You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

8NL - Checking a set of Aces on the Turn?

edited October 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Any thoughts on my line here?

My thinking when I checked the turn, was that 3betting pre then barrelling that turn looks very strong and probably folds out alot of his weaker hands (like what he called with), and if he's got a King, I'm losing a decent sized pot anyway. So I checked to keep in the weaker part of his range.

Is this flawed thinking? Should I just bet the turn?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
fulteee Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £6.22
Lambert180 Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £11.14
SHENNY75 Big blind   £0.08 £0.20 £7.92
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

pawkiep Fold        
jayboy890 Call   £0.08 £0.28 £6.30
SHENNY75 Raise   £0.16 £0.44 £7.76
geordie108 Fold        
fulteee Call   £0.20 £0.64 £6.02
Lambert180 Raise   £0.72 £1.36 £10.42
jayboy890 Fold        
SHENNY75 Call   £0.56 £1.92 £7.20
fulteee Call   £0.56 £2.48 £5.46
Flop

• J
  • A

fulteee Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £1.50 £3.98 £8.92
SHENNY75 Call   £1.50 £5.48 £5.70
fulteee Fold        
Turn

• Q

Lambert180 Check        
SHENNY75 Check        
River

Lambert180 All-in   £8.92 £14.40 £0.00
SHENNY75 All-in   £5.70 £20.10 £0.00
Lambert180 Unmatched bet   £3.22 £16.88 £3.22
Lambert180 Show
  • A
  • A

SHENNY75 Show
  • Q
  • J

Lambert180 Win Three Aces £15.61   £18.83

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Your line is fine imo. 

Well, im not sure id shove otr cos id expect nearly everything we beat to fold but you got his stack so i should stfu.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: 8NL - Checking a set of Aces on the Turn?:
    Your line is fine imo.  Well, im not sure id shove otr cos id expect nearly everything we beat to fold but you got his stack so i should stfu.
    Posted by percival09
    Is that rude? just asking like!!!!

Fwiw i shove pre all day long hic, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2012
    stfu = Shut the ... up
  • edited October 2012
    just keep betting for value.

what 'weaker part of his range' is there on a board like this? he's got at least a pair so if he's willing to call the flop then hes obviously gonna call a turn bet without a K imo. why are you shoving the river blank if you're not betting the turn? a check behind isn't always the green light that they've not got anything

i like your bet sizing pre, but i would personally make it £2 on the flop
  • edited October 2012
    I'd bet flop bigger on that board, but sizing ok. B/c tirn
  • edited October 2012
    tbh i think this guy would have called no matter what he had going by how this has went. line is good but got to think if you did this against me on the turn is a great bluffing situation for the villian if you were against me and you checked i would have prob shoved on you. question is as ive passed the hard decision onto you is would you call knowing alot of the time you are beat. just think of that next time board comes like that mate. shove on the river worked but again normaly your only getting called by the king or if your lucky lower set.

imo i would just bet turn following your cbet and if he has king he would mainly raise then you know exactly where you are
  • edited October 2012
    @ DrRunGood - That's the whole point, it's supposed to look weak. He only has a pot sized bet after the flop, if he has the K then I'm going broke if I check, and I'm going broke if I bet so the times he has a K, the result is already decided. The only thing I have control over are the times he doesn't have a K. If he shoved the turn, then I snap call, if he's got it, so be it.
  • edited October 2012