80 £38.40
DOHHHHHHH Check     
Flop

xxxBet  £0.40 £1.20 £38.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.40 £1.60 £105.88
Turn

xxxBet  £0.80 £2.40 £37.20
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.20 £5.60 £102.68
xxx Call  £2.40 £8.00 £34.80
River

xxx Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet

Comments

• edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012

the river would scare me if i was your oppo, but he may have a 9. If he's got nowt hes probably not calling anyway, so pray he has 5 7 or A9 and bet the pot

• edited September 2012
    Not a fan of betting pot here. Raise big on turn, then pot the river just shows great strength. I'd rather bet between 5.50/6.50 to try and get called by A6/56 etc. Alternatively, if you think your opponent is poor and will call light, then try overbetting it. Make it like £12, but obv this is really player dependant. Personally, I'd go 3/4 to about £6, get thos weaker holdings to call
  • edited September 2012

I put him all in.
    9 times out of 10 he folds but the one time he calls makes this a profitable play.
    If he has nothing he folds to any bet.
    If he has a 9 or a straight he is as likely to call an all in bet as he is a pot size bet.
    Also at these stakes players call, they hate to feel they've been bluffed and he could convince himself that the all on is a bluff.
  • edited September 2012
    I wouldn't like overbetting here, especially all-in. Range-balancing is impossible if you do this with the nuts, unless you're also shoving with your bluffs... which seems unlikely.

I'd probably bet about 3/4 pot. I just wouldn't like betting anything outside my usually betting range, so if you'd bet full-pot for value here with an overpair or as a bluff, then that's fine.
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: River bet sizing with nuts in limped pot?:
    I wouldn't like overbetting here, especially all-in. Range-balancing is impossible if you do this with the nuts, unless you're also shoving with your bluffs... which seems unlikely. I'd probably bet about 3/4 pot. I just wouldn't like betting anything outside my usually betting range, so if you'd bet full-pot for value here with an overpair or as a bluff, then that's fine.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanx for replies, I didn't expect so many different opinions.

Just wanna ask about the highlighted bit. 

I keep reading different stuff on this forum about balancing ranges. Some people always talk about doing it others say we don't need to be balanced....

Are there spots where balancing ranges is more important than others? And is this one?
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: River bet sizing with nuts in limped pot? : Thanx for replies, I didn't expect so many different opinions. Just wanna ask about the highlighted bit.  I keep reading different stuff on this forum about balancing ranges. Some people always talk about doing it others say we don't need to be balanced.... Are there spots where balancing ranges is more important than others? And is this one?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Surely it's only worth considering you should balance if your oppo is good thinking player and you want to remain unpredictable
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: River bet sizing with nuts in limped pot? : Thanx for replies, I didn't expect so many different opinions. Just wanna ask about the highlighted bit.  I keep reading different stuff on this forum about balancing ranges. Some people always talk about doing it others say we don't need to be balanced.... Are there spots where balancing ranges is more important than others? And is this one?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Alot of people think you don't need to balance at NL4... they're probably right.

If players are paying attention and you value-shove with the nuts, heavily over-betting the pot, they will remember that. When you do it you're polarising your range but if you never do it as a bluff then you're polarising your range to only massive hands and they'll never call without the nuts. Would you ever shove like this with just one-pair?

If you remember doing this to someone and being paid off, that can mean it makes sense to over-shove as a bluff in future... but that seems a bit excessive. On the other hand, on the occasions that you don't shove, your opponents will "know" that you don't have a monster hand.

It's much easier to just have a range of bet sizes which you use regularly with big hands, middling hands and bluffs. It makes your opponents more predictable too, as you don't have to worry about which crazy bets they've seen you make and how they'll now perceive your bets in the current hand.

I don't know how important this all is. It sounds important, though. ;)

I don't think anyone should listen to my advice at the moment. I've been getting crushed by every man and his dog lately. Playing terribly. Maybe I'm a fish. :(