You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i have expected this?

Hi guys,
Do the pot odds and possible reverse implied odds as not nut flush justify the play?
I know that the opponent is a good player so i think it may be down to me and the 'hope' that two pairs would be good enough. Was my bet sizing correct? Maybe a pot sized bet on turn would have stopped opponent calling? What do you suggest?....

layerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceprofman15Small blind 50.0050.002010.00***
Big blind 100.00150.002595.00 Your hole cardsKQ   SammydridFold    bailey69Fold    labrat64Fold    profman15Raise 150.00300.001860.00***
Call 100.00400.002495.00Flop  7KJ   profman15Bet 200.00600.001660.00***
Call 200.00800.002295.00Turn  4   profman15Bet 400.001200.001260.00***
Call 400.001600.001895.00River  Q   profman15Check    ***
Bet 1600.003200.00295.00profman15All-in 1260.004460.000.00*** Unmatched bet 340.004120.00635.00profman15ShowKQ   ***
Show96   ***
WinFlush to the King4120.00 4755.00

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Yea probably when he does this on the river, you can't fold though. 

v wet flop on turn so just bet bigger both times.
  • edited September 2012

As stacks are its pretty hard to get away from this hand imo
    As played Id lead out with a bet of 800ish on the river. The line I’d take is betting a little more on flop and turn and shove river. Don’t like checking the river there with the intention of calling, cause villain will be betting all his flushes and sets(that beat your hand), and checking behind a lower 2 pair or a Kx hand (blind vs blind so won’t be surprised if he showed down K9), and with you betting out there the change of him calling with worse

• edited September 2012
    Little more flop and turn

Jam river, hate the check
  • edited September 2012
    I like the bet on the flop, though you should probably bet a little bigger on the turn. Given the stack sizes, there's not too much wrong with your size on the turn but 500-600 might be a bit better. It lets you shove the river more easily, too.

On the river, you should still be betting for value in my opinion. You're still getting calls from weaker Kings or two-pairs which you don't want to give him the opportunity to check back. If your opponent has been calling on a draw, then it's hard luck. Given the stack sizes it's an all-in on the river.
  • edited September 2012
    IMO more aggression flop and turn, river a sick card for you UL!
  • edited September 2012
    find these sky BonB betting situations difficult to read sometimes.  Looks like you min?  Forgive me if am wrong.  Happy enough with the min as a rule but in BonB spots I often think its better to creep it up to 2.5x - 2.9x.

Rest I'd play mostly the same.
  • edited September 2012
    300 for me on the flop as it is very wet then turn becomes bigger river i would probably play the same
  • edited September 2012
    Cheers guys

Some very good points made. I find that these shallow stack T's often become donk fests and perhaps I'm being too conservative in my bet sizing. I agree with bigger raise pre AND 3/4 pot due to wet board. However, would the pot odds put off a player looking for the flush. I get the impression at times that once 2 cards on the flop match thei two cards in their hands then they are going with it no matter what ( they probably use the "I had the implied odds"  excuse). Do players in your exp really shy away from the draw if a 3/4 size bet is made. My opponent didn't even have high card equity and didn't have the pot odds on the turn to continue really. Yes I called so you may feel the implied odds where there but with TPGK I would not have called. Does that sound flawed as yes, a flush beats two pr as well but I was considering he may have two pr or TPwk. It just seems that shallow stack T's don't really give the scope for mathematically correct bet sizing before you get pot committed. Your thoughts?
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Should i have expected this?:
    Cheers guys Some very good points made. I find that these shallow stack T's often become donk fests and perhaps I'm being too conservative in my bet sizing. I agree with bigger raise pre AND 3/4 pot due to wet board. However, would the pot odds put off a player looking for the flush. I get the impression at times that once 2 cards on the flop match thei two cards in their hands then they are going with it no matter what ( they probably use the "I had the implied odds"  excuse). Do players in your exp really shy away from the draw if a 3/4 size bet is made. My opponent didn't even have high card equity and didn't have the pot odds on the turn to continue really. Yes I called so you may feel the implied odds where there but with TPGK I would not have called. Does that sound flawed as yes, a flush beats two pr as well but I was considering he may have two pr or TPwk. It just seems that shallow stack T's don't really give the scope for mathematically correct bet sizing before you get pot committed. Your thoughts?
    Posted by profman15
    Maybe not, but you get more value from them when you bet bigger
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah, profman you've got to get away from this idea that your bets are trying to push your opponents off their draws.

If our opponent has a flush draw and we offer him the wrong odds to hit that flush draw, we want him to call. If he has a 4:1 chance of hitting and we offer him odds of only 3:1 then we make money when he calls (as long as we don't pay him off if he hits). 3:1 are the odds we offer him if we bet half-pot but if he'll call a full-pot bet just as often then that's the bet we should make. As long as he's making bad calls, we're making money.

What we don't want to do is make him fold a hand that we're beating by making a big bet, especially if he would have called a smaller bet. As long as our bet is offering him bad odds, we make profit when he calls.
  • edited October 2012
     Very good points Borin. I have the wtong mnd set for this game at times. I'm looking for less risk, small reward by looking at a poor call based on pot odds which catches the card as bad play. My bad play is calling his flush and so justifying his implied odds.
    I think i just get tetchy at bd calls which catch. Silly really as what goes around comes around, i suppose. Thanks for the heads up and you too G