You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

too tight or just about right?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is a capable opponant only think im beating ak here and he is probs flatting with that utg.
what do we think?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
AJ_Rockets Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £28.95
jig694 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £15.92
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

FlashFlush Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £33.47
cairns01 Fold        
xingma05 Fold        
jams88 Raise   £2.70 £4.05 £35.46
AJ_Rockets Fold        
jig694 Fold        
FlashFlush Raise   £7.50 £11.55 £25.97
jams88 Fold        
FlashFlush Muck        
FlashFlush Win   £5.85   £31.82
FlashFlush Return   £5.70 £0.00 £37.52

Comments

• edited September 2012
    If he's only flatting your 3b with such a tight range just flat pre
    As played yeah I think it's an easy lay down with your reads
  • edited September 2012
    good players won't be flatting 3bets oop with AK very often

anyway, 3betting utg open from good opponent with JJ is pretty marginal, unless you have reads that he likes to call 3bets oop with stuff like 88-TT/ and some SCs
  • edited September 2012
    Flat pre >>> 3b/5b>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3b/f v a good player
  • edited September 2012
    against flashy cant see how your ahead here with jacks i would of just called the original raise tho
  • edited September 2012
    I 3bet to try and assign a more specific range, so i don't end up getting the money in on a 9 high board over 3 streets. making it possible to make this fold pre.

If we flat are we just set mining?

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: too tight or just about right?:
    I 3bet to try and assign a more specific range, so i don't end up getting the money in on a 9 high board over 3 streets. making it possible to make this fold pre. If we flat are we just set mining?
    Posted by jams88
    Don't raise for info.

You don't have to call down 3 streets on a low board. If you do it's v a much wider range

No you are not just set mining if you flat
  • edited September 2012
    I would just call pre mate. Some people say raise to gain information or assign your opponent a more specific range. But this strategy is really sub optimal play. Phil Ivey, or any of the top top players in the world, would never use this strategy By doing this you can get bluffed by weaker hands at will, and lose the set mining value of your hand against stronger hands.
  • edited September 2012
    problem is with this, you could be 3 b/f a lot
    so if you doing this and oppo pick up on this then they will just 4 bet wider

maybe it's not so important on SKY with no HUD but it's worth thinking about

plus JJ never going to stand up well to oppo 4 bet value range from UTG so your just folding out worse where you can just flat and still get value from worse
    Just need to be confident enough not to just set mine and play post flop with JJ

• edited September 2012
    3-betting here is fine if you think he's going to call with alot of his range here. If he's just going to fold everything you beat, then what's the raise doing for you?

I don't think FlashFlush is the type of player to call your 3-bet with a wide range out of position, so if he's either 4-betting or folding you're wasting the value of your JJ. Now you need to think that he might be 4-betting light in order to get value here. Even if he is going to be doing that to you, it's going to put you in a tricky spot and you're going to end up levelling yourself quite a bit... Most of the time I suspect he just folds weaker than JJ and 4-bets or calls with better.

FlashFlush does come on the clinic, by the way. If you play each other regularly I suspect there will be some interesting hands coming up in your future. lol
  • edited September 2012
    5bet shove and I fold.