You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pp, one oppo, one overcard on flop

These situations come up quite frequently for me and I think I am playing them badly. What is the best line to take

e.g.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
luvBWFC Small blind  400.00 400.00 15565.00
BB Big blind  800.00 1200.00 9686.00
  Your hole cards

UTG Fold     
S1Fold     
S2 Fold     
luvBWFC Raise  2000.00 3200.00 13565.00
BB Call  1600.00 4800.00 8086.00
Flop

• Q

Comments

• edited September 2012
    in this case is it just a shove pre because of blinds and stack sizes?
  • edited September 2012
    I wouldn't make a 3x raise pre-flop here. I'd much rather make it a min-raise to give my opponent a better chance to call and the illusion of having some fold equity if he shoves. By making it 3x, it's less likely that he either calls or shoves. Alternatively, if we'd be shoving here with a wide range and he's aware of that, then shove.

Once you get to the flop, I don't think you should shove. You might be called by 99 or worse but those probably 3-bet shove pre-flop, so you're likely to only be called by better than your TT. I'd much prefer betting small with the intention of calling a shove. Your opponent might shove this flop with air unless your image is that of a really tight player. Most of the time he'll fold and some of the time he'll have the Queen... I don't think you can ever fold, though, with the pot odds you'll be getting.

You could check the flop. That might be best, come to think of it. If he bets the flop, you can't fold. If he checks the flop, you can bet most turns.
  • edited September 2012
    1 went 2.5 times rather than 3 bet same again on flop, oppo goes all in and i call in to JQ
    luvBWFC Bet  2400.00 7200.00 11165.00
    BB All-in  8086.00 15286.00 0.00
    luvBWFC Call  5686.00 20972.00 5479.00
    luvBWFC Show

BB Show
    • Q
    • J

Turn

• K

River

BB Win Pair of Queens 20972.00
  • edited September 2012

I'd probably open shove pre because on here they're more likely to call light than re-shove light.

I don't think they even re-shove anywhere close to a normal range nvm a wider than usual one, they're more likely to call and see a flop so I'm all for shoving.

JQ is a great example of the above ^

Also OP if you're guna post result after 1 reply you might as well put it in OP! Give us a chance! ;)
  • edited September 2012
    I definitely prefer shoving to 3x'ing here.

I do think it's more likely that we get a wide shove if we min-raise than a wide call if we shove. For 13BB, I don't think they'll be calling a shove with a random Kx or QJ, QT, JT even perhaps some low Ax hands. I think they shove with all those hands over a min-raise from the small blind, though. As long as it's not out of character for us. Generally I think players are more likely to 3-bet those than flat a min-raise with this stack... unless we know they're not too experienced.

LuvBWFC I just want to pick you up on this:

"1 went 2.5 times rather than 3 bet same again on flop, oppo goes all in and i call in to JQ"

To clear up some terminology for you: A 3-bet is the third bet. So pre-flop the big blind is the first bet, the opening raise is a 2-bet (though it's never called that) and the re-raise is a 3-bet. You just count the bets, essentially. On the flop there would be a bet (1-bet), a raise (2-bet) and then a 3-bet.
    There was no 3-bet on this flop.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "2.5 times" bit because your flop bet was 3BB.
  • edited September 2012

I wish the history would show the actual total bet size not the increment when you are in the blinds!

• edited September 2012
    prob just shove pre

check flop