You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £237.88

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Good luck Kirbs, we all know you can do it, solid player that you are :)
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £26.45:
    Good luck Kirbs, we all know you can do it, solid player that you are :)
    Posted by spurs_13
    Thanks mate appreciate the positive words : -)

Seeing as the other half is in bed thought I'd get a small session in on the heads up SNGs, £10 up so far going to play for another hour then hit the sack will post another update in the morning
  • edited September 2012
    Well that small session last night turned out to be a rather profitable one and I intend to do the same this evening.

Played a few micro stakes cash games both 6max and HU as well as a couple of HU SnGs.
    Managed to pick up the roll slightly and am now at the point where I would be comfortable playing a few low buy in MTTs. 

I think the best MTTs to play will be the £25 gtd or the £50 gtd speed games. Both have a low buy in of £1.10 and both are rebuys. I have no intention of buying in more than once but the players tend to play overly aggressive in these low stakes rebuys and as such the prize pools can build quite quickly and afford a great ROI if you are to cash.i have managed to cash 4 out of my last 6 of these prior to the start of this challenge and think these could provide a nice contribution to the bankroll.

Gl all and see you at the tables this evening

Current balance: £50.05
  • edited September 2012
    Played a small lunch time session and ended up £7.70 in profit

Current balance: £57.75
  • edited September 2012
    Hd intended to have a decent session tonight, however, been invited out for a few beers and to be honest I think it will do me some good.

Managed a couple of cashes anyway for £3.80

Current balance £60.55
  • edited September 2012
    good luck m8t great read
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £50.05:
    Well that small session last night turned out to be a rather profitable one and I intend to do the same this evening. Played a few micro stakes cash games both 6max and HU as well as a couple of HU SnGs. Managed to pick up the roll slightly and am now at the point where I would be comfortable playing a few low buy in MTTs.  I think the best MTTs to play will be the £25 gtd or the £50 gtd speed games. Both have a low buy in of £1.10 and both are rebuys. I have no intention of buying in more than once but the players tend to play overly aggressive in these low stakes rebuys and as such the prize pools can build quite quickly and afford a great ROI if you are to cash.i have managed to cash 4 out of my last 6 of these prior to the start of this challenge and think these could provide a nice contribution to the bankroll. Gl all and see you at the tables this evening Current balance: £50.05
    Posted by kirbsuk83
    Definately this Kirb its how i have started with low br and you would be surprised how quick the little wins bump up your roll. The Rebuy games players are uber loose so play tight and you can get a lot of double ups and in doing so they rebuy and build the prize fun. When ive played them they constantly are around £30-50 prize fund which is great ROI on a quid. Its a little bit harder now with the late reg so you do get more runners where as before it only made about 20 runners now its more like 30-40. Still doable though. And not much risk to your br. Wd so far bud keep up the good work.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £60.55:
    good luck m8t great read
    Posted by cinnanati
    Thanks mate, appreciate you taking the time to read.
    Fortunately my head isn't to fuzzy this morning after a few too many last night and have managed to squeeze a small session in this morning for a small £5.75 profit but every little helps I suppose.

I think the key to getting moving in this challenge is volume at this stage, unfortunately I haven't really had the time over the last few days to get some momentum but hopefully that will change this evening. 

In response to Dazler your right about the looseness of those tourneys, I think if you stick to solid ABC poker and wait for your premium hands, especially in the early stages then it really is easy pickings. I never really understood why so few players played those particular games with such a good ROI and time wise they are pretty short and sweet offering a good return on your time invested.

It would be nice if I could run like you are at the mo Dazler ... I have a,feeling you might hit the £1k mark this weekend if you keep running good. My goal for this week is to hit the £100 milestone by Sunday (1 week into the challenge), then I just need to do the same again 99 times over lol ...when I put it like that it sounds so easy :-)

Current balance £66.30

• edited September 2012
    great stuff kirbs keep it going m8 well done
  • edited September 2012
    Excellent work Sir....

These diaries are an absolute inspiration for new poker players like myself, getting different ideas on managing BRM and ways to improve it without taking silly risks, along with the a true reality of how things will go up and down along the way.

I get tired of hearing all the negatives about software, bad beats and every other reason under the sun that causes us to lose where the reality is that most losses are a result of our own actions (i too have done all that moaning and plan to stop lol)

Thanks for taking time out to share your thoughts and progress with us, keep up the good work mate, i'll be watching with much interest

• edited September 2012
    Strange day for me today up and down like a yo yo

The afternoon started well with some heads up cash a few small wins here and there on the low stakes resulted in me being around 10 buyins up at 10nl, I then took a small punt at 20nl heads up and had a fantastic run against one guy that resulted in me getting a further 5 buyins up from that .... All in all this resulted in me being just shy of £230 up from cash...then...it happened...AGAIN!!!

The tilt monster inside me resurfaced and I proceeded to lose around £130+ on HU SNGs... I need to get a grip of this now at a crucial point in the challenge while I have a decent roll to play with...but everyday is a school day and will try and learn from this self inflicted lesson.

I then played a few MTTs ... This resulted in a qualification for the roller semi in about 30 mins time and a respectable 5th place finish in the £400 gtd rebuy.

More to follow this evening and hopefully I can recoup the loss from SNGs earlier by playing constantly within my roll. Anyway despite the donk session I am still up a fair bit for the day and have passed the £100 mark.

Current balance: £127.55

• edited September 2012
    and just satted into the super roller tomorrow too what a result :-)
  • edited September 2012
    Great stuff Kirbs - Keep focused on that winners tilt thing. Its something i have suffered with very early in my poker journey and totally relate to it now although it is indeed a hard habit to break :)
  • edited September 2012
    good read this kirbs m8....gl pal
  • edited September 2012
    Ty peeps,

Managed to play some more heads up cash which is where I seem to be most profitable and walked away £70 up

Not a bad days work tbh but earlyish night for me now ready for the roller tomorrow, will probs play the super stack too as its very sociable with many of my team mates and the regs on there too.

Current balance: £195.45
  • edited September 2012
    Well Done

Stick at it m8 - you're doin well.

Good Luck
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £195.75:
    Well Done Stick at it m8 - you're doin well. Good Luck
    Posted by POKERTREV
    wow kirb thats outstanding work m8, really glad to see its going well. Its such a great feeling when you do it from nowt aint it. And proves it can be done. Wd on your roller seat for tommorow i did try and sat in got close a few times but didnt manage it. I really hope you win it or cash decent imagine that as a rags to riches story. How have you bumped it up to 195 was that purley on hu cash?
  • edited September 2012
    wd kirbs keep it going m8 great stuff,gl in the roller 2.i play alot of sit and go hu and make my little profit from them, as long as you stick to what ya playing.dont b tempted 2 go to the higher stakes gl and well done keep it up m8.
  • edited September 2012
    Excellent work so far mate, keep it up.

BRM has never been one of my strongpoints and I see no problem taking a punt at a higher level if you think u have an edge, im not suggesting putting it all on one table of course. Set yourself a stop loss limit i.e if you lose say 20quid walk away. Never chase losses, it never works and there is no shame in leaving a table if your losing to a better player, stubbornness at trying to beat specific players has cost me a few quid in the past.

Best of luck in the Roller tonight, I hope you come 2nd... behind me of course :)

• edited September 2012
    Yeah pretty much all HU cash Dazler I would be on £300+ now if I'd got a grip of the tilt monster grrrrr

Small cash in a £200 bh 

kirbsuk8309£9.75 + £16.07 Head Prizes7 
    Was chip leader for ages then burned of a good majority of my stack against the shortie.

Will update the bankroll status etc after I finish this evening and ty steel and Ryan ... I think you will find its my turn to win this months roller Ryan so you will just have to settle for 2nd lol
  • edited September 2012
    Another small cash in a £250 bh

kirbsuk8309£9.70 + £6.61 Head Prizes2 
    Roller starts in 45 mins got coffee on the pot, pizza ordered and a 20 deck of lambert and butler so I'm primed and ready to go lol

Gl at the tables tonight all will update here after the roller 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Freeroll to fortune...yes, yet another progress diary. Current balance: £195.75:
    Another small cash in a £250 bh kirbsuk83 0 9 £9.70 + £6.61 Head Prizes 2   Roller starts in 45 mins got coffee on the pot, pizza ordered and a 20 deck of lambert and butler so I'm primed and ready to go lol Gl at the tables tonight all will update here after the roller 
    Posted by kirbsuk83
    gl tonight kirb in the roller im in too :)
  • edited September 2012
    ah nice one m8 ty ...managed to satt in then?
  • edited September 2012
    ah nice one m8 ty ...managed to satt in then?
    Posted by kirbsuk83
    yea played the £24 one i did do about 5 of the all in ones and best i got in them was 6th and forgot to de-reg for one of them so wasted a pound lol so total it cost was about 30
  • edited September 2012
    ah well still cheaper than buying in direct :-)

Out of both the roller and min ...sigh not my night
  • edited October 2012
    Ok just a quick update following yesterday.

The roller didn't exactly go as planned. was sitting just above average for the first couple of Hours and all was going well I then hit a couple of coolers and ultimately donked my wayout with the blinds creeping up I shoved my A 10 suited into AK in my defence I had top pair and a flush draw on unfortunately he hit 2 pair on the turn and it was game over.

The mini started off well and I built up a large stack fairly quickly, taking advantage of a few shove monkeys shoving AK or AJ on the turn on a dry board hoping they would hit. My exit hand I don't think I could have played better tbh...me against other big stack at the table I had Kq suited. I raised 3 x bh and got a flat call from guy UTG. Flop left me drawing on a flush and top pair I bet for value and he flats again turn comes a Jack. He bets I flat call it river comes jack of clubs to complete my flush to the king he bets small I put him in knowing he has a J and potentially a fh but from the way he played it I put him on trips. When I see his cards I'm gutted he had hit his quads on the river...sigh oh well these things happen...oh the joys of poker lol

Played a few SNGs and won £25 then proceeded to lose £25 on MTTs 

Profit for the day: £42.13

Current balance: £237.88
  • edited October 2012
    Been a quiet couple of days for me with not much to post really
    A bubble on Monday in a £100 freeroll which was the limit of my play that day.
    This evening was slightly better was running well in the mini until my bullets got cracked by cowboys leaving me with only a couple of bigs to shove with, needless to say I went out the very next hand when the blinds hit me.
    Ran deep in a £2.30 bh only to bubble after chasing an up and down sraight flush draw only to be out flushd.

Going to approach things slightly differently with the king of cash promo going on. I have dusted off my old laptop (normally play on my iPad), In order to multi table and will start grinding in the next day or two starting at nl4.

Also going to be doing a sub challeng. I will be attempting the dym laddering challenge and aim high on that, last couple of times I've hit levels 7 and 8.

No real change to the roll so will update after tomorrow's sessio.

Gl all
  • edited October 2012

V.nice start

I,ll keep an eye out for you on those 25 and 50 gtd rebuys - Only played 2 in last week but got a 1st and 3rd so will probably more of them in the future

Paul

GL with rest of diary

• edited October 2012
    Thanks Paul

The small rebuys can be very profitable as can the freerolls as i just found out lol

3rd in the 7pm £100 freeroll managed to dodge all the donking throughout until i hit the last 3 where i had 2 loose cannons who clearly wernt fussed about making an extra £15 and were shoving with any 2 which ulitmately led to me going out with AK .... hey ho never mind.

I will post a bankroll update later this evening, going to do some crash grinding on nl4 for a bit until the next freeroll at 10pm

gl all

Chris
  • edited October 2012
    small cash this afternoon

not played much last few days but bankroll update and afew other bits and bobs will follow later :)

£50 gtd

kirbsuk8304£15