You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New phone contract

edited November 2009 in The Shed
I spent all day friday looking at new phones as my contract is up for renewal, and after much blagging with O2 Retentions I decided to move away and get a new contract with Vodafone with the Samsung Jet S8000. Does anyone else have this phone?

The key to this is definately shopping around. Using Quidco.com I got £50 cashback instantly for getting a new contract by clicking the Quidco link to mobiles.co.uk. If you don't use a cashback website for online shopping I very much advise you start! MAssssssive savings for xmas on Play/Tesco/Asda/HMV/Argos amongst a plethora of other websites!

Anyways, It worked out at a 24month contract, 600min, Unlimited Txts, Unlimited Internet -- £18.00/month which is pretty amazing I think for the phone I'm getting too.

Anyone else used this Samsung Jet or Vodafone and have an opinion on them? Should be arriving Mon/Tue...

x

Comments

• edited November 2009
    that is a good deal. i jumped on the orange iphone bandwagon so i'll be paying through my teeth for the next couple of years. great bit of kit though.

i also use cashback sites. love the idea but i've been using it for 6 months and not received a penny.

(it = greasypalm.com)
  • edited November 2009
    Nice 1.  It is amazing the deals you can get by shopping around and blagging managers.

A few yrs ago I was looking for a phone and the one I wanted was £80 WITH a contract,  I went to another shop, they said they will do it for £50, went to another shop and asked if they could beat it,  they said theyd do it for £20.
    Went to yet another shop, they said I could have the fone for free.

I then went back to the first shop who were charging £80 and told them, he said `let me have a word with the manager`, the manager came out, took me to one side and said I can have the fone for free, plus £25 worth of accessories.

Unreal, they are such con merchants.
  • edited November 2009

I always get the daughters cast offs, so im always i step behind in the technology stakes, however all i want to do is fone up friends now and then and text them now and then. I pay £5 a month and get 1000min free call to 10 numbers of the same supplier which all my family are on, and 1000 free texts, of which i use about 100 lol. This is plenty for me

• edited November 2009
    These cashback sites seem like a great idea, so thanks very much for bringing this to my atttention.  perhaps there should be a dedicated thread for money saving tips or good suggestio ns like the above, as i am sure other people would have good advice to share on here.

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    never tried one of those sites. thanks for posting as I will need a new phone soon.

will definately check out the site. cheers for the tip,
  • edited November 2009
    I'm getting a new phone, too,

If you buy a payasyougo phone from orange at the moment, they're giving away Skullcandy headphones which are kinda cool.
    Then, if you have an 18 month £10 SIM-only contract you get 200 mins and unlimited texts, add a £5 unlimited internet policy and you're off. xD

So that's like anywhere between say £30-£90 for the phone, (I paid £80 for a Samsung Pocco Lite) and then a £15 18 month contract for unlimted texts, e-mail and internet, then 200mins. As I usually get phoned up, as opposed to making calls, it suits me well.

Plus, it's only an 18 month contract, which I prefer.

Also, as an afterthought. As most payasyougo phones come with credit on them, when you change to a contract you get whatever credit balance you have taken off the first months payment. So say the phone comes with £10 credit, that'll be taken off your first bill. A bit helpful.
  • edited November 2009
    If you don't want a high end phone, its worth going through Quidco to get an O2 Simplicity 12 month contract. Th contract is £20/month, but the quidco link gives you £100 cash back, making it work out at £7.50 month for 600min/1200txt, and then you can buy a pretty decent new PAYG/SimFree/Unlocked phone from play.com or mobiles.co.uk for like £50-£150 (your choice) also using Quidco links and getting more money back :).

It's good stuff.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: New phone contract:
    that is a good deal. i jumped on the orange iphone bandwagon so i'll be paying through my teeth for the next couple of years. great bit of kit though. i also use cashback sites. love the idea but i've been using it for 6 months and not received a penny. (it = greasypalm.com)
    Posted by Sky_Rich

i was with orange for over 10 years 3 phones on contract for 8 of them (myself, wife & daughter ) left them this year after terrible service even had internet with them at one point for a while. Bunch of muppets i found. Went to O2 got the new iPhone and have not had a day's trouble with them, very helpful and great package too an your right rich, very nice bit of kit!!

one thing i would say is we need to get sky poker as an app so i can play poker while i am at work ;)
  • edited November 2009
    not sure thats such a good idea wayne.  I can just see you sitting there with your learner that's not overly keen on roundabouts, you're focused on playing your 7-2 off suit as usual, oblivious to your client going round said roundabout in the wrong direction...
  • edited November 2009
    Skypoker on my phone would be so amazing.

THIS NEEDS DOING!!!
  • edited November 2009
    I have the samsung jet... very nice looking phone, good screen etc. Dont expect the iphone though when it comes to apps because apart from google maps there isnt any really.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: New phone contract:
    not sure thats such a good idea wayne.  I can just see you sitting there with your learner that's not overly keen on roundabouts, you're focused on playing your 7-2 off suit as usual, oblivious to your client going round said roundabout in the wrong direction...
    Posted by Buistyboy
    lol ray!! going round roundabouts wrong way just as exciting as playing 7 2 off suit lol