You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Overplaying kk

Was playing a station last night and was waiting and waiting for my killer punch.  I found a lovely starting hand PREFLOP! and decided, before any action, that is was all going in!  Silly me.  Decided to post this to highlight the importance of maintaining focus and controlling bet sizes (not getting married to a hand)

Re thinking this hand once both players call my flop bet I should really slow things down - check call - because I have no idea what they are calling with.  I know I'm not up against a big hand but could easily of hit trips or 2 pr. or....

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
v1 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £580.18
BIGSHANN Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £274.67
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

v2Raise  £2.00 £3.50 £115.21
v1 Call  £1.50 £5.00 £578.68
BIGSHANN Raise  £7.00 £12.00 £267.67
v2Call  £6.00 £18.00 £109.21
v1 Call  £6.00 £24.00 £572.68
Flop

v1 Check     
BIGSHANN Bet  £18.00 £42.00 £249.67
v2 Call  £18.00 £60.00 £91.21
v1 Call  £18.00 £78.00 £554.68
Turn

v1 Check     
BIGSHANN All-in  £249.67 £327.67 £0.00
v2 Fold     
v1 Call  £249.67 £577.34 £305.01
v1 Show

BIGSHANN Show
  • K
  • K

River

• A

v1 Win Straight to the 6 £575.54  £880.55

Comments

• edited November 2009
    raise more preflop as there is action before u and u definately dont want kk 3 way. im making it £10 easily here.

maybe overplayed it on the turn but i don't think im getting away from this much of the time either. a 2/3rds bet rather than a shove for pot control wouldn't be a better approach here, if he shoves you can MAYBE fold as he's made 2 straights (A3, 36) but calling his all in isnt bad either - it just gives u an opportunity to save some money.

the guy played it badly and hit a gutshot/club draw which unfortunately ran into your preflop monster. ul
  • edited November 2009
    raise more pre IMO.  bet more flop.  dunno what id do here turn tho but we are 250bb deep so i really hate the AI, no need for it when the pot is only 70/80.

depends on how he had been playing tho. certain villains i like your overbet turn.  others its pretty spewy.
  • edited November 2009
    His actual miracle card is very unlucky m8. But not sure the massive overbet was needed. Perhaps a slow down as both of u were very deep stacked for a .50/1 table. Very hard when u know that u want ur stack in vs a station but the 'set warning' would have been ringing for me.
  • edited November 2009
    person called maybe because enuf money was in pot....  thats y u sud raise more but even with a raise that size i dnt expect a loose call as such.......
  • edited November 2009
    I see your think Shann but once villain has hit that flop i dont think he is going away regardless if he was as laggy as it sounds he may well have chased any possible flush to the river perhaps a bigger raise on the flop but i dont see how you could do much else than slow down when they have both called you on the flop lets be honest you got very ul you will come through long term over these types of players good luck at the tables
  • edited November 2009
    i cant belive  you got call 63s  but then again call u with anything suited on here they got a draw noway there going to lay it down unlucky
  • edited November 2009
    6/3 suited shuldnt ave been in the hand... but e was a e won and thats poker... just ul....  most of the times wen u raise wey kings and hit that sorta flop ul get paid off
  • edited November 2009

Once villain has called the intial min-raise your re-raise is never going to get rid of him as he has position on both of you and you are so deep. The off suit 5 is a killer card coz if the flush comes maybe you can get away from it

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Overplaying kk:
    raise more preflop as there is action before u and u definately dont want kk 3 way. im making it £10 easily here. maybe overplayed it on the turn but i don't think im getting away from this much of the time either. a 2/3rds bet rather than a shove for pot control wouldn't be a better approach here, if he shoves you can MAYBE fold as he's made 2 straights (A3, 36) but calling his all in isnt bad either - it just gives u an opportunity to save some money. the guy played it badly and hit a gutshot/club draw which unfortunately ran into your preflop monster. ul
    Posted by Deadluck
    Agree with this and Scotty - should of raised more pre.  Problem is though with the two villians I could of raised to 20 and probably still got called.  This is the reason why I kept the pre flop raise small.  But when the board came as it did and I was in a couple of big pots on other tables I was not really thinking it through on this one.  So on the turn, after my 3/4pot post flop raise did not shake them I stupidly pushed all in, to take the pot down, thinking im only beaten by trips. 

I ended up on this table in end so not all bad.
  • edited November 2009
    raise more pre. b/f turn
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Overplaying kk : Agree with this and Scotty - should of raised more pre.  Problem is though with the two villians I could of raised to 20 and probably still got called.  This is the reason why I kept the pre flop raise small.  But when the board came as it did and I was in a couple of big pots on other tables I was not really thinking it through on this one.  So on the turn, after my 3/4pot post flop raise did not shake them I stupidly pushed all in, to take the pot down, thinking im only beaten by trips.  I ended up on this table in end so not all bad.
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    and?  make it 20, let them call.  in live games the fish there raise to 7 in a 1/2 but everyone calls.  then when i make it 24 PF they go W TF you donk but I still get like 4 callers.

and if you was gonna keep it small PF, then why overbet turn???

but anyway i think with that hand your always getting stacked.  i mean if he had a brain, he raises you big OTF I mean hes flopped a gutshot+FD what more does he want.
  • edited November 2009
    You got Naka'd didn't you?

The shove turn isn't right against him imo.

He's a donk BUT generally won't stack off THAT lightly, and his range on the flop is so wide that that turn could easily give him 2p.

I slow down against him here.

He'd never get true value for his hand either as his bet sizing isn't great and he'd let you off cheaply if you decide to slow down.
  • edited November 2009
    thinly veiled bad beat post and very questionable strategy ITT
  • edited November 2009
    "but anyway i think with that hand your always getting stacked.  i mean if he had a brain, he raises you big OTF I mean hes flopped a gutshot+FD what more does he want." - SCOTTY77

Yup I'm definately committing myself to the hand on that flop. I'm doubling up or going bust. Id be more comfortable committing(pushing) my stack to the pot at this point with the draws than I would with the KK.

FLOP...

I bet out with the kings, re raise with the draws, push again with the kings, and snap call with the draws!

I just cant fold can I! haha
    GL, DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    Turn shove is an absolute horror show
  • edited November 2009
    Turn shove is an absolute horror show
    Posted by iveyesc
    Thanks for your input ivey.  If you had read my previous posts, and the title of this thread, you would realise that I have already held my hands up at how horribly I have played this.

But again thank you for your constructive criticism and well constructed reasoning.

Look forward to your input on future posts with anticipation!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Overplaying kk : Thanks for your input ivey.  If you had read my previous posts, and the title of this thread, you would realise that I have already held my hands up at how horribly I have played this. But again thank you for your constructive criticism and well constructed reasoning. Look forward to your input on future posts with anticipation!
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    Sorry didn't read other responses.
  • edited November 2009

I think you played it well if you intended to slow play the station.
    He just got very lucky with the flop and river.

I was playing against one earlier this evening and no matter what size raise or re-raise you put in he would call hoping to hit and he hit more often than not. Very frustrating.