You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash Vs Tournaments

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
Is it possible that I'm always going to be a tourney player? A couple of times I've given cash a go and have had some sucess but inevitably I end up losing money. As a tourney player, I'm in profit according to Sharkescope and find that rarely do I find myself struggling to work out what to do in tourneys. Cash frustrates me whereas I just  enjoy tourneys and even when I bust out to bad play/bad beats (from opponents) that it rarely tilts me for more than it takes me to type 'meh' in the chat box.
 So is it that I haven't accquired the right knowledge/experience to playcash as comfortably as i do in tourneys? Or should I just stick at what I'm best at in poker and concentrate on just playing tourneys?
 Any thoughts appreciated, especially those that have/do play agaisnt me.
tx,
Mohican.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I've played 10 tourneys since this and have FT'd 3, with one 2nd and two 1st's. It's about £130 profit and there's no way I can see me making that kinda money playing cash plus I've enjoyed playing all these tourneys whereas playing cash feels exactly like the grind it is. Sticking to tourneys methinks.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Cash Vs Tournaments:
    I've played 10 tourneys since this and have FT'd 3, with one 2nd and two 1st's. It's about £130 profit and there's no way I can see me making that kinda money playing cash plus I've enjoyed playing all these tourneys whereas playing cash feels exactly like the grind it is. Sticking to tourneys methinks.
    Posted by Mohican
    I have the same dilemma, I play both but pretty certain I would be more profitable if I just stuck to tourneys. however I only really play for fun and constraints such as often working evenings and a wife who hates me playing in the evenings (if I'm not working) means I rarely get to play the bigger tourneys. Ho Hum.

• edited October 2012
    It is always a very different game MTT and cash. I class myself at as a MTT player and took time and still is to change my game to suit cash.

I would suggest you look at what level of cash you are playing i.e. too high or too low think of it in the same way you look at what level of torny you would buy into. i.e. if you only play low level torny £5 to 10 buy ins dont sit down at the 25/50 etc cash tables start lower.

Good luck and there are always people here who will help you
  • edited October 2012
    think it's much easier for a cash player to adapt to tournaments quickly rather than a tournament player to adapt to cash
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah i'd agree with percival.

You need alot more patience in cash, especially at the micros.

Just sounds like you've not given yourself enough time to adapt as of yet. Having said that, if you're simply not enjoying it then it might be best for you to stick to MTT's.

Or you could look at it in another way. Instead of just thinking I want to learn to play cash, think of it as wanting to improve your overall game.

• edited October 2012
    I prefer tourneys to cash tbh but the swings can be infuriating. The BH fields on sky are so incredibly soft that I become extremely dissappointed when I go 5-6 games without a FT which is pretty ridiculous.