You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The art of grinding, what do people do?

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
I've looked around the internet for examples of what people do whilst grinding but would be interested in the response on here. I'm mainly looking at the response from the high volume cash players (any level).

For example you are grinding 8-10 cash tables do you just focus entirely on them or have you got the radio on? Music? A film? TV? Iplayer etc? Do having these small distratcions give us a positive edge or negative, the reason I ask is that I need some sort of distraction when I'm playing for more than an hour really and I'd be intrigued as to what others do or need to do?

How long do we think a premium session of 8 tables should last as well? 

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Without music you are likely to send yourself mad with boredom. As long as its not too aggressive or too sombre, I doubt there are any negatives...
  • edited September 2012
    listening to incubus while grinding is a guarateed run good. Hate watching anything while I'm playing - unless I'm just chilling with a couple of mtts. When I play cash I always listen to music. 
  • edited September 2012
    I only play 4-5 tables.   Will always be watching TV while playing. If it's something i really want to watch, will only play 2 tables.
    I can only play 1-2 hours without a break, then need a 20 min break or so.

No idea how people play 5-8 hour sessions !  Sicko's
  • edited September 2012
    1-2 tables - watch TV, cook, chat etc..
    3 tables - watch tv & chat
    6 tables - watch a little tv & a lttle snippet of chat
    9 tables - do nothing else, maybe some music but feel this really affects your mood and the way you play !
    12 tables - stare at the screen
    16 tables - stare at the screen more
    20 tables - have lots of haribos and start flying around the room !
  • edited September 2012
    I usually play 6tables and will always have the TV or a film on in the background (which I know is really bad). My sessions are generally between 1 and 3 hours... I can generally tell when I'm getting towards the end of 3 hours and I realise I'm just clicking buttons and not really thinking 100% about why I'm doing it, that it's a good time to stop lol.
  • edited September 2012

i-2 tables fall asleep
    3-4 tables start waking up
    4-6 tables put corrie on
    6-8 tables switch corrie off
    8-10 tables music goes on
    10-12 tables music gets louder
    12-18 tables in the zone now

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • zzrzzr
    edited September 2012
    I really don't know how you players do it. RESPECT.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: The art of grinding, what do people do?:
    1-2 tables - watch TV, cook, chat etc.. 3 tables - watch tv & chat 6 tables - watch a little tv & a lttle snippet of chat 9 tables - do nothing else, maybe some music but feel this really affects your mood and the way you play ! 12 tables - stare at the screen 16 tables - stare at the screen more 20 tables - have lots of haribos and start flying around the room !
    Posted by rancid
    lollll
  • edited September 2012
    Decent music (no chart s***), good heaphones and loud........ very loud!

• edited September 2012
    Cheers for responses so far. Music seems the favoured option. TV and films likely to be a negative rather than positive do we feel or?

I personally enjoy music while I play but think TV and films help also, as long as I don't pay attention, but haven't had as much experience as others playing 8-10 tables so keen to get their views...
  • edited September 2012
    headphones late at nite playing music in the one cant beat it :)
  • edited September 2012
    why don't you just do whatever you want and if it's not working, change it. you have to try it for yourself and then ask whether it's affecting you
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: The art of grinding, what do people do?:
    Cheers for responses so far. Music seems the favoured option. TV and films likely to be a negative rather than positive do we feel or? I personally enjoy music while I play but think TV and films help also, as long as I don't pay attention, but haven't had as much experience as others playing 8-10 tables so keen to get their views...
    Posted by KING2600
    seriously KING

i used to play up to 6 tables and watch tv at the same time,comfortably
    once i got to 8/9 than i had to switch off the tv.
    i now like to listen to music pretty much all the time when playing,except if i am having a tough night i might switch it off and put in all my concentration into trying to grind as much back as possible.
    i also regardless of winning or losing at the time, try to finish every session i play as strongly as i can,as this will maximise my winnings and reduce my losses.
    even though i am now basically a DYM grinder,i would still recommend all players to at least try and do this.

gl buddy
    :)
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    Normally on 4 tables sometimes 5 but miss stuff if doing more than that. Don't know if that's because I play cash apart from my£2 Omaha h/l dym.sit beside her whilst she watches lady telly but banned eastenders because the half hour of arguing from the telly is like something out of Dante's hell to my ears and it's s&@/t
  • edited September 2012
    if im playing over 12 tables then i'll just listen to music. Once i've been playing for more than 3 or 4 hours i'll probably cut down to 6-10 tables and watch tv or films for the last couple of hours.
  • edited September 2012

Tend to have TV with some sort of sport on in background, anything form footie, NFL, Golf or cricket. If not TV its usually TalkSport radio on in the background.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to The art of grinding, what do people do?:
    I've looked around the internet for examples of what people do whilst grinding but would be interested in the response on here. I'm mainly looking at the response from the high volume cash players (any level). For example you are grinding 8-10 cash tables do you just focus entirely on them or have you got the radio on? Music? A film? TV? Iplayer etc? Do having these small distratcions give us a positive edge or negative, the reason I ask is that I need some sort of distraction when I'm playing for more than an hour really and I'd be intrigued as to what others do or need to do? How long do we think a premium session of 8 tables should last as well? 
    Posted by KING2600
    = definate distraction imo (as i frequently find out) films being worse