You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bank Roll Management - it's the mutts nuts

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
I've always known, and always said that good bankroll management is crucial to sustainable poker playing, but I've never actually stuck to it. Always given in to the temptation to play the main and then bricking it on every major decision due to the 'gotta cash' situation I put myself in. Cue going busto time and again with regular reloads.

No more say I. Reloaded on Sep 10th with the commitment to play at a level affordable to that roll, which for me is the mini and the 20:05 £2 BH, NL4 & £3 DYMs, and the change is amazing.

Because it's not a big deal if you lose a given tournament, you can play in a much more relaxed frame of mind. If you think you have a read on a situation you can risk your chips on it because it's not the end of the world if you lose. 2 weeks later im sitting on £597 thanks to a couple of good cashes and running well on DYMs and cash.

My main worry now is another weakness i've had in the past, which is donking off my roll whilst drunk. I really really need to not do this, either by pressing the cool down button on my way out, or by sticking to really cheap poker when I fancy a go when i get back in.

The main thing I am noticing is that I am still playing poker later and later at night, rather than busting out of tournaments early. It's true what they say that scared money never wins.

*Steps off soapbox*

Comments