You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This Sunday's SUPER ROLLER" Thread

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat

Super-Roller.....

Comments

• edited September 2012

Good afternoon.

The £25,000 Guaranteed "SUPER-ROLLER" is this coming Sunday, & much of it will be covered live during the Ch 861 TV Show, except for the later stages beyond Midnight. I believe the Final will be shown on Ch 861 on Tuesday of next week.

A full satellite schedule is now in progress, micro-satellites during the day will run up to a DAILY Semi-Final each evening @ 8.45pm.

This will mean some changes to the existing SPT 6-Max Satellite schedule for this week, which will still have daily micro-sats, but these will run into a Semi-Final on Sunday, & not nightly, to make room for the Super Roller sats. That Sunday evening SPT 6-Max Semi-Final is likely to generate a decent size field, as we expect the Site to be busy on Sunday, plus the micros will be running to it all week.

Any "SUPER ROLLER" questions, fire away on this thread please, & we'll try & field them.

• edited September 2012

When will the poker points for this be added to everyone's account who are playing it? I am guessing when the bubble bursts or when the tournament ends, which in any scenario, will probably be the 1st October.

#thin I am playing brag?  :)

• edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012

Good morning.

Only 26 runners so far - this one needs 250 players to reach it's Guarantee.....

Our Super Roller looks more like this at the moment......

• edited September 2012

Registered so far, & hoping for a huge lump of overlay are......

Aaaces310000
    alandutch10000
    andrew194710000
    bedders00710000
    buhhamanpm10000
    Bulldozer10000
    DEKKER520710000
    Dreamon93010000
    fodwarrior10000
    FORESTUP10000
    fraggs10000
    GELDY10000
    gez_bear10000
    HITMAN_RV10000
    macapaca10000
    MAXALLY10000
    minter12310000
    MRBURNS410000
    MrLaud10000
    petebryn10000
    rossifumi10000
    sammy55010000
    SARB0810000
    subsnw10000
    twitchtwoc10000
    xbizerzx10000
  • edited September 2012

There is a £24 1 in 5 semi-final jobbie at 20.45 tonight.

Today's micro-sat schedule is not up yet, but I'll post details as soon as it is.

As yet, I cannot estimate the winners prize for Sunday's Super Roller, but the Guarantee is £25,000, come what may.

I spoke with Dan the 861 Producer yesterday - he confirmed that the Show on Sunday WILL follow this Tourney, & that the Final will be shown on next Tuesday's Show.

He also hopes to have plenty of live phone-ins during Sunday's Show from those playing it, & a live Phone-In to the Show with the winner next Tuesday.

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: This Sunday's SUPER ROLLER" Thread:
    Will I win?
    Posted by percival09
    On account of not registered to play... I'm gonna say no :)
  • edited September 2012

Today's SUPER ROLLER Satellite schedule is now up.

There are £5.30 jobbies at.....

And the nightly Semi (£24) will be at 20.45. 

It is LIKELY that tonight's Semi will be covered on tonight's Show on Ch 861, or at least the sharp end of it.

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: This Sunday's SUPER ROLLER" Thread : On account of not registered to play... I'm gonna say no :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Fair point haha.

Going to try and sat in so I can regret not taking the cash when I bust in 200th
  • edited September 2012

Any "SUPER ROLLER" questions, fire away on this thread please, & we'll try & field them. 

Question has been asked. I have albeit possibly answered it myself, but would like an official answer to it please.
  • edited September 2012
    Any "SUPER ROLLER" questions, fire away on this thread please, & we'll try & field them.   Question has been asked. I have albeit possibly answered it myself, but would like an official answer to it please.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Sorry Alan, I had assumed the question was rhetorical or whimsical, under guise of the thinnest of brags - sorry.

When will the poker points be added? After the Tourney ends, I would asssume, so that will be around 2am or 3am on Monday.
  • edited September 2012
    Super-Roller.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    They see me rollin'... they hatin'...
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: This Sunday's SUPER ROLLER" Thread : Sorry Alan, I had assumed the question was rhetorical or whimsical, under guise of the thinnest of brags - sorry .   When will the poker points be added? After the Tourney ends, I would asssume, so that will be around 2am or 3am on Monday.
    Posted by Tikay10

TY.
  • edited September 2012

Morning.

I'm pleased to inform you that after I started this thread on Monday, & sweated it yesterday, the effect has been startling.

Yesterday we only had 26 runners, but my efforts have resulted in the number registered shooting up to.....28. Incred.

The dynamics of these things are quite interesting if you are on this side of the table.

Ladt month, the Guarantee was £20,000, so we needed 200 runners. I don't recall the exact number, but I think that on the Saturday or Sunday morning we only had around 73. 

I won't say there was not a tinsy-winsy bit of concern in the office.....

Anyway, it was sweated hard all weekend, & ended up not only getting the 200 needed - it got 262 I seem to recall, which was astonishing.

So the same MAY happen this weekend. Or may not......

If any of you can imagine swapping roles, & being THIS side of the Table sometimes, it is just as scary, exciting & exhilarating as being a player.

The business takes a view, & sticks up a Guarantee on best available market information. Get it right, & everyone's a winner. Get it wrong, & miss the Guarantee by, say, £5,000, & there is a serious post-mortem.

Say it quickly, & often enough, & "£5,000" does not sound much, especially in the world of poker. But it is real money, & it IS a lot.

I fancy Sunday will be a sweaty day in Leeds.....

Meanwhile, news follows in the next Post about more & different satellites, starting today....

Everything is going to plan. Ish. Probably.  

Meanwhile, what is our SUPER ROLLER looking like today? 

AWESOME.

• edited September 2012

The SUPER ROLLER sats have been changed from today. Wider wheels, flared arches, tinted windscreen, that sort of thing.

The revised Satellite schedule starts today, & will remain mostly unchanged until & including, Saturday. I wuold imagine it will change & be revved up even more on Sunday.

For now though.....

• edited September 2012

Tonight, & every night until & including Saturday, there will be.....

A SUPER ROLLER SUPER-SAT at 8.30pm.

A SUPER ROLLER SUPER-SAT @ 9.30pm.

Entry free? £6.

How many runners? CAPPED at 40.

Seats to be won? TWO.

GUARANTEED.

No matter how few runners, TWO SEATS GUARANTEED.

Entry Cost SIX QUID.

As always, T & C's apply, & if these were to only attract 4 or 5 runners, they will be discontinued.

• edited September 2012

.....but there's moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

8.45pm - ALL-IN SAT SUPER ROLLER SAT.

9.15pm - ALL-IN SUPER ROLLER SAT.

Cost? £6.

Seats Guaranteeed in each of these? TWO.

• edited September 2012
    Lets extend the fields and lower the buy ins to sat in for the more cheapish person :X :X :X

• edited September 2012
    Morning. I'm pleased to inform you that after I started this thread on Monday, & sweated it yesterday, the effect has been startling. Yesterday we only had 26 runners, but my efforts have resulted in the number registered shooting up to.....28. Incred. The dynamics of these things are quite interesting if you are on this side of the table. Ladt month, the Guarantee was £20,000, so we needed 200 runners. I don't recall the exact number, but I think that on the Saturday or Sunday morning we only had around 73.  I won't say there was not a tinsy-winsy bit of concern in the office..... Anyway, it was sweated hard all weekend, & ended up not only getting the 200 needed - it got 262 I seem to recall, which was astonishing. So the same MAY happen this weekend. Or may not...... If any of you can imagine swapping roles, & being THIS side of the Table sometimes, it is just as scary, exciting & exhilarating as being a player. The business takes a view, & sticks up a Guarantee on best available market information. Get it right, & everyone's a winner. Get it wrong, & miss the Guarantee by, say, £5,000, & there is a serious post-mortem. Say it quickly, & often enough, & "£5,000" does not sound much, especially in the world of poker. But it is real money, & it IS a lot. I fancy Sunday will be a sweaty day in Leeds..... Meanwhile, news follows in the next Post about more & different satellites, starting today.... Everything is going to plan. Ish. Probably.   Meanwhile, what is our SUPER ROLLER looking like today?  AWESOME.  
    Posted by Tikay10

I like it when you insight some of your industry / behind the scenes knowledge & this is a really interesting post, it’s also very honest.. perhaps a little too honest.

I feel as a poker site it is paramount to portray solidarity and wealth in order to attract players and encourage player confidence, perhaps the best at this was FTP, albeit that this is all they were good for :-/

I mean in times of financial ruin they still managed to keep all but the skeptical players depositing at will. Right up to the point of collapse.

Not to say that Skypoker should look to copy FTP’s model, far from it, but it is important to portray a robust and stable business regardless of what is going on behind the scenes.

I’ll be honest, in reading the above, it doesn’t emit an impression of affluence within the site.  However it is good to see that Skypoker are pushing to make the Skyroller a real flagship tournament, it surpassed the guarantee last time and you have increased it straight away, this is good to see sky take a gamble. Hopefully heading into the winter months they will continue to add to the guarantee, eventually offering the Primo alongside it rather than in place of.. I think the one thing sky does miss is the ability to grind mtt’s of any particular level. The WCOOP is a good example of how an mtt series can generate action all over the site, any time the wcoop is on, the cash games are 3 times as active at all levels and the buzz on the site is intense.

FWIW I think the guarantee will be surpassed in the roller again, I’m sure a lot of players just reg on the day and will be UK regs playing alongside the Sunday grind on other sites.

Looking forward to it and good to see skypoker trying to grow! 

• edited September 2012
    Random comment....Dont ya think for big events like the super roller and mains it would be a good idea to include all the upcoming satellites on the lobby of the tourney??
  • edited September 2012

Very interesting Post, Pr1.

Too honest? I don't think anyone CAN be too honest, but I take your point.

However, I don't think - I may be wrong - it demonstrates any lack of stability or robustness by the Site, not at all. Personally, I think the more of this sort of stuff we share, the better it is for all.

I can only assume you are alluding to the concern of the business not to give away huge chunks of overlay. I can't think why a well-managed business would NOT concern itself with such things.  You use the name FTP a few times - well clearly they never worried about such matters, but they were not operating within the law, & not part of a PLC with a very strong & valuable brand. We are, so everything has to be squeaky clean, obviously, but more important, the financial side of the business has to be managed with skill, & care.

"Overlay" is known within the business as "subsidy". Subsidy is a BAD thing, a dirty word. It comes off the bottom line, no caveats.

Overlay by £5,000, & that money has to be earned first, given away, earned again to stand still, then earned yet again to be viable.

Imagine £1,000 of subsidy every night. That is £7,000 per week. £350,000 per year. That is a lump of money to ANY business, especially as it has no payback. 

And we do have subsidy, & plenty of it. But it is strategic, & controlled. That is the key to giving away money.....

I won't & must not go into details, but you would be astonished at how many different parameters & KPI's the business uses. Every Friday morning, all of these are published internally for the previous week, which ends at Midnight on the Thursday, so within hours of the "week end". (In fact, they are published daily, @ 9am, but only summarised once a week). There are, literally, hundreds of graphs, & thousands of lines of analysis. Every single nut & bolt of the business is analysed, every buy-in level, every format, new players, re-activates, MPU, MPD, UPD, CPA, Subs, VLW, VLY, YoY, weather, & this that & the other.

Weather? Yup, weather. Do you know that the business can predict traffic levels to within extremely small tolerances when they know what the weather pattern will be? Or when Champions League Football, or X-Factor or such stuff is on.   

That is not a business which is in any way not robust or stable - quite the opposite.   

I like to try & explain these things, but if a danger exists that they will be misinterpreted, or twisted, or taken out of context, then I guess I'll have to cease doing it. Personally, I think that would be a shame. 

I'll reply to the other stuff seperately, if I may.   
  • edited September 2012
    Random comment....Dont ya think for big events like the super roller and mains it would be a good idea to include all the upcoming satellites on the lobby of the tourney??
    Posted by BigHawk89

Morning Hawky,

It would be nice, yes, but for technical reasons - mainly the sheer number of sats, lack of space in the lobby, & need for the satellite schedule to be dynamic, it is not really viable I'm afraid.

They would have to change the blurb every time the schedule changes, which would mean the tail would wag the dog, & the changes not happen because of the Admin time that accompanies them, relative to a very small gain in exposure.

• edited September 2012

Going back to Mr PR1's Post.

You will see the Tourney Guarantees growing, bigger prize pools, & ROLLERS & UKOPS stuff, as well as a new Cash Promotion. Some of these wil be announced later this week.....the planning & flow of new promotions is relentless, & non-stop. The duck might seem to be serenely floating along on the top of the water, but look underneath, & his little legs are paddling along 15 to the dozen. ;) 

It's late Autumn, this is the Online Poker Season starting it's winter period, when the business really gets active.

It will continue that way until Easter, with a peak at Christmas, & if & when real bad weather comes along.

Next spring, it will then face the annual summer lull.

It always was, & always will be, that way.

What the business has to do is navigate round those things. It cannot change them, only mitigate against the quiet seasons, & become more active in the busy seasons.

The suggestion that the business is "not affluent" is a bit odd really. The BSKYB Group publishes annual accounts, & from those it can be seen that SB&G had another incredible year, thanks to, amongst other things, an incredibly loyal Client-base.  

It plans to repeat that in the 12/13 FY.     
  • edited September 2012
    Cheers Tikay,

You're a guru.. 

I get what your saying, i like sky, i like what the offer and i will hopefully contribute to future success of the site. 

Don't cease posting such detail on my account, i think it's needed discussion. The ability to converse with a representative of a poker site is a luxury in itself and at no point could anybody EVER question sky over any other site when it comes to credibility / ethics / adaption. 

Anyway back to sky roller i expect it to hit 290 runners. A really good prizepool. Good luck to everyone then. 
  • edited September 2012
    Cheers Tikay, You're a guru..  I get what your saying, i like sky, i like what the offer and i will hopefully contribute to future success of the site.  Don't cease posting such detail on my account, i think it's needed discussion. The ability to converse with a representative of a poker site is a luxury in itself and at no point could anybody EVER question sky over any other site when it comes to credibility / ethics / adaption.  Anyway back to sky roller i expect it to hit 290 runners. A really good prizepool. Good luck to everyone then. 
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Well I would LIKE to discuss this sort of stuff openly, I think it is good for both sides of the Table, but I have to be very careful, if it is going to be decontextualised, then I'll have to stop, which would be a shame imo. I'll be honest, your Post has spooked me a bit.

"Mums the word" in future, I guess.

290 runners for the SUPER ROLLER this Sunday?

Ooh, that would be something.

Right now, I'd settle for 250.

On the last Sunday Roller, we (the Staff) were all in touch with each other all day & evening, monitoring progress & registrations. Once we "got over the line", there was a bity of whooping & hollering, "happy days, YES, we set an ambitious target & GOT THERE".

If I recall correctly, we got over the line before it started, then Late Reg showed his face & we got a bunch more.

Don't underestimate the excitement we in the business all feel, too, the Staff in Leeds, the TV Channel, right down to the water-carrier (that's me), everyone gets revved up by these things.

The Summer can be a bit glum for Online Poker, whatever happens it is tough to get the numbers up, but now the leaves on the trees are turning golden, it's all excitement, hustle & bustle. Best time of the year.     
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: This Sunday's SUPER ROLLER" Thread : I like it when you insight some of your industry / behind the scenes knowledge & this is a really interesting post, it’s also very honest.. perhaps a little too honest.    I feel as a poker site it is paramount to portray solidarity and wealth in order to attract players and encourage player confidence, perhaps the best at this was FTP, albeit that this is all they were good for :-/ I mean in times of financial ruin they still managed to keep all but the skeptical players depositing at will. Right up to the point of collapse.   Not to say that Skypoker should look to copy FTP’s model, far from it, but it is important to portray a robust and stable business regardless of what is going on behind the scenes.   I’ll be honest, in reading the above, it doesn’t emit an impression of affluence within the site.  However it is good to see that Skypoker are pushing to make the Skyroller a real flagship tournament, it surpassed the guarantee last time and you have increased it straight away, this is good to see sky take a gamble. Hopefully heading into the winter months they will continue to add to the guarantee, eventually offering the Primo alongside it rather than in place of.. I think the one thing sky does miss is the ability to grind mtt’s of any particular level. The WCOOP is a good example of how an mtt series can generate action all over the site, any time the wcoop is on, the cash games are 3 times as active at all levels and the buzz on the site is intense.   FWIW I think the guarantee will be surpassed in the roller again, I’m sure a lot of players just reg on the day and will be UK regs playing alongside the Sunday grind on other sites.   Looking forward to it and good to see skypoker trying to grow! 
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Morning again Mr Pr1.

I don't know why, but I had a "light bulb" moment about that Post, & my reply, overnight.

When these Guarantees are set outside the norm, & fairly big, of course the business does not want to set fire to a few grand, that would be crazy.

But the REAL reason we all get nervous & excited is because we want to get it right. Get it wrong, & the ego takes a dent, & as you know, we get reminded pretty sharpish when we do!

Professional pride is a good thing. We want to get "the line" right, as often as we can.
  • edited September 2012

The numbers edged up from 28 to 40 yesterday, aided by the revised Satellite sructure.

Yesterday's Satellite schedule will remain UNCHANGED today.

They all did pretty well except the ALL-IN Sats, which struggled a bit, so unless numbers pick up today, they may reduce to just one tomorrow.

Here's the current field....

Aaaces310000
    AB015110000
    alandutch10000
    ATOMANT5510000
    bedders00710000
    bubble110000
    buhhamanpm10000
    Bulldozer10000
    dannyhac2110000
    DASADAWN110000
    DEKKER520710000
    destructor10000
    Dreamon93010000
    fodwarrior10000
    FORESTUP10000
    fraggs10000
    gadgerno110000
    GELDY10000
    gez_bear10000
    hhyftrftdr10000
    HITMAN_RV10000
    joe75901710000
    kimpet10000
    littlewo0310000
    macapaca10000
    MAXALLY10000
    minter12310000
    MRBURNS410000
    MrLaud10000
    petebryn10000
    RLW10000
    rosjim110000
    rossifumi10000
    sammy55010000
    sara36dd0810000
    SARB0810000
    subsnw10000
    SUPERSNEDD10000
    twitchtwoc10000
    xbizerzx10000
  • edited September 2012

There are TWO of those "ALL-IN" satellites scheduled for tonight, & although they did not do as well as hoped last night, both will run tonight, come what may, as players are already registered for both.

Which is a hint, as there MAY be some overlay........

• edited September 2012

A good clean & she'll be just fine......

• edited September 2012
    INteresting thread - How about a competition? - e.g. at what time will the super roller finish? (I did think about no. of runners, but that restricts numbers a bit)   Stimulate interest, small prize, (e.g. Entry into DTD next Monday) happy days!  Oh, and it keeps thread on front page.  ;-)