You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

dongle capacity

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
 Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone can help me, as my grasp of technology is slippery at best. I am moving temporarily to a place with no broadband (not middle earth) . . and was wondering if using a dongle on my PC would provide enough data to allow me to play poker for a good few hours everyday?  Or would it work out ridiculously expensive . . . .

Would appreciate any advice/help or ideas

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Jules (Seadragon)

Comments

• edited September 2012
    hi seadragon-- you can play poker and watch a bit of youtube ect with a 15gb monthly allowance---5gb allowance-- poker only

ps-- Whatever you do-- don't go on roaming!---- ( the record roaming bill is 3.5 million)

pps--don't go over your allowance either because most start to charge you mental!
  • edited September 2012
    hi oynutter

Thanks for that . . . 3.5 million a bit steep!!

Appreciate your help, thanks for that

Cheers

Seadragon

In Response to Re: dongle capacity:
    hi seadragon-- you can play poker and watch a bit of youtube ect with a 15gb monthly allowance---5gb allowance-- poker only  ps-- Whatever you do-- don't go on roaming!---- ( the record roaming bill is 3.5 million) pps--don't go over your allowance either because most start to charge you mental!
    Posted by oynutter
  • edited September 2012
    lol--- some donglebrain gave his sim card to a geezer in Pakistan and a few months later the bill was 3.5m--- But hundreds of people have had 50.000 plus bills--- some companies charge 10 quid per mb roaming== 4000 quid to download a film--lol
  • edited September 2012
    I used to play on a dongle and sometimes had problems sometimes not depending on hotel i was in. Before committing to a contract you really do need to try and see if you can borrow one on different networks to see whats best where you are. Dont just go with what the adverts/phone sites say. Mate had 02 and was struggling so lent him my sim which was T mobile and it was faster than his old cable so see if you can try dif networks. I was streaming music and playing for hours every day in hotel and never came near busting 1G which was costing less than 10 a month on contract. hope this helps
  • edited September 2012
    I've found that playing poker doesn't use too much data. 5GB a month should be fine to play a couple hours most days a month. Just don't watch films/youtube vids.

Although using a dongle to play sky poker is not recommended, you will be constantly disconnected!
  • edited September 2012
    I'd recomend T-Mobile, it's £15 a month (or £30 first 3) on a free-rolling basis. They don't have a data cap just a 'fair usage' policy of 1GB/month. Most importantdly though once you reach this limit, while they may restrict or cut-off access to high bandwidth sites like Youtube, it doesn't affect poker sites and allow you ro continue to use.
  • edited September 2012
    I would recommend using Three you can get 10gb a month for £15 payable by direct debit, I remember Machka posted once that one table uses about 12mb an hour and then slightly less for each additional table after that ....mine would cope with 3 tables ok
  • edited September 2012
    hi guys

Thanks for all the advice . . . . i realise if i can't play poker everyday i would feel bit lost! . . don't know what that says about me!

maybe just that i love the game.

thanks guys

Jules  (seadragon)