You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tilt

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat
having a hard time of it atm, nothing seems to be going my way and nt enjoying the gam as much as usual? Wht do u guys do at times like this ? do u tke a few days off or jus keep plyin and wait for variance toeven out?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Nit it up ans make sure you play well within your Bank Roll 
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Tilt:
    having a hard time of it atm, nothing seems to be going my way and nt enjoying the gam as much as usual? Wht do u guys do at times like this ? do u tke a few days off or jus keep plyin and wait for variance toeven out?  
    Posted by samboram45
    Defianetaly time to take a brk even if its just for a day/night. You won,t play your A game and will usually come back more hungry to do well after a brk

Or if your just playing  1 discipline of the game only  - say cash, MTT,s , DYM,s Timed tourneys etc why not try a new game that might be of more interest to you

GL _ paul
  • edited September 2012
    thnks for advice guys . think il try and run my c4p's up then tke a week off
  • edited September 2012
    take a few days off & come back with a fresher, keener mindset as you probably aren't playing optimally,

dropping down a level or two can be good for morale if you are feeling down about the game.

& hey at least you recognise there's a problem, that's often half the battle
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Tilt:
    take a few days off & come back with a fresher, keener mindset as you probably aren't playing optimally, dropping down a level or two can be good for morale if you are feeling down about the game. & hey at least you recognise there's a problem, that's often half the battle
    Posted by yoyo
    +1 to this
  • edited September 2012
    Thnks guys,  much appreciated , will defo follow ur advice
  • edited September 2012
    dropping down is good also i just played freerolls last time it happened to me,for a few days.
    play less and even take time off as already mentioned.
    also i played other games just to break up my usual routine,so i was playing cash and then played some dym and the occasional tournament too.

best wishes
    :)
    dev
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Tilt:
    Posted by samboram45
    Hi Sam.

I'm slightly confused here - the thread title is "Tilt", but you talk about running bad & not enjoying it.

If it is the latter, then yes, take a break, or try a different format, it often does the trick.

However, if it is "Tilt", which is almost a fashion in poker now, then you need to deal with the root cause. Having a break as a cure for "Tilt" is like buying more handkerchiefs for a cold - it will not cure it, but life will be more bearable. Better surely to cure the problem?

"Tilt" is a negative emotion, it is -Ev, & costs more than limping, playing marginal hands out of position, & any other poker weakness you can think of. Tilt is a weakness, a bad thing for a poker player, or anyone for that matter, & we don't look too bright when we go off on one. 

So, if you don't mind me saying so (I'm trying to help), try addressing the ROOT CAUSE - the tilt.

Cure that, & the world, & your poker game, will look a better place straight away.

I know I say this again & again to people, but if you cannot solve it yourself, do please try reading "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler & Barry Carter. It will pay for itself in a single session of poker. 

Hope that helps, I really do. It's very sad, this epidimic of "tilt", but it is easy to control once you recognize what a serious leak it is, & how totally it destroys our enjoyment of poker.

Good luck, & let me know how you get on please.   

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Tilt : Hi Sam. I'm slightly confused here - the thread title is "Tilt", but you talk about running bad & not enjoying it. If it is the latter, then yes, take a break, or try a different format, it often does the trick. However, if it is "Tilt", which is almost a fashion in poker now, then you need to deal with the root cause. Having a break as a cure for "Tilt" is like buying more handkerchiefs for a cold - it will not cure it, but life will be more bearable. Better surely to cure the problem? "Tilt" is a negative emotion, it is -Ev, & costs more than limping, playing marginal hands out of position, & any other poker weakness you can think of. Tilt is a weakness, a bad thing for a poker player, or anyone for that matter, & we don't look too bright when we go off on one.  So, if you don't mind me saying so (I'm trying to help), try addressing the ROOT CAUSE - the tilt. Cure that, & the world, & your poker game, will look a better place straight away.   I know I say this again & again to people, but if you cannot solve it yourself, do please try reading "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler & Barry Carter. It will pay for itself in a single session of poker.  Hope that helps, I really do. It's very sad, this epidimic of "tilt", but it is easy to control once you recognize what a serious leak it is, & how totally it destroys our enjoyment of poker. Good luck, & let me know how you get on please.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tikay , Thanks for reply , much appreciated. I watch the show all the time and the advice you and the other guys nd girls give is fantastic and really helps me. It is really great tht u also take the time to come on the forum nd give advice as well.
         The reason I entitled thepost 'tilt' is because i was a bit tilted at the time and I did stop playing at tht point as I knew it would effect my game. But the main reason for the post was the second bit which you and others have given great advice. I have been meaning to buy The mental game of Poker for ages so will definately do tht. Thnks agin for advice , much appreciated , all the best
  • edited September 2012
    dropping down is good also i just played freerolls last time it happened to me,for a few days. play less and even take time off as already mentioned. also i played other games just to break up my usual routine,so i was playing cash and then played some dym and the occasional tournament too. best wishes :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    cheers dev , thnks for advice , think i will mix it up a bit and defo going to tke a bit of a break :)