You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chat Restrictions?

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
Okay, obviously I missed something...

Just saw this on another thread.. I didn't want to derail the thread as BeanBag seems to be getting into the swing of things but can someone pls explain what this bit of the post by Tikay means >>>

The "chat restrictions"? That was such a shame, & Sky Poker did everything they could before bringing it in, they asked players, they warned them, but abuse of people playing for high stakes could not be allowed to continue, & almost all of the abuse came from players who play smaller stakes, or in some cases, not at all, they just wanted to abuse people. It had to be stopped I'm afraid. The players themselves (those who abused others who were playing) have to take some responsibility for their actions. 

When was it implemented and how does it work? Can someone ship me a link to the original thread/announcement please? tytytytyty

xx

Comments

• edited September 2012

Hi Irene,

I have now Posted on that thread as follows.....

"Apologies - I think I jumped the gun there - these Restrictions are UNDER DISCUSSION, & have not been introduced yet as far as I know.

It is almost certain that they will, though."

As far as I am aware, the software tweak to enable this is now in place. Whether, & when, they are introduced I am currently unsure. I'll ask though, & get back to you.  

• edited September 2012

Just sigh...

I understand completely why this would be implemented but I stand by my suggestions and views in the original discussion thread.  I agree that the playerbase (or more accurately a certain few) has to bear the bulk of the responsibility for this change but I still believe there are better fixes which while more effort for SkyPoker to implement would be more beneficial for the whole atmosphere of the site.

I also find it immensely frustrating that some of the complaining players instead of focusing on the individual who has broken the etiquette in the chatbox and taking the time to report those individuals have gone for the broad sweep easy option of one quick fired email off asking for a blanket ban.  I think I said something to the tune of them either taking the time and effort to report one person and making a positive change to the site or just learning to deal with it.  My opinion has not changed.

• edited September 2012
    No worries Pops, will keep an eye out...

Was gonna ask for a mod to delete this thread but prolly shouldnt now it has been posted on..

As an adage, I think this would be a very very bad thing for the site if applied indiscriminately across the board.. 

xx
  • edited September 2012
    I think this has to be done. WP sky
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Chat Restrictions?:
    I think this has to be done. WP sky
    Posted by percival09

By this thinking Percy, a lot of the folks popping by to wish you luck in your Jackpot quest last night would not have been able to do so...

How does that make the site better? 

xx

• edited September 2012
    Oh, I thought tikay meant just in high stakes cash games. Lol. 

No, I don't it's required in tournaments at all - but I do understand when there's a huge high stakes heads up cash game going on or whatever but yeah I see your point.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Chat Restrictions?:
    Okay, obviously I missed something... Just saw this on another thread.. I didn't want to derail the thread as BeanBag seems to be getting into the swing of things but can someone pls explain what this bit of the post by Tikay means />>> The "chat restrictions"? That was such a shame, & Sky Poker did everything they could before bringing it in, they asked players, they warned them, but abuse of people playing for high stakes could not be allowed to continue, & almost all of the abuse came from players who play smaller stakes, or in some cases, not at all, they just wanted to abuse people. It had to be stopped I'm afraid. The players themselves (those who abused others who were playing) have to take some responsibility for their actions.   When was it implemented and how does it work? Can someone ship me a link to the original thread/announcement please? tytytytyty xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    Link to original thread  Rail chat options - ideas
  • edited September 2012

Can I just clarify where we are with this please. 

I misread MAXALLY’s question, & never saw the word “proposed”, & assumed that the changes had been implemented, as we have discussed them so much in the office of late.

They have not – yet - but they will be.

Apologies for the typical tikay misread.....

It is intended that the next software release will include the capability to block chat. I would expect that to happen within a few weeks. 

capability” is the key word.  

It will NOT be “blanket”, as I note some have jumped to that conclusion. It will be dynamic & variable, & can be modified easily.

It does NOT have to be, & will not be, all Cash Tables, or all Tourney Tables.

Minimum amount in account to allow chat? It can be varied from nil to any amount.

It will only be applied where necessary, & i
    t will only be applied where it needs to be applied. 

One of the biggest areas of concern is high stakes cash games.

Players are being terribly & repeatedly abused by some individuals, & this cannot continue.

Where it happens in Tourneys, or ANY stake cash games, it CAN & WILL be introduced if & when needed.

It may surprise you to know that a majority of this abuse (in excess of 70% I believe) comes from individuals who do not even have money in their account, or who play most of their poker elsewhere. It rarely comes from regulars, & so can be targeted accordingly.

Many other sites have measures to prevent this, such as a minimum of “x” in their account, so they come here for their “fun”. 

The introduction will be specifically focused & targeted at the problem areas initially. If need be, & only if need be, it can & will be extended. 

Sky Poker will do whatever is needed here. If players who never play here, or rarely do, want to abuse or players, they will not be able to.      

The last thing Sky Poker want is a blanket ban, & it won’t be that.

The business fully understands the Community aspect, & it’s importance, & will not deliberately jeopardise that. But it is not going to allow this problem to continue unchecked.

Players must also share the responsibility here. It’s all well & good pointing the finger at the business, but the root cause is the real problem.

We often see “I would never grass up someone for chat abuse”. Well you should. It’s not acceptable. If every case of abuse was reported, there would not be a problem. 

It’s a problem for both sides of the Table, & we will work together to address it.
  • edited September 2012
    If chat is to be banned, will that signal the end of the DTD?
    The table banter has been superb when I've railed. Taking chat away surely can't be the way forward?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Chat Restrictions?:
    If chat is to be banned, will that signal the end of the DTD? The table banter has been superb when I've railed. Taking chat away surely can't be the way forward?
    Posted by cleansweep
    Table chat is NOT going to be banned.

Table chat is NOT going to be removed.

I don't believe anyone from the business said it would, or that it would be "blanket". It won't.