You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

8NL - Is this a Spewy Call?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic

What are your thoughts on the call?

I hate this villian, seems to run so good against me, stacks me every single night somehow lol. Not as much as your average joe at 8NL but as the tighter players go who know not to play ATC, this guy is on the slightly looser side pre and very aggro post-flop.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sarada Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.11
garner909 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.62
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Raise  £0.16 £0.28 £7.78
soundman Call  £0.16 £0.44 £5.02
Lambert180 Raise  £0.64 £1.08 £7.20
Budgeboy Fold     
sarada Fold     
garner909 Fold     
Call  £0.48 £1.56 £7.30
soundman Fold     
Flop

• Q

Check     
Lambert180 Bet  £0.85 £2.41 £6.35
Call  £0.85 £3.26 £6.45
Turn

Check     
Lambert180 Bet  £1.75 £5.01 £4.60
All-in  £6.45 £11.46 £0.00
Lambert180 All-in  £4.60 £16.06 £0.00
Unmatched bet  £0.10 £15.96 £0.10
Show

Lambert180 Show
  • K
  • K

River

lordgee12 Win Three 7s £14.76  £14.86

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I don't mean to be digging you out here lambert you seem alright and it's good you are playing actively and trying to learn as you go. Respect to your discipline as well.

BUT 

Let's not saturate the clinic with reassurance posts. Firstly, you know and i know this is a call against a player who is "loose pre flop and very aggressive post flop". 
    Secondly, you have history and metagame with him, so when you are at the top of your range like with an overpair you should be calling. 
    Thirdly, This forum is littered with posts of an identical nature, you have probly posted / commented on identical spots and you KNOW it is a call. 

fwiw most of your posts are credible strategy posts and they should be welcomed.. but ppl need to get away from the "is this standard cold deck ok to go broke on".

Sorry if you are offended. 
  • edited September 2012
    Nah I'm not offended at all Pr1nnyraid, I always respect your input and really don't mind people being harsh if it's necessary (although you weren't being harsh here IMO). It's probably just me being annoyed, but this villian seems to have it, every single time I call v him, so I think from him this raise is rarely ever 1pr worse than mine... but I just can't fold KK lol.
  • edited September 2012
    figure out what he does with Qx in this spot, if he ships the turn then calling is fine. if he just c/c's down which most people would then you can fold
  • edited September 2012

If he seems to turn up with it ‘every time’ then that would surprise me, nobody has it every time lol more likely that he has it every time he gets it in.. which indicates more to do with how you are playing. Sounds so basic but are you giving away hand strength with your bet / raise sizing. A lot of players like to play their strong hands strongly EG 4x raise, ¾ pot flop / turn / river. This is fine but you cant just play JJ+ like this and play everything else like, 2/3x raise, ½ pot flop / check turn. It’s a common and understandable tendency for players to want to ‘protect’ hands.. I know it won’t be as simple as that explanation but anyone paying attention will exploit this. He could be stealing pots off you when your bet sizing / pattern reveal the weaker part of your range. Then folding when you seem to have it, unless he has the bigger ‘HAVE IT’ it in which case he is getting it in. To you this will have the illusion that he ALWAYS has it, it will continue until you adjust.

Could this be accurate? 

• edited September 2012
    Yeah I think there's probably some element of truth to this Pr1nnyraid, and probably an element of variance and coincidence against this particular opponent.

Admittedly I do sometimes vary my bet sizes pre and post, which I should probably get out the habit of sooner rather than later for when I move up, but I do it now because 90%+ of opponents don't notice. This guy is either one that does, or as I say it's a bit of selective memory from me/coincidence/variance.

He doesn't really steal pots off me often, it's only when we get it in he has it, and obviously I'm not getting it in too light, it's just recently whenever I have a strong hand, he has the nuts lol.