You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Adviice for a new guy?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,

So I'm a fairly new player, been playing about 8 months for real money,I'm about to play my first live satellite game and would love any advice / tips???

Anything will be massively appreciated!

Kieran

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Just enjoy it fella, to start with i would announce whatever actions you take until you get into the flow of things. 

Try to keep a track of stack sizes and the chips in the pot and most importantly how much a player has left behind, as depending on the players some people will commit themselves without even realising with a ridic low amount left behind. 

Concentrate on playing the 2 players to your right as it'll prob be 9/10 handed, watch their hands (+speed of action) and look out for generic tendencies like pulling cards in when they like a hand or looking like they are going to fold, etc.  Its always nice to get a read like this quickly... but it takes a little while tbh,. 

Also not sure how familialr you are/aren't with live but if it gets to show down its usually the last person who bet who has to show first and you can just muck if you call but think your loosing  If your obv winning (like set+ or nuts) its decent ettique to just flip them over straight away so they can muck... If all in then both players need to show the hand. 

Good luck

• edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: Adviice for a new guy?:
    Just enjoy it fella, to start with i would announce whatever actions you take until you get into the flow of things.  Try to keep a track of stack sizes and the chips in the pot and most importantly how much a player has left behind, as depending on the players some people will commit themselves without even realising with a ridic low amount left behind.  Concentrate on playing the 2 players to your right as it'll prob be 9/10 handed, watch their hands (+speed of action) and look out for generic tendencies like pulling cards in when they like a hand or looking like they are going to fold, etc.  Its always nice to get a read like this quickly... but it takes a little while tbh,.  Also not sure how familialr you are/aren't with live but if it gets to show down its usually the last person who bet who has to show first and you can just muck if you call but think your loosing  If your obv winning (like set+ or nuts) its decent ettique to just flip them over straight away so they can muck... If all in then both players need to show the hand.  Good luck
    Posted by TPTP123

That was genuinely very helpful!!!!!! Thanks very much!!!
  • edited September 2012
    no probs man, good luck