You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I think the villian is a pretty good player, so really didn't think he could call the river without an Ace, and I thought my line looked pretty consistent with having a big Ax.

Urgh, just looking back at this and my sizing on the flop and turn is horrible, I don't know what on earth I was doing... so cue abuse there lol.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
garner909 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £7.54
Padzz77 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.34
  Your hole cards

pokerlass2 Fold     
Lambert180 Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £7.50
sex_kitten Fold     
garner909 Call  £0.20 £0.56 £7.34
Padzz77 Call  £0.16 £0.72 £8.18
Flop

• Q

garner909 Check     
Padzz77 Bet  £0.24 £0.96 £7.94
Lambert180 Call  £0.24 £1.20 £7.26
garner909 Fold     
Turn

• A

Padzz77 Check     
Lambert180 Bet  £0.52 £1.72 £6.74
Padzz77 Call  £0.52 £2.24 £7.42
River

• A

Padzz77 Check     
Lambert180 Bet  £1.45 £3.69 £5.29
Padzz77 Call  £1.45 £5.14 £5.97
Lambert180 Show

Padzz77 Show
  • Q

Padzz77 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens £4.75  £10.72

Comments

• edited September 2012
    oppo ain't folding when the other Ace falls

bet more on turn
  • edited September 2012
    The 2nd Ace was the killer, I agree with rancid,  I'm not folding the Q when there are two aces on the board.

In answer to your question yes I think it was clear the guy had the Queen and it was a bad spot to 3 barrel with the 10's 
  • edited September 2012
    check back turn, if you wanna bluff bet more

check back that river, dont mind firing some rivers
  • edited September 2012

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm terrible at cash.  I'd like to improve, but am too lazy to put in the effort.

FYI, I did think that AJ or AT were plausible.  If you'd have had those, then I'd have paid you off.

As people have mentioned, the fact that 2 Aces came down made the decision a lot easier.  The scariest river cards would have been K or J.  If one of those had come, and you had bet bigger then I might have folded.

Other than that, from your point of view, I think the player in my seat could only have hands worse than TT which were unlikely to call, or else a Q which was unlikely to fold having called the turn.

• edited September 2012
    im checking the river as  the river changes nothing so obv padzz has summit to call flop n turn bets so im giving up river
  • edited September 2012
    don't see why you don't check back the turn tbh. Youre still ahead of a lot of his donking range and if he donked with a Q he aint folding. 
    And by checking you can probs bluff catch on most rivers as he has a draw a lot of the time otf imo
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to 8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel?:
    I think the villian is a pretty good player, so really didn't think he could call the river without an Ace,
    Posted by Lambert180
    giving far too much credit. you're assuming he's working through the hand in his head thinking about your line. a call oop with a pretty rubbish hand proves otherwise
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: 8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel?:
    In Response to 8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel? : giving far too much credit. you're assuming he's working through the hand in his head thinking about your line. a call oop with a pretty rubbish hand proves otherwise
    Posted by Pipunch
    Just a shame you don't give a single person on this forum any respect.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: 8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel? : Just a shame you don't give a single person on this forum any respect.
    Posted by Lambert180
    ...what's it got to do with that? i'm saying that in this hand you've given him too much respect thinking he WOULDN'T call with such a bad hand, when he clearly does. if he does that here, he'll do that other times too, so therefore on the whole you've either misread his game or you're giving him too much credit....no?

what's respect got to do with my opinion?

also i think you overplay medium pairs. betting on a board that smashes his pre flop range. i think it's too likely he has hands like Axs, QJ, QT, KQ, and once the ace hits i think you go behind his overall SB calling range.

check turn check river get away for 48p
  • ybyb
    edited September 2012
    check back turn imo, if he checks that river as well i don't mind betting quite small for value

also its not a 3 barrel as the villain donked into you on the flop
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to 8NL - Bad spot to 3 barrel? : giving far too much credit. you're assuming he's working through the hand in his head thinking about your line. a call oop with a pretty rubbish hand proves otherwise
    Posted by Pipunch

LOL.  I'm pretty sure he was just being polite because he knew I might read it.

Could be plain good manners, or could be he wants me to sit down with him again and make further donations.  :)

That being said, if I dont really think it's an issue of how good or bad the opponent is.  If he puts the opponent on a queen, then is the opponent folding a queen often enough for the bet to be worthwhile.  Some good opponents will call and some bad opponents will call.  Given that it was early in the game a good opponent (& I am not counting myself in that) is fairly likely to call to see what he had.  So I dont think he is getting a fold off a queen more than 25% of the time in this particular situation.

Obviously, there are other factors.  When he does have an ace later, he might get more value for it.  Or maybe the opponent will get stubborn with 88, 99, 87, etc.

• edited September 2012
    @ YB - Sorry I mis-read it when looking back, thought I'd bet the flop.. which is a bit of a comfort really, cos I looked at thought wtf am I doing c-betting 24p into 72p lol... but wasn't me :)

@Padzz - Yeah I've just seen you on here and you tend to know what you're talking about, at least more than the average rabble, but thanks for telling me you suck at cash lol.
  • edited September 2012
    Rivers really bad bluffing card, it's propably the nut card for villan to call river, check back turn and river only reason we would bet to protect v draws.

My 1st impressions is that at nl4/8 it's never a good spot to 3 barrel. Keep showing your oppo the nuts and watch you BR rise