You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

this site is f i x e d

edited September 2012 in Area 51

Comments

• edited September 2012

Great to hear tho didn't know it was broken........
  • edited September 2012
    i know a bloke called jim who will fix it!
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d:
       Great to hear tho didn't know it was broken........
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    heheh
  • edited September 2012
    i know a bloke called jim who will fix it!
    Posted by Dazler
    Good luck with that one!!
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to this site is f i x e d:
    because i can't win on here because i'm bad at poker i will blame the site. deffo fixed
    Posted by stewungar
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to this site is f i x e d:
    big fix
    Posted by stewungar

and you and elvis are alive and well?

• edited September 2012
    In Response to this site is f i x e d : and you and elvis are alive and well?
    Posted by aussie09
    Yes but he's all shook up
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to this site is f i x e d : and you and elvis are alive and well?
    Posted by aussie09
    And so is Sir Jimmy Saville apparentely
  • edited September 2012
    yea i have a friend who can contact the spirit world at the local off licence. All you have to say is NOW THEN NOW THEN NOW THEN and he turns up and fixes things. Hes done a great job on my on my kitchen cabinets.
  • edited September 2012
    we need the OP it broke again b4
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to this site is f i x e d :
    Posted by Pipunch
    What if you win on the site and dont agree that its fixed but  also suspect its not random?
  • edited September 2012
    Had a similar arguement with someone about this the other day...

Not random = fixed

You can't say I don't think the results are truly random but I don't think it's rigged lol. They are one in the same.
  • edited September 2012
    Had a similar arguement with someone about this the other day... Not random = fixed You can't say I don't think the results are truly random but I don't think it's rigged lol. They are one in the same.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I think you're right - but what about the fifty shades of grey between these two positions?

How about something like this - let's call it the spectrum of doubt:

Believe it is completely Random . . . . . . . . .Have doubts . . . . . . . . . . . Believe it is rigged

What people believe will be based on their own personal experiences (not necessarily restricted to the online poker experience), and the evidence (or lack of it) that leads them to believe what they do? All heavily biased, of course, by whether they're winners or losers - most of the "it's rigged" contingent, if not all, will be long term losing players. Most of those who believe the integrity of the results are beyond all question, tend to be winning players. There's no "evidence", in the public forum, that lends itself to one end or the other - I doubt anyone has ever played enough hands/games for their advantage/disadvantage to average to their EV, so analysing individual players' results will not be conclusive. Reliance has therefore to be placed on statistical analysis of of the server logs, but in the absence of the methodology of such audits, statements to the effect that the RNG is independently certified for it's integrity carry no more weight as "evidence" that those to the effect of "this, this and this has happened, so it must be rigged".

An interesting consideration to apply to long series of "bad beats" are the two legal tests:

Criminal Law  = "beyond all reasonable doubt"

Civil Law = "on balance of probability"

Is it unreasonable for people to have doubts, where they experience long runs of incredible results (wins or losses)? Possibly you could argue that their doubts are unfounded, but of course, going back to my point above, there's no more evidence to conclude this than there is to conclude anything the other way.

Short anwser is, to my mind, everyone has to decide at what point any doubts they may have should result in them no longer playing. Simples.

• edited September 2012
    Had a similar arguement with someone about this the other day... Not random = fixed You can't say I don't think the results are truly random but I don't think it's rigged lol. They are one in the same.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Disagree completely. Have no idea why you think this
  • edited September 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised if any poker site is rigged. Heck, these are huge money making corprations that want nothing but $$$$$$$$$. Worse things have happened and they'll continue to happen until our society realises. Am I getting too deep? I could talk about sh it like this all day. Anyone wanna have a debate over pms? BRING IT
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : Disagree completely. Have no idea why you think this
    Posted by grantorino
    What I mean is, there are varying degrees of 'riggedness' but it's all rigged.

Like some people say they believe it's rigged in favour of particular players, or rigged in favour of the big stack, the short stack etc etc. Others say that it's not rigged in anyone's favour but is just designed to create action.

But surely anything where the system is deliberately altering what should be a completely random result is the definition of it being rigged??
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : What I mean is, there are varying degrees of 'riggedness' but it's all rigged. Like some people say they believe it's rigged in favour of particular players, or rigged in favour of the big stack, the short stack etc etc. Others say that it's not rigged in anyone's favour but is just designed to create action. But surely anything where the system is deliberately altering what should be a completely random result is the definition of it being rigged??
    Posted by Lambert180
    Makes sense to me!
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : What I mean is, there are varying degrees of 'riggedness' but it's all rigged. Like some people say they believe it's rigged in favour of particular players, or rigged in favour of the big stack, the short stack etc etc. Others say that it's not rigged in anyone's favour but is just designed to create action. But surely anything where the system is deliberately altering what should be a completely random result is the definition of it being rigged??
    Posted by Lambert180
    You make a flawed assumption that for it not to be random would mean its deliberately altered.
  • edited September 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised if any poker site is rigged. Heck, these are huge money making corprations that want nothing but $$$$$$$$$. Worse things have happened and they'll continue to happen until our society realises. Am I getting too deep? I could talk about sh it like this all day. Anyone wanna have a debate over pms? BRING IT
    Posted by percival09
    you, me and mp33 think the same me thinks :) will the world ever wake up!
  • edited September 2012
    Posted by Lambert180
    What if the rng is designed by a company to produce random sequences of cards but does not in fact produce perfectly random sequences? Doesnt have to be deliberate

Think of a petrolk pump which doesnt give the amount on the display. It may have been deliberately set to give you less than displayed by a dishonest vendor, or there may be a fault in the machine which vendor doesnt know about

EDIT: Not suggesting here or any other site has a fulty rng. Just saying that if something was fauly that doesnt always mean its been deliberately manipulated
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : What if the rng is designed by a company to produce random sequences of cards but does not in fact produce perfectly random sequences? Doesnt have to be deliberate Think of a petrolk pump which doesnt give the amount on the display. It may have been deliberately set to give you less than displayed by a dishonest vendor, or there may be a fault in the machine which vendor doesnt know about
    Posted by grantorino
    +1
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : What if the rng is designed by a company to produce random sequences of cards but does not in fact produce perfectly random sequences? Doesnt have to be deliberate Think of a petrolk pump which doesnt give the amount on the display. It may have been deliberately set to give you less than displayed by a dishonest vendor, or there may be a fault in the machine which vendor doesnt know about EDIT: Not suggesting here or any other site has a fulty rng. Just saying that if something was fauly that doesnt always mean its been deliberately manipulated
    Posted by grantorino

This is a very good point - and with regard to RNGs that drive online gaming software, it raises interesting questions about how any software developer has achieved "random".

If you were to produce a program using Microsoft Excel, and incorporated a routine using Excel's built in random number generator, then your "random" number would be completely dependent on the integrity of Microsoft's built in function (=RAND). You may believe your program generates a completely valid random number, and promote it as so, but in truth you've no guarantee this is the case as the base random generator isn't your work. That wouldn't, to my mind, constitute a deliberate intention to deceive, just a degree of naivity, and unintentional misrepresentation. I have no idea what language Microgaming, or the creator's of the Sky software have used, but it wouldn't surprise me if the underlying code that generates the random numbers is based upon functions built into the language, or a pre-written module that's incorporated, and not a completely unique piece of code. Perhaps one of the Sky reps here knows the answer?

Referring back to previous threads on bad beats, distribution of results etc, I do wonder whether any of the certification checks done include ones to check for the distribution of results - ie, although overall, across say, five million tournament hands dealt, the number of pair v pair coincidences would fall into line with expectations (ie it happens on average once every two hundred and eightly nine hands dealt out; 1/17 x 1/17), but if 80% of these occurred in the final stages of a tournament, it would suggest something was not quite right?

When I first joined Sky, there use to be a page that published the most recent certification audit results, ie expected number of pairs dealt and the actual number and so on. Can't find this page anymore - does anyone know where it's moved to?

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: this site is f i x e d : What if the rng is designed by a company to produce random sequences of cards but does not in fact produce perfectly random sequences? Doesnt have to be deliberate Think of a petrolk pump which doesnt give the amount on the display. It may have been deliberately set to give you less than displayed by a dishonest vendor, or there may be a fault in the machine which vendor doesnt know about EDIT: Not suggesting here or any other site has a fulty rng. Just saying that if something was fauly that doesnt always mean its been deliberately manipulated
    Posted by grantorino
    Cheers for explaining that GT... bit annoyed it didn't occur to me without you having to point it out but oh well lol. I'm never one to not back down in the face of glaring evidence/logic, so I retract my original statement. (double negative there, but couldn't think of a better way to say it).

I think you and I both believe there is no rigged shenanigans on Sky but yeah I get your point on the potential technicalities.