You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The October Monday low stakes multi-table cash grind tonight 2p/4p -STOKEFC and BUFC please confirm

13»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hey VonnyDee....you make an interesting point about people playing differently against me and think thats probably true but as Lambert said that would be multi-accounting which is a big no-no for ANYONE who plays online poker let alone someone who does work on the TV channel!  BTW well played today I did notice you sitting there :)

Anyway so first session over.  Will just put the figures up and then do a review post.  I played about 5 minutes over as I totally forgot about the time limit and was just enjoying it!

Profit of £25.38
    C4Ps of 138

Hopefully Tommy will be along when he has a spare minute to confirm the amounts and I will also have a look over Lamberts data and get the winners out....
  • edited October 2012
    Stokefc and BUFC got 134 and 142 respectively for the C4P guess so they're both the closest being 4 points away... dunno what you wanna do.

And I make it that kirbsuk83 is the closest on profit with £24.28

Well played folksand well played Ryan
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah Paul thats exactly what I was gonna post! 

So the winners of the free seats are:

kirbsuk83
    Stokefc
    BUFC

Now obviously Sky only provided 2 free seats but as it was my fault for not stipulating what to do if there was a tiebreak I think the fairest thing to do is award 3 seats (I will donate the extra seat out of my account balance if needs be!) into a Friday Night Rebuy Open.  

Can you please all post on this thread confirming that this Friday is ok for you all to be registered for this tournie.

• edited October 2012
    well played ryan
  • edited October 2012
    I have taken a few moments away from being pwned by Beaneh at the cash tables to confirm that Ryan's numbers are indeed correct.

Congrats to the winners!!
  • edited October 2012
    the extra 5 mins did for me, i got to learn to let go! well played and gl on your journey thru the levels !  ( not that i think you need it ) lol
  • edited October 2012
    Ok here's a quick review of what I thought of 4nl

1.  A LOT of limping.  It wasn't uncommon to see 3 limpers.  Also when I'd make it 7/8/9x from the blinds I usually got at least 1 or 2 callers.

2.  There wasn't as much 'splashing' around as I'd thought there would be.  A lot of good decent regs at this level, who were playing multiple tables. 

3.  Bet/folding is generally gonna be your friend.  I value bet folded a lot of decent hands on the river. 

4.  A lot of the players are generally passive.  I saw a lot of people just call pre with KK/QQ/JJ pre.  If they 3bet you its gonna be AA.

5.  I think I played too tight in terms of my 3betting pre range.  I should have def loosened it up considering how passive people were.  The only players who I recall 3betting light were DrRunGood and EvilPingu, and that was because I've player with them higher up and of course seen lots of hands of theirs on the forum and TV channel.

6.  One thing that I didn't expect was how easy it was to forget about my opening size.  I usually go for a 3x but always advocate on the show to go for a 4x open at the lower levels.  When I was grinding I just forgot that I was playing 4nl and just instinctively went for the 3x open.

7. It was so so weird playing 'readless'.  Usually when I play 12 tables its gonna be with a lot of people who I have played with for years and over thousands and thousands of hands and all my deciions are pretty much instant.  With no reads it did make it a bit harder  to grind 12 tables than usual.  

Just shows you how important it is to get the hands in with the 'regs' of the level to get to that point where you just 'know' how they play.

8.  Liquidity was really good.  Tonnes of tables.  And I only had 2 or 3 tables 'break' so didn't have to spend much time in the lobby looking for new ones which when you are grinding lots is a big bonus.

9.  Cash 4 points went a bit slower than I expected, but over the course of a month then they will of course add up to a pretty decent total.  I would have guessed something like 180ish for a 4 hour session....I did only play 35 mins of happy hour tho and I didn't really play shorthanded to take advantage of the Earlybird promo.  

I think I should have added in some of the 5p/5p action tables too.  Will def have a couple of those in during next weeks session.  I think that if you are a 4nl grinder then def looking at shots at 8nl as soon as you feel comfortable is a great idea.

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The October Monday low stakes multi-table cash grind tonight 2p/4p -SEE PAGE 4 FOR THE WINNERS OF THE COMP:
    the extra 5 mins did for me, i got to learn to let go! well played and gl on your journey thru the levels !  ( not that i think you need it ) lol
    Posted by ryderroo
    yeah you were pretty unlucky to run into the basically the only hand were I can jam with there!  its always good to have the ability to turn your hand into a bluff tho so you just made the right move at the wrong time sir.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The October Monday low stakes multi-table cash grind tonight 2p/4p -SEE PAGE 4 FOR THE WINNERS OF THE COMP:
    In Response to Re: The October Monday low stakes multi-table cash grind tonight 2p/4p -SEE PAGE 4 FOR THE WINNERS OF THE COMP : yeah you were pretty unlucky to run into the basically the only hand were I can jam with there!  its always good to have the ability to turn your hand into a bluff tho so you just made the right move at the wrong time sir.
    Posted by scotty77
    thank you, not quite a free lesson but hopefully one i,ll learn from, again all the best!
  • edited October 2012
    Great idea Ryan, I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from this.

I'm just getting into cash these days, moving over from MTTs and HUSNGs so this is good timing for me.

I was on a table with you briefly last night and did play differently than I would against other players, I basically kept out of the way unless I got a super strong hand (which i didn't) and focussed on other players where I might have an edge.

One question, if you are playing that many tables are you more focussed on hand selection and position than getting reads on the table? I noticed you played pretty tight and played aggressively with cards such as QQ.

Maybe it comes with practise but I struggle to get reads on players when playing more than one or two tables, but maybe I just need to concentrate more :-)

Look forward to reading the rest of the thread, this is a really interesting experiment.

Cheers,
    Doug

p.s. my laptop keyboard is knackered so please ignore any strange typos, in the process of migrating to a new one :-)
  • edited October 2012
    I'm good for Friday night Ryan ... Many thanks for the freebie :-)
  • edited October 2012

Very well played Ryan.

If the three players confirm on this thread that they are fine to play this Friday, I'll sort it out. I'm sure we can stretch to one extra prize.

Thanks also to Paul for doing the summary.
  • edited October 2012
    Great feedback ryan thankyou
  • edited October 2012
    Great idea Ryan, I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from this. I'm just getting into cash these days, moving over from MTTs and HUSNGs so this is good timing for me. I was on a table with you briefly last night and did play differently than I would against other players, I basically kept out of the way unless I got a super strong hand (which i didn't) and focussed on other players where I might have an edge.  One question, if you are playing that many tables are you more focussed on hand selection and position than getting reads on the table? I noticed you played pretty tight and played aggressively with cards such as QQ.  Maybe it comes with practise but I struggle to get reads on players when playing more than one or two tables, but maybe I just need to concentrate more :-)  Look forward to reading the rest of the thread, this is a really interesting experiment. Cheers, Doug p.s. my laptop keyboard is knackered so please ignore any strange typos, in the process of migrating to a new one :-)
    Posted by DOOOOG
    Yep I played super tight, especially early on.  I think I played too tight actually and could have opened up, but if you play good solid TAG poker at these levels you really can't go far wrong. Solid fundamentals are such a massive part of the game and most people who have worked their way up thru the levels generally have learnt their education of poker following  this (relatively) simple strategy. 

It is hard getting reads when 12 tabling but its just something that comes with practice.

And a BUMP for Stokefc and BUFC to confirm their availability for this friday
  • edited October 2012
    im available,thank you Ryan and sky poker,this is why this forum is the biz,think of two numbers win a free tourney,where else can you get that,thanks again.sean...
  • edited October 2012
    Hi guys, if at all possible could I please have my entry for next Friday (12th) as I'm actually going to a pub £15 FO Hold 'Em game this Friday! Thanks a lot for this.
  • edited October 2012
    if you play good solid TAG poker at these levels you really can't go far wrong. Solid fundamentals are such a massive part of the game and most people who have worked their way up thru the levels generally have learnt their education of poker following  this (relatively) simple strategy.  It is hard getting reads when 12 tabling but its just something that comes with practice.
    Posted by scotty77
     Thanks Ryan, I'll bear this in mind. Looking forward to seeing the video of you playing, will be interesting to see how you manage all those tables.

Cheers,
    Doug
  • edited October 2012
    WD Scotty - Didn,t expect you to reach 138pts but the extra 5 mins and donating a few pence from myself probably cost me on the cash target.

I,ve got a question on the c4p. It pays x amount of points per 20 hands, but if you sit out for a hand ( say your multibaling or get distracted ) does the 20 hands start again from scratch or just carry on when you sit back in?

Example - If you,ve played 3 orbits (18 hands) the sit out for a hand then carry on are you playing your 19th hand or does it reset to 0?

Hope i,ve made this clear

Paul
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: The October Monday low stakes multi-table cash grind tonight 2p/4p -STOKEFC and BUFC please confirm free entry date:
    WD Scotty - Didn,t expect you to reach 138pts but the extra 5 mins and donating a few pence from myself probably cost me on the cash target. I,ve got a question on the c4p. It pays x amount of points per 20 hands, but if you sit out for a hand ( say your multibaling or get distracted ) does the 20 hands start again from scratch or just carry on when you sit back in? Example - If you,ve played 3 orbits (18 hands) the sit out for a hand then carry on are you playing your 19th hand or does it reset to 0? Hope i,ve made this clear Paul
    Posted by MP33
    I am 99.9pc sure that every hand is counted.  It's not clear on the lower stakes, as it takes a lot longer for them to gather, but if I am playing say 1/2 for a few hands then my poker points will go up a notch each time.

• edited October 2012
    So to confirm that the competition winners will be entered in the Friday Night Rebuy open:

kirbsuk83  this Friday, the 5th
    Stokefc     this Friday, the 5th
    BUFC        next Friday, the 12th

Same competition available next week so keep an eye out on the forum from Sunday for the thread to get your guesses in!  Will also try and find my microphone and get a short video up.
  • edited October 2012

Those three Free Entries have all been arranged now.

Good luck lads.