You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ early in tourney, what now?

edited September 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Only level 3, should i just flat the raise pre or am i ok to 3 bet?

Not sure about oppo`s donk bet on the flop!! Still deep so when he re raises is it a fold?

Only reads are oppo has been playing pots from any position.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
herriot10 Small blind  20.00 20.00 2815.00
toldham39 Big blind  40.00 60.00 3585.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

CHICWING Fold     
amorth Raise  160.00 220.00 2695.00
davelufc Raise  320.00 540.00 2635.00
Browndog06 Fold     
herriot10 Call  300.00 840.00 2515.00
toldham39 Fold     
amorth Call  160.00 1000.00 2535.00
Flop

• Q

herriot10 Check     
amorth Bet  40.00 1040.00 2495.00
davelufc Raise  580.00 1620.00 2055.00
herriot10 Fold     
amorth Raise  1080.00 2700.00 1415.00
davelufc  ??

Comments

• edited September 2012
    3b pre is fine but make it bit bigger

just flat flop - the raise is prettttty bad. Have to fold now.
  • edited September 2012
    3bet bigger pre if u are going to 3bet

I raise the donk bet of 4% of pot all day. Fold now
  • edited September 2012
    Dont mind a flat or 3bet depending on reads/dynamic of seats.

Dont agree to to 3bet (when taking 3bet line) bigger tbh.  Only if oppo is bad and we are confident he stations a larger bet oop. 

I hate these donk outs, but dont mind doing what you do - disregarding his donk and making the bet you likely would have when checked to. 

But when he pops it back we can obv only continue if we have notes/reads he does this with a flush draw or something bad like 10's.

Personally i flat pre here this early and look to play through streets, especially if i have notes/reads oppo min donks streets.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi D

I'm going to take a different line. Your 3 betting an Mp raise so expect 10% hand early doors which makes you reconsider if A,K or Q are on flop. Even when there isn't you could be up v a slow play. My advice so early in T is to play JJ and TT as medium prs and set mine. At later levels you can push players off pots or even all-in when lowish to resteal. Early doors let the jack flop and lick your lips mate.......
  • edited September 2012
    I do prefer flatting JJ pre, but it's not terrible to 3bet (do it bigger though).

I'd definitely raise the flop, can't be letting him set his own ridic low price with staright draws, FDs etc. Fold to the raise though, min-donk, then he clicks back your raise? Well done to him if this is a bluff lol
  • edited September 2012
    earling in a mtt im calling this later in mtt im shoving think your raise is to big on the flop could of gotsame information for a 300 bet but its a sigh fold i think
  • edited September 2012
    I wouldn't be 3-betting pre-flop here mainly because of the stack sizes. Your 3-bet would usually be bigger than 320 here because at least some of the time we want our opponent to be folding, when we make the 3-bet with hands worse than JJ (If we don't 3-bet with any hands other than big pairs and AK our range becomes pretty transparent). By making it 320, we're only doubling the initial raise and our opponent is unlikely to fold for that.

If we make the 3-bet to 450 or so, with our stack of 3000 we're effectively saying that we're willing to get the lot in pre-flop. However most players will only 4-bet at this stage of an MTT with AA, KK, QQ and AK. This means that what we really want when we 3-bet JJ is to know that our opponent is going to call that 3-bet with alot of hands worse than our JJ. If he folds those worse hands then we've lost value from our hand by 3-betting. If he 4-bets we've put ourselves in a tricky situation where he's likely to only hold hands which we're flipping against or dominated by.

As it happens, our opponent has made his initial raise to 4x and usually that means they're unlikely to fold to a 3-bet. I'd agree with flat-calling the pre-flop raise and playing in position.

Anyway, the flop lead on this board is an interesting one. I would not raise on this board because in my limited experience with these bets, they usually signify that our opponent has something. On this kind of board and considering the pre-flop raise and call, that something is unlikely to be a bare 6 or 7, so that leaves hands that beat us - Qx, 66, 77 - and draws. If he's got this far with a flush draw he's unlikely to simply fold it to a raise. I doubt very much that he ever leads out on this flop with TT or worse. If the flop was Ten-high, I would almost certainly raise.

So I'd just call the flop bet and reassess on the turn. If it's a club and he bets again then I'm going to fold (though probably not for a min-bet). I agree that we should always look to charge those draws when we have the made hand but on this board the made hands in his range that continue are all likely to be made hands that beat us. So when he continues, we're left in a difficult situation as you were here.

As for that difficult situation, facing the flop raise: I think folding is probably best. To call or raise you have to be in a gambly mood, thinking that he's going to do this on the draw more often than with top-pair or better...

...unless you're about to tell me that I'm completely wrong, you got to showdown and he had 88. lol
  • edited September 2012
    So I've only just realised that we went three-way to a flop. Even so, I'd still just flat the donk-lead. It might bring the player in behind us but we're still going to be looking for dry turn cards if he calls and if he check-raises... well then we get to see what the donk-leader does before making our decision.

IDONKCALLU, I can't imagine that we ever get reliable information when we raise to 300 into a pot of 1000 unless that information is a fold. In that case, the information we gain is that we just made our opponent fold a hand that we were beating, with which he was willing to put more chips into the pot. Besides that, if our opponent has a flush draw and we only raise 260 more, he would be getting better than the direct odds he would need to call, meaning that we're paying him to draw rather than charging him.
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ early in tourney, what now?:
    earling in a mtt im calling this later in mtt im shoving think your raise is to big on the flop could of gotsame information for a 300 bet but its a sigh fold i think
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    It's barely a 1/2 pot bet. It's probably what he'd have bet if the guy checked, which is what I'd treat it as.
  • edited September 2012
    If the oppo had`nt played every hand from the start, i may have taken a different line but something just did`nt feel right. The 3 bet on the flop made me think he was weak ( right or wrong? )

I thought if he was chasing, then i`d charge him by shoving.

Ps, this is not a brag or a rubdown, just thought it was interesting.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    herriot10 Small blind  20.00 20.00 2815.00
    toldham39 Big blind  40.00 60.00 3585.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

CHICWING Fold     
    amorth Raise  160.00 220.00 2695.00
    davelufc Raise  320.00 540.00 2635.00
    Browndog06 Fold     
    herriot10 Call  300.00 840.00 2515.00
    toldham39 Fold     
    amorth Call  160.00 1000.00 2535.00
    Flop

• Q

herriot10 Check     
    amorth Bet  40.00 1040.00 2495.00
    davelufc Raise  580.00 1620.00 2055.00
    herriot10 Fold     
    amorth Raise  1080.00 2700.00 1415.00
    davelufc All-in  2055.00 4755.00 0.00
    amorth All-in  1415.00 6170.00 0.00
    davelufc Unmatched bet  100.00 6070.00 100.00
    amorth Show
    • K

davelufc Show
    • J
    • J

Turn

River

davelufc Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 6s 6070.00  6170.00
  • edited September 2012
    Now I look preeetty stupid. lol

Still, I think more often he's going to have something rather than air, unless you have reads to say otherwise.
  • edited September 2012
    "If the oppo had`nt played every hand from the start, i may have taken a different line but something just did`nt feel right. The 3 bet on the flop made me think he was weak ( right or wrong? )"

Based on your observations and thoughts about the player at the time (easy to see now of course) i feel you made the right decision. Great when you get it right :)
  • edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: JJ early in tourney, what now?:
    Now I look preeetty stupid. lol Still, I think more often he's going to have something rather than air, unless you have reads to say otherwise.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    The points u made in your earlier post where very valid and made complete sense. You cant legislate for not knowing the "villian" or dynamics of the table